The Student Room Group

choosing between drama or DT for GCSE

hi everyone,
I am currently in year 9 and picking my GCSE options (I'm so nervous) I have decided on my other options which are history and Spanish. I am stuck whether to choose drama or DT textiles. I like both drama and DT textiles and have read some information about the both pros and cons of the subjects. I really have no idea what to choose and desperately need some advice on maybe someone who has some experience of the subjects? I just have no idea what to choose!
thank you so much!
Whichever you prefer honestly

But I do DT and it is ALOT of theory. We've been in the only workshop once (I'm in year 10).
If you don't like the theory element of it, then do not pick DT.
So far, we've done things like smart materials, different types of production, sustainability, carbon footprint, ergonomics / anthropometrics etc.
Original post by Bill Nye
Whichever you prefer honestly

But I do DT and it is ALOT of theory. We've been in the only workshop once (I'm in year 10).
If you don't like the theory element of it, then do not pick DT.
So far, we've done things like smart materials, different types of production, sustainability, carbon footprint, ergonomics / anthropometrics etc.

idk how much coursework there is but i do food tech and it felt like a lot of theory in year 10 but thats cus we covered the theory in year 10 and were doing the coursework and compared to other subjects its nowhere near as much content to learn
Original post by NetNeutrality
idk how much coursework there is but i do food tech and it felt like a lot of theory in year 10 but thats cus we covered the theory in year 10 and were doing the coursework and compared to other subjects its nowhere near as much content to learn

At the moment we're doing a mock nea, which apparently our teacher is willing to take as long as up to the end of the year to complete (as it will help our real nea) and we have not covered much of the theory so it's not looking great but hey :tongue:
I do BTEC drama but for my first year (im in year 10) i was on the GCSE course and there wasnt a lot of written work but there wasnt little either, but what we had to do i found quite easy as you had to write an analysis of a play/production you watched this was easy purely for the fact it was like anaysis in english lit. You would talk about the effects certain lines or lighting changes or sounds had on the audience, so you can just write how it made you feel. You also have simple questions that may ask terminology ie you could be given a picture of a stage and asked to identify whether it is thrust, end-on, or in-the-round. Any questions feel free to ask! :biggrin:
Reply 5
At the moment we're doing a mock nea, which apparently our teacher is willing to take as long as up to the end of the year to complete (as it will help our real nea) and we have not covered much of the theory so it's not looking great but hey :tongue:

do you enjoy it? is it hard or boring becuase i really dont know what to choose between DT textiles or Drama!
Reply 6
(Original post by Eibba-chu)I do BTEC drama but for my first year (im in year 10) i was on the GCSE course and there wasnt a lot of written work but there wasnt little either, but what we had to do i found quite easy as you had to write an analysis of a play/production you watched this was easy purely for the fact it was like anaysis in english lit. You would talk about the effects certain lines or lighting changes or sounds had on the audience, so you can just write how it made you feel. You also have simple questions that may ask terminology ie you could be given a picture of a stage and asked to identify whether it is thrust, end-on, or in-the-round. Any questions feel free to ask! :biggrin:

Original post by Eibba-chu
I do BTEC drama but for my first year (im in year 10) i was on the GCSE course and there wasnt a lot of written work but there wasnt little either, but what we had to do i found quite easy as you had to write an analysis of a play/production you watched this was easy purely for the fact it was like anaysis in english lit. You would talk about the effects certain lines or lighting changes or sounds had on the audience, so you can just write how it made you feel. You also have simple questions that may ask terminology ie you could be given a picture of a stage and asked to identify whether it is thrust, end-on, or in-the-round. Any questions feel free to ask! :biggrin:

thanks so much for replying! do you enjoy drama ? i have pros and cons for both drama and dt so im really not sure what to choose. any thoughts?

ah we did those too but they didnt take ridiculously long lol
Reply 8
DT
Original post by emmaas
(Original post by Eibba-chu)I do BTEC drama but for my first year (im in year 10) i was on the GCSE course and there wasnt a lot of written work but there wasnt little either, but what we had to do i found quite easy as you had to write an analysis of a play/production you watched this was easy purely for the fact it was like anaysis in english lit. You would talk about the effects certain lines or lighting changes or sounds had on the audience, so you can just write how it made you feel. You also have simple questions that may ask terminology ie you could be given a picture of a stage and asked to identify whether it is thrust, end-on, or in-the-round. Any questions feel free to ask! :biggrin:

thanks so much for replying! do you enjoy drama ? i have pros and cons for both drama and dt so im really not sure what to choose. any thoughts?

I do enjoy doing drama its fun and i get to go to the theater often. My friend does DT and she reckons it crap (but don't let that change your mind) because her class ended up doing a lot of theory since she has a lot of tw*ts in her class.
Original post by emmaas
hi everyone,
I am currently in year 9 and picking my GCSE options (I'm so nervous) I have decided on my other options which are history and Spanish. I am stuck whether to choose drama or DT textiles. I like both drama and DT textiles and have read some information about the both pros and cons of the subjects. I really have no idea what to choose and desperately need some advice on maybe someone who has some experience of the subjects? I just have no idea what to choose!
thank you so much!

I take DT and I'll just say that it consists of a lot of theory such as the use and qualities of metals, board, papers, wood..., types of production, design methods, mathy stuff, social/ cultural contexts in design.

My friend who does Drama essentially has an essay ever week and they can be quite extensive. Considering you're already doing History perhaps drama might be too much.
Hello,I'm in year 9 too!!!!And i'm just about to choose my options.Just like you, I'm taking spanish and history too...It's totally up to you what you choose for your GCSE's.But I think you should take drama, especially if you are not a confident person, and drama is so much more fun :smile:
DT textiles however, well...you need to do ALOT of work towards that, and you need to be good at drawing as well ( for designing what you're going to make ).For DT textiles as well...you need to have lots of patience, and if you dont have that then this subject is probably not for you. But like I said - it's totally up to you - but I hope this helps a little!!!!
Lilly
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest