The Student Room Group

fun gcses?

from your experience, what were the most fun,easy,stress-free gcse courses and which ones were boring, tedious and stressful?
i need to choose one more that will be a bit more enjoyable than my other choices.
(edited 2 years ago)
No such thing as fun gcse tbh, all of them are hard work.
For me the easiest was music as I already played two instruments before starting the course, enjoyed composing and knew a decent amount of music theory so that obviously helped, along with the fact that I rarely if ever got set homework. I can see how not everyone would be able to take music for gcse though, and not everyone who does music gcse will get set no homework, I’m sure my school is an exception!
If you’re choosing subjects, it sounds really cliche but seriously do what you enjoy, it will make the two years so much less painful!
(edited 5 years ago)
Catering/ “Food Technology” pretty easy to pass, got a A* - Full marks on the practical and the written paper.
Fun- textiles and both englishes
Original post by bluemuffin
No such thing as fun gcse tbh, all of them are hard work.
For me the easiest was music as I already played two instruments before starting the course, enjoyed composing and knew a decent amount of music theory so that obviously helped, along with the fact that I rarely if ever got set homework. I can see how not everyone would be able to take music for gcse though, and not everyone who does music gcse will get set no homework, I’m sure my school is an exception!
If you’re choosing subjects, it sounds really cliche but seriously do what you enjoy, it will make the two years so much less painful!

Lol same! Music was such a fun, stress free gcse.. no homework, chilled in lessons and got a good grade at the end of it. But obviously music isn't for everyone because a lot of people in my class picked it because it seemed 'easy' but didn't actually have any basic pre knowledge of music theory/ playing an instrument so they struggled with the composing parts and performing parts which meant they actually put way more time into it than intended.
Reply 5
Fun... at GCSE? This is a joke right?
Original post by JustLewis
Fun... at GCSE? This is a joke right?

Food technology- Teacher does the corse work for you, Cook a curry, explain food safety- BOOM full marks. Easy
There is no GCSE that exist which is "fun,easy,stress-free", if you want something stress free then you can drop out of school, nothing is handed to you on a plate.
Drama was deffo fun until we came to the written exam prep, but it wasn’t too bad. Absolutely loved doing class performances and small group devised work. Even if you’re not the most confident I think you’d enjoy it for sure.
Reply 9
Also, in my opinion. If a GCSE is fun, it is most likely not worth doing (unless it's actually something you are considering doing in the future) It's all well and good getting that easy GCSE but given to an employer, will they care that you can cook a curry (well I suppose if it was in a place to do with cooking then yes but THAT'S BESIDES THE POINT DAMMIT)
GCSE Drama was fun, but the exam was very hard to get a good grade in. GCSE ICT was easy but boring
Original post by JustLewis
Also, in my opinion. If a GCSE is fun, it is most likely not worth doing (unless it's actually something you are considering doing in the future) It's all well and good getting that easy GCSE but given to an employer, will they care that you can cook a curry (well I suppose if it was in a place to do with cooking then yes but THAT'S BESIDES THE POINT DAMMIT)

With GCSEs some that you pick are for fun or just bc you enjoy doing them, at least with me they were, rather than ‘I’m doing this because a future employer is going to want this gcse/I need this for uni’. And if youve chosen to do GCSEs you’re gonna do or think you’re gonna do for a levels, might as well use the other spaces for a more ‘fun’ gcse. thats what I think the person means. Creative subjects like textiles, engineering, drama, music etc are quite fun. If you like cooking and you wanna do it, go for it. Might as well do something you’re good at and that you like along with your core subjects.
(edited 5 years ago)
Whatever you do, just don't take business. That subject is a DRAG.
Original post by Redslayed
There is no GCSE that exist which is "fun,easy,stress-free", if you want something stress free then you can drop out of school, nothing is handed to you on a plate.

I agree.
for me art was fun.But work load was crazy
To those getting deep and saying don't pick a fun GCSE and sh** about employers:
It's GCSE. Who cares?
depends on the teachers, classmates and how well you learn.

R.E was fun as my classmates were goofy and did stupid stuff, we were in bottom set and we all eventually got A's (everyone lol). The teacher was also pretty chill and good at her job.

Engineering was fun as we did barely anything, we did no work and I still somehow got a distinction.

Art was also fun as everyone was goofy, and I really enjoyed drawing/painting as it was a stress reliever. The workload was fine with only 1 piece of art as homework.

It also depends on your school and what subjects you enjoy. How 'fun' a subject can be is affected by a lot of things.
Reply 17
you're not supposed to have fun until you hit college
Literally just pick what you're best at, nobody cares what subjects you did as long as you got good grades.
Fun and easy ; spanish, Re and drama. Im lazy in class, don’t revise and pull good grades in them.
The toughest subjects for me are literature and geography!

Quick Reply

Latest