The Student Room Group

Charged £1032 for international call

Thank you to those who helped!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Just come clean and pay the bill. Say you want to just settle it and get it over and done with.

Ask if they can arrange for an installment plan rather than paying the £1k up front.
Honestly, 1k seems like a lot of money now but when you are in a full time job (or even in the hunt for one) it won't seem like any money at all.
Reply 3
Original post by Blue_Cow
Just come clean and pay the bill. Say you want to just settle it and get it over and done with.

Ask if they can arrange for an installment plan rather than paying the £1k up front.

Did I make things worse for myself by lying?
Screwed : Contact them and come clean ASAP, they're obv going to find your lying.

They MIGHT take pity and wipe it as a one off.....esp if most of the call is silence, but it sounds a bit too irresponsible for them to accept tbh, if you wait till they call/write to confront you? no chance.
(edited 5 years ago)
They're not the police so probably not...

but get off TSR now and just call the back for goodness sake, before they do actually investigate
Reply 6
Original post by Blue_Cow
They're not the police so probably not...

but get off TSR now and just call the back for goodness sake, before they do actually investigate

They said that they’re going to investigate even if I do decide to just pay it off, like once it’s logged, it’s gonna happen
I wouldn't worry about the investigation - IF - you pay.

Once you give them their money, sure they may still have to follow through to fullfill their protocol, but nothing will come of it - as you have already given them what they want.

I would never imagine any kind of punishment/extra fine or anything like that, as long as you pay what they want now.

As the poster above said, if you don't have the cash, negotiate some kind of installment plan, or borrow from family.

(Next time, make sure you are calling through the internet, and if you are not sure - use an APP that is internet-only to call, so it can't possibly run up your phone bill. Or if you think you need the option to call him not using the internet, get the international upgrades/extras on your account, you will have to pay for them but its a lot less then the cost of international calling when you don't have them. I get wanting to fall asleep on video/voice chat - me and my wife did it a lot when we were long-distance and one of us felt bad/lonely.. just suck it up as a mistake, and learn from it next time)
do pay it. that's rediculous call it fraud
Reply 9
Looks like I need a new phone,
I don't think mine would last 10 hours making a call, ..even on a full charge
If you pay the 1k they won’t care. If you don’t and they find out you’re lying you could get in serious trouble as it’s fraud. You shouldn’t have lied and now you have to pay the consequences. Nothing you can do now apart from pay up and hope that they don’t take any further actions
Reply 11
Original post by CollectiveSoul
Honestly, 1k seems like a lot of money now but when you are in a full time job (or even in the hunt for one) it won't seem like any money at all.

Whoa. What job do you do that 1k doesn't seem like much?
Original post by Daigan
Whoa. What job do you do that 1k doesn't seem like much?

a normal one. think about it... suppose it takes you 3 months after uni to find a good graduate job rather than 2, thats about 1.5k of money
Come clean and tell them what you've told us.

They may be willing to drop the charge on the length of the call which was silent.
How come your boyfriend didn't notice either? Will cost him some money too as it is international
Were you not on WiFi or something? How much data does facetime audio use?

My girlfriend and I always use WhatsApp calling. Uses hardly any data.
lmao and to make it worse u get put on the tsr home page
£1000 phone bill - lied to get out of it, help!
Original post by MrMusician95
Were you not on WiFi or something? How much data does facetime audio use?

My girlfriend and I always use WhatsApp calling. Uses hardly any data.

She accidentally did a normal phone call, not FaceTime.
Reply 18
Original post by CollectiveSoul
a normal one. think about it... suppose it takes you 3 months after uni to find a good graduate job rather than 2, thats about 1.5k of money

I'd be with you if you'd said a couple of hundred, but 1k i'd defo feel.
Original post by SJW-
lmao and to make it worse u get put on the tsr home page
£1000 phone bill - lied to get out of it, help!

At least they left out she tried to frame her little brother :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending