The Student Room Group

Hp Envy 13, 2018 Apple MacBook Air, Microsoft Surface Laptop 2

I have been searching for weeks for a laptop to replace my current one which has died on me, I have been able to shortlists the ones I have found to the hp envy 13, 2018 MacBook Air and the surface laptop 2. All 3 meet the advice I was given a few weeks ago on here I.e 8gb of ram 256gb ssd and full hd. I would be using the laptop for general tasks such as college work, Netflix and web browsing. Dose anyone have any advice on which to choose

Thanks in advance
They're all great for that stuff, and (macbook pro aside) they're all relatively similar in terms of specs and price point options. It's mostly coming down to personal preference, so I'd head into a local John Lewis or PC World and try them all yourself, with particular attention to the keyboard and trackpad. I personally think the Surface Laptop 2 is the best premium notebook on the market, while swears by the XPS 13.
£1000 for "General tasks and Netflix" is absolutely stupid, getting a macbook is basically paying 2x for half the specs and a wholly subpar product, the other options are stupidly expensive for frankly not worth it for what you want to do, do you actually need an SSD? no are they handy? sure but it really should not be that much of a selling point but the 8gb is something that is a good idea.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-ip320s-14ikb-14-intel-core-i7-laptop-256-gb-ssd-grey-10169399-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

Decently priced, will do what you want well
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by AperfectBalance
£1000 for "General tasks and Netflix" is absolutely stupid, getting a macbook is basically paying 2x for half the specs and a wholly subpar product, the other options are stupidly expensive for frankly not worth it for what you want to do, do you actually need an SSD? no are they handy? sure but it really should not be that much of a selling point but the 8gb is something that is a good idea.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-ip320s-14ikb-14-intel-core-i7-laptop-256-gb-ssd-grey-10169399-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

Decently priced, will do what you want well and is not stupidly priced

I will only be paying a £300 difference as I had insurance on my previous laptop
Reply 4
Original post by AperfectBalance

Decently priced, will do what you want well and is not stupidly priced

I think I will go down to John Lewis and try them out
Well built. Debateable. Lightweight who cares unless the thing is seriously heavy or you have some real special need this whole super light stuff is pretty silly especially since you pay a stupid premium. It would hardly matter if you had 4 gb and were chugging along loading and running stuff if you had an ssd or not (some applications maybe) but I would rather have 8gb over an ssd, not that ssds are not handy
Swear the air has a garbage dual core.
Yeah, I only recommend macbooks within their refurbished section.
Reply 9
I really really like the Surface Laptop 2 but the port selection is pretty awful.
I got the higher spec version of the HP Envy 13 (with 16GB RAM, 8th gen core i7, 512GB SSD, geforce mx150) the other day and so far I'm loving it. It's extremely quick in everything it does, the specs will last long for you. I think the base model is good anyway with 8GB RAM and stuff, but I would certainly recommend this version if you could. It's very light too so I can take it places, and the battery life is reasonable.
Original post by Phildjm
I got the higher spec version of the HP Envy 13 (with 16GB RAM, 8th gen core i7, 512GB SSD, geforce mx150) the other day and so far I'm loving it. It's extremely quick in everything it does, the specs will last long for you. I think the base model is good anyway with 8GB RAM and stuff, but I would certainly recommend this version if you could. It's very light too so I can take it places, and the battery life is reasonable.

How long is the battery life?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending