The Student Room Group

What are the most OVERRATED A level subjects?

Thought it'd be fun to chat about, and hopefully make me feel better about my own a level choices (as long as no one picks 'em)
Reply 1
history
Original post by Zasty
history

ouch, 1st one struck off my list, yikes. What a levels did you do?
Definitely agree with history! I’m in Year 13 now, and there’s SO much information to remember, literally over 100 years of key events, people and changes, all for 1 exam.
Original post by chloedeniselewis
Definitely agree with history! I’m in Year 13 now, and there’s SO much information to remember, literally over 100 years of key events, people and changes, all for 1 exam.

What exam board do you do? It sounds different to the one I'm gonna do - we're doing about tudors, american civil rights and german history..
Original post by XKangaotiCX
Thought it'd be fun to chat about, and hopefully make me feel better about my own a level choices (as long as no one picks 'em)

What do you mean by overrated? Who is doing the rating and what is it?
Reply 6
Design and technology, geography and English Literature.
WJEC! And those are the exact topics I’ve done / am doing. I found the tudors really hard (was a 100 years topic), as within each topic there were so many different name, events, causes, consequences, etc. German history was pretty easy last year, (I managed to get an A on the paper) as I had done it from year 9-12. And we’re currently doing ‘The American Century’ which had both civil right and foreign policy in it, and I found the ‘early days’ of civil rights to be quite difficult to remember, and I struggle with the foreign policy side of it as there is so much information!
Original post by 999tigger
What do you mean by overrated? Who is doing the rating and what is it?

I don't mean it in such a literal sense, but an a level subject which loads of people do that isn't that great is basically what I mean
Original post by chloedeniselewis
WJEC! And those are the exact topics I’ve done / am doing. I found the tudors really hard (was a 100 years topic), as within each topic there were so many different name, events, causes, consequences, etc. German history was pretty easy last year, (I managed to get an A on the paper) as I had done it from year 9-12. And we’re currently doing ‘The American Century’ which had both civil right and foreign policy in it, and I found the ‘early days’ of civil rights to be quite difficult to remember, and I struggle with the foreign policy side of it as there is so much information!

Ah, I get it. I didn't think the tudors lasted that long lel... would you say history is interesting though?
Original post by Crow_M
Design and technology, geography and English Literature.

Geography is an L! I've taken it... Rather have taken Economics still
I don't mean it in such a literal sense, but an a level subject which loads of people do that isn't that great is basically what I mean

Great as in what though?

How difficult it is? How interesting it is?
Honestly, I find the civil rights section, as well as the nazi Germany section really interesting, as they are subjects everyone knows a little about, but actually massively affected many’s lives, but I found the Tudor side of it really boring, I couldn’t motivate myself to revise properly for the exam, and even thought I got a C on the paper, I really struggled with it, as the paper is just 2 essay questions, unlike the usual source, interpretations style questions / essay questions that are on the Germany paper!
Ah, I get it. I didn't think the tudors lasted that long lel... would you say history is interesting though?

Interesting and stressful like none of my other A Levels.
Original post by BasicMistake
Great as in what though?

How difficult it is? How interesting it is?

Well, it's down to interpretation, so both difficulty and interest can be considered.

Quick Reply

Latest