The Student Room Group

Motivation to revise please!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ggxsywes
legit?? legit havent looked at it since???

okay that's gonna be quite a lot of remembering to do..you can still get the A*.

seriously, nothing is stopping you. it's not like you havent done the a level before. you have.
identify what u did wrong last year and dedicate 4 solid hours tomorrow. seriously do it. i'm gonna ask u tomorrow to see if u've done it

Ahaha thanks for your support! I think I need 80% in the AS modules too unfortunately (I can’t retake them as it’s now transitioned to the new A level) so I can get a maximum of an A. Yeah I’ve gone through a few chapters today and it’s coming back😂
Original post by Bazyli
Ahaha thanks for your support! I think I need 80% in the AS modules too unfortunately (I can’t retake them as it’s now transitioned to the new A level) so I can get a maximum of an A. Yeah I’ve gone through a few chapters today and it’s coming back😂

oh my bad, then, an A.
I'm gladddd uve started. don't feel like it's too late. it isn't. you have like 110 ish days right? you have plenty of time. but make sure u start now and u dont stop.
Original post by Bazyli
So I’m on a gap year and achieved AAA in my a levels, but a D grade in maths, which I’m retaking. I have an unconditional offer to study at LSE and I have not yet started revision for maths. Can someone please give me some motivation lol, I feel as though I’ve accomplished everything but I know the D can be vastly improved😁. Thanks!!

I’ve also seen some IB internships value an A grade in maths a level, as well as several others so would it be beneficial??

I have just read https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chimp-Paradox-Management-Programme-Confidence/dp/009193558X and it states something that really resonated with me. There is no point trying to be motivated because you're in a constant change of differening emotions and levels of energy, what is important and what you should be striving for is commitment. Commitment is what will get you to revise when the motivation isn't there. So, even if you start with doing 30 mins a day, with 3 A's you've obviously already proved that you are capable. Now in the nicest way possible get your heinie off TSR and open your textbook. You will thank me when you get that 4th A!
Reply 23
Original post by lavender_rose
I have just read https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chimp-Paradox-Management-Programme-Confidence/dp/009193558X and it states something that really resonated with me. There is no point trying to be motivated because you're in a constant change of differening emotions and levels of energy, what is important and what you should be striving for is commitment. Commitment is what will get you to revise when the motivation isn't there. So, even if you start with doing 30 mins a day, with 3 A's you've obviously already proved that you are capable. Now in the nicest way possible get your heinie off TSR and open your textbook. You will thank me when you get that 4th A!

Thanks for replying! That has motivated me in a way. I am looking at a finance-related position so getting a good grade in maths could be a good stepping stone for this. I think for the A* in maths you need 80% in each module, or maybe it’s an average? I’ll investigate
Reply 24
Original post by ggxsywes
oh my bad, then, an A.
I'm gladddd uve started. don't feel like it's too late. it isn't. you have like 110 ish days right? you have plenty of time. but make sure u start now and u dont stop.

Thanks, I’ll definitely put in few hours tomorrow. I’ll do some in my lunch break and another couple after work and then break it up with going to the gym or something. I think you actually need an 80% average and 90% across the A2 modules, so that A* is becoming tempting now😂
Reply 25
I used to have problems with ‘motivation’. I don’t anymore, because I’ve fully internalised the notion that motivation is a myth. In fact, I think we’d all be much happier and get much more done if we scrubbed the word motivation from our vocabulary altogether.Here’s a quote from one of my favourite articles on the subject:Motivation, broadly speaking, operates on the erroneous assumption that a particular mental or emotional state is necessary to complete a task.Put simply, motivation is waiting until you feel like doing something before doing it. Discipline on the other hand, is doing it regardless of how you’re feeling about it. Here’s another fun quote:At its core, chasing motivation is insistence on the infantile fantasy that we should only be doing things we feel like doing. The problem is then framed thus: “How do I get myself to feel like doing what I have rationally decided to do?”. Bad. The proper question is “How do I make my feelings inconsequential and do the things I consciously want to do without being a little ***** about it?”.-Ali Abdaal
Reply 26
Original post by JMD123
I used to have problems with ‘motivation’. I don’t anymore, because I’ve fully internalised the notion that motivation is a myth. In fact, I think we’d all be much happier and get much more done if we scrubbed the word motivation from our vocabulary altogether.Here’s a quote from one of my favourite articles on the subject:Motivation, broadly speaking, operates on the erroneous assumption that a particular mental or emotional state is necessary to complete a task.Put simply, motivation is waiting until you feel like doing something before doing it. Discipline on the other hand, is doing it regardless of how you’re feeling about it. Here’s another fun quote:At its core, chasing motivation is insistence on the infantile fantasy that we should only be doing things we feel like doing. The problem is then framed thus: “How do I get myself to feel like doing what I have rationally decided to do?”. Bad. The proper question is “How do I make my feelings inconsequential and do the things I consciously want to do without being a little ***** about it?”.-Ali Abdaal

That’s an interesting quote. I think I do just need to become disciplined with putting in a couple of hours every day during the week and really push myself. I missed out on my firm last summer as I missed the A*, but now I have a place at LSE I feel accomplished😂. Maybe it’ll feel even better if I get an A* in maths. Thanks for your reply
Wow, got 3 As, an unconditional from LSE, and you still want people to suck you off? You are a huge narcissist.
Reply 28
Original post by RevisionWorld66
Wow, got 3 As, an unconditional from LSE, and you still want people to suck you off? You are a huge narcissist.

Maybe I just have higher expectations of myself? Sorry if this thread offends you so much...
Original post by Bazyli
Maybe I just have higher expectations of myself?

Then why do you need motivation?
Reply 30
Then why do you need motivation?

Because I kind of can’t be bothered and just need some energy to revise.

Despite what I’ve achieved so far, I still got a D in maths which I’m really not proud of. I didn’t intend to come across as narcissistic so I’m sorry if you feel that way
Original post by Bazyli
Because I kind of can’t be bothered and just need some energy to revise.

Despite what I’ve achieved so far, I still got a D in maths which I’m really not proud of. I didn’t intend to come across as narcissistic so I’m sorry if you feel that way

It's okay you did 3 A-Levels and got As so if I were you I'd want to get myself sucked off as well.
Reply 32
It's okay you did 3 A-Levels and got As so if I were you I'd want to get myself sucked off as well.

Well I got rejected from my dream course on results day so actually it doesn’t feel like such a great achievement. I’m happy to help if you’d like any advice though.
Original post by Bazyli
Well I got rejected from my dream course on results day so actually it doesn’t feel like such a great achievement. I’m happy to help if you’d like any advice though.

Okay I got 2 Es and a U in my January Mock and I'm in Year 13, how do I not disappoint my parents and get the best grades possible?
Reply 34
Okay I got 2 Es and a U in my January Mock and I'm in Year 13, how do I not disappoint my parents and get the best grades possible?

So which subjects do you study? Did you genuinely revise for those mocks? You can get the grades you want still, you have time
Original post by Bazyli
Thanks for replying! That has motivated me in a way. I am looking at a finance-related position so getting a good grade in maths could be a good stepping stone for this. I think for the A* in maths you need 80% in each module, or maybe it’s an average? I’ll investigate

Hey remember what I said about motivation, it is trivial. The important thing is that you have commitment that is what will drive you to revision and not the often unobtainable motivation. That sounds about right but of course it depends on your institution and probably the exam board, good luck with the investigation and of course with the revision.

Quick Reply

Latest