The Student Room Group

Funding for 5 year medicine and intercalation year?!

I’ve got a place at med school to start in September 2019 and I’ve just been looking at student finance.

I’m a bit confused how the student loan works as from what I can see student finance only fund the first four years? I’m also hoping to intercalate, hence spending a total of 6 years at uni.

I’d really appreciate if anyone was able to tell me how my course will be funded each year? (Both tuition and maintenance?)
Original post by Kara_h
I’ve got a place at med school to start in September 2019 and I’ve just been looking at student finance.

I’m a bit confused how the student loan works as from what I can see student finance only fund the first four years? I’m also hoping to intercalate, hence spending a total of 6 years at uni.

I’d really appreciate if anyone was able to tell me how my course will be funded each year? (Both tuition and maintenance?)

Hi Kara,

Are you studying undergradaute or graduate entry medicine?

Thanks, Chanel
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Chanel
Hi Kara,

Are you studying undergradaute or graduate entry medicine?

Thanks, Chanel

I’ll be starting undergraduate September 2019
Original post by Kara_h
I’ll be starting undergraduate September 2019

Hi Kara,

Students can receive the usual package of support available to undergraduates in their first 4 years of study.

In the 5th and subsequent years of study they are entitled to an income-assessed NHS bursary and therefore, the reduced rate of maintenance loan only from SFE.

If a student has intercalated during their course (i.e attended a different course for a year to receive further qualifications) then that year contributes to the students 4 years of study.

Your entitlement for this course is subject to previous study meaning if you have studied before this would affect your entitlement.

Thanks, Chanel
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Chanel
Hi Kara,

Students can receive the usual package of support available to undergraduates in their first 4 years of study.

In the 5th and subsequent years of study they are entitled to an income-assessed NHS bursary and therefore, the reduced rate of maintenance loan only from SFE.

If a student has intercalated during their course (i.e attended a different course for a year to receive further qualifications) then that year contributes to the students 4 years of study.

Your entitlement for this course is subject to previous study meaning if you have studied before this would affect your entitlement.

Thanks, Chanel

Thank you so much for the info!
Original post by Kara_h
Thank you so much for the info!

Hello Kara,

Your welcome, if you need any further help please let us know.

Thanks, Lynsey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending