The Student Room Group

have you ever been to a protest or been on a strike

you don't have to name the cause
but what was it like? was it worth it? would you go again?

Scroll to see replies

I have been on one march as a child, the Liberty and Livelihood March AKA Countryside March in 2002.

It was a great atmosphere but it achieved nothing, like most protests.
I was involved in a protest about a change to uniform at school. I didn't enjoy the detention afterwards, but it was worth it and we got our old uniform back :cool:
Yeah for this disabled somali guy. I forgot what happened to him but I have never been more scared. I had nightmares
No.
Too many to count.
Practically learned to walk on the picket line.
Strikes over pay/privatization/pensions/passenger safety, stop the war coalition, anti abortion.
Probably been dragged to more strikes & protest before I was ten years old then half of the Labour front bench have attended their over their whole careers.
Usually filled with hardcore loud, aggressive and eternally disgruntled trade unionists/ revolutionary cranks.
Tried every trick in the book to avoid being forced to go as a teenager, avoid like a hornets nest now.
Nope. Been on some rallies though, I remember one in Nuremberg being well done.
Original post by Decahedron
I have been on one march as a child, the Liberty and Livelihood March AKA Countryside March in 2002.

It was a great atmosphere but it achieved nothing, like most protests.

wow that must've been fun.
yeah that's the problem isn't it? achieves nothing :'(
Original post by girl_in_black
I was involved in a protest about a change to uniform at school. I didn't enjoy the detention afterwards, but it was worth it and we got our old uniform back :cool:

oh how fun. a small price to pay for a good change in the long term.
Original post by Rainfall
Yeah for this disabled somali guy. I forgot what happened to him but I have never been more scared. I had nightmares

o.o damn I hope you're okay
Original post by RichPiana
No.

same. I want to attend a protest soon but I don't like people.
Original post by londonmyst
Too many to count.
Tried every trick in the book to avoid being forced to go as a teenager, avoid like a hornets nest now.

oh your experience sounded incredibly unpleasant. interesting to see this insight in comparison to the other responses.

ooo. must've been fierce.
Original post by Andrew97
Nope. Been on some rallies though, I remember one in Nuremberg being well done.

ah I should've included that in the title too. sounds cool.
thanks y'all for the responses. i'm just wondering because protests/rallies on weekends can be pretty ineffective but strikes seem to make more impact. i'd love to go sometime if i muster the courage to but i'm not sure for what cause. it seems memorable but yh can be a waste of time....
Original post by PureHeroine

It was an amazing experience to be involved in the largest protest London has ever seen.

The only form of protest that works is violent protest, if MPs actually feared the people they would be a lot more careful.
Original post by Decahedron
It was an amazing experience to be involved in the largest protest London has ever seen.

The only form of protest that works is violent protest, if MPs actually feared the people they would be a lot more careful.

oh damn. i should've done my research after you posted that that looks impressive :eek:
fair enough i suppose large scale protests are better especially in modern society.

i'm not a fan of violence but i agree with you. unfortunately fear delivers the message effectively.

oh how fun. a small price to pay for a good change in the long term.

o.o damn I hope you're okay

same. I want to attend a protest soon but I don't like people.

oh your experience sounded incredibly unpleasant. interesting to see this insight in comparison to the other responses.

ooo. must've been fierce.

ah I should've included that in the title too. sounds cool.

Same. Don’t like being surrounded by all those people. The only time I don’t mind being surrounded by people is when I’m at a sports event.
oh damn. i should've done my research after you posted that that looks impressive :eek:
fair enough i suppose large scale protests are better especially in modern society.

i'm not a fan of violence but i agree with you. unfortunately fear delivers the message effectively.

Unless there is power held by the protestors it is utterly pointless because those in power can ignore it.

I'm not a fan of violence either but there isn't any other way to force change.
Reply 13
Yes, yes, fine, yes, yes.
Would never go to a protest- they achieve nothing and I believe there are more effective ways of changing the world frankly.

Would never go on strike. I might resign from my job completely but I would never strike.
I went to a protest and ended up agreeing with the people we were protesting against. I figured if all the insufferable knobs were here they must be doing something right.
Reply 16
never been myself, but i know friends who went to SFO airport in protest of trump's travel ban (there were new flight arrivals getting turned away because they were midflight when the travel ban went into effect). In my opinion, they're not effective, but friends say they're a good experience.
Nah. They tend not to do a lot and I hate the general vibe.
Reply 18
Only at a bowling alley.
Nope, if I wanted to make a load of noise and attract attention to myself and not really get much done in the long run, I'd take up CrossFit.

Quick Reply

Latest