The Student Room Group

Martin Luther's De Servo Arbitrio “On the Enslaved Will” or The Bondage of Will"

Dear Students,
Martin Luther was certainly a bold and courageous individual.
Has anyone read his work? If so, can you give me your opinion on it and on Martin Luther's standpoint?
Look forward to hearing back from you.
Kind regards,
Chad
[delete later, I'm a fool]
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
Reading King's book was the best thing Laurie Prittchett could have done. That's why Albany in 1961 was a failure: the police knew their tactics. Similar thing to the tactics used by Ghandi in India. Fill thr jails, and once the jails are full, use your remaining people to continue protests. You should have enough people to do this with.

However, if the police are going to empty all their jails (ie move prisoners temporarily to other areas) then they'll manage to keep you all there, they won't get full.

My opinion is that if you're going to successfully protest, don't write a book explaining how.

Hello,
Thank you for your response.
Unfortunately, it is a different Martin Luther I am talking about. I am talking about the German Martin Luther.
Kind regards,
Chad
Original post by Horner94
Hello,
Thank you for your response.
Unfortunately, it is a different Martin Luther I am talking about. I am talking about the German Martin Luther.
Kind regards,
Chad
:facepalm: My bad I misread.
Reply 4
Only vaguely familiar with him because a couple of people I work with are into his theology. Bold decision to translate the Bible into German, though. We already know that the Papacy traditonally wanted to keep the Bible in the hands of the priesthood because this meant that the laity could not 'interpret' it on their own, thus consolidating their reliance on the priesthood. This is why they were so against the printing of the Bible under Alexander VI. He was very literally risking his life for much of his opinions and practices.
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
Only vaguely familiar with him because a couple of people I work with are into his theology. Bold decision to translate the Bible into German, though. We already know that the Papacy traditonally wanted to keep the Bible in the hands of the priesthood because this meant that the laity could not 'interpret' it on their own, thus consolidating their reliance on the priesthood. This is why they were so against the printing of the Bible under Alexander VI. He was very literally risking his life for much of his opinions and practices.

Hello,
Thanks for your response.
Yes, you are very right. But what about his books? Have you read the Small Catechism, or De Servo Arbitrio?
Kind regards,
Chad
Reply 6
Original post by Horner94
Hello,
Thanks for your response.
Yes, you are very right. But what about his books? Have you read the Small Catechism, or De Servo Arbitrio?
Kind regards,
Chad

Afraid not. I own versions of both, but getting round to spending any time with them is difficult during term time!

Quick Reply

Latest