The Student Room Group

Should i give up

Hard work doesn't pay off, I've been working hard yet I'm getting bad grades and It's February! I HAVE NO NOTES MADE! I've not practiced enough papers! I feel so under prepared, should I just give up because, I know I will fail anyways I will probably end up with 1's and U's
no, its all about your mindset, if you believe you can do well and work hard then you can achieve! get organised and make a timetable so you know that you will cover everthing eg break down the next month so that you can make revision resources for every subject and go from there. getting organised is really helpful when your stressed out! good luck :smile:
good please fail so the grade boundaries can be lowered praise the lord shove your mastercard up your arse.
Are you in year 11? so if i change my mindset i could achieve the grades, what frightens me the most is im scared if i work hard and end up getting sh*** grades. so I dont try as hard. Any advice?
Life gives you and all of us an opportunity take an approach the next day. There's many approaches to reach that limit. Don't worry abut the limits. Only do what's best for you, that you want to accomplish. Talk to your teacher. And don't worry about giving up because it eases you down. and I'm in the digital media class and it's my spring semester of 2019.My first semester was a start. I failed drawing I class.I was close to passing. I was a little upset because of how it effects my financial aid but I didn't let that bother me. I'm capable of doing what's best for me. But, I told myself that in 2019 I am gonna take a different approach. and always, don't rush.. You have time to do great things, but in the everyday life you can't accomplish everything.You don't have to rush to get a diploma, or a degree in a type of career field. Be open to any thing that you need. Talk about your feelings, and it's okay to be like this, but don't let yourself drown. I promise there's good in this world, it's just people they don't have a heart.(Caring) I know you do.You or anyone may not know but you do. If a little girl's ice cream had fell after taking a few licks, she would be upset. In our world today, people still think that it's not okay to buy something from a stranger, my point of this is that, there's good people who would do that because the good of where it comes from, originates from the deep unknown where it never sleeps. Meaning that people are awake and they will do what they think it's best.The mom tells the little girl after she dropped her ice cream that, she'll have to get another one at a later time, which means not tonight, just some other day. the mom doesn't have enough money left fro whatever else she may need. So, you buy her one and you become a kind person. If you was swimming in a lake, I would be there with you as others who care you about too. They care about your safety, and that you are growing and becoming you are destined to be. So, don't ever feel the need to give up. I'm happy to help. and My name is Reignny. I wish you the best that there is to come.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
You only need 2 months to pass your gcses, tried and tested.
ok give up.doesnt bother me. means one less person fight for my job. you want to do nothing be my guest.
Mind maps, mind maps for everything.😲
No distractions, real good revision
Original post by TheLukeManster
Hard work doesn't pay off, I've been working hard yet I'm getting bad grades and It's February! I HAVE NO NOTES MADE! I've not practiced enough papers! I feel so under prepared, should I just give up because, I know I will fail anyways I will probably end up with 1's and U's

If you think you have been working hard, then it should reflect on your grades. You clearly said you have no notes, and barely did past papers so it's pretty obvious why you have bad grades. So what did you exactly do as 'hard work'?

I know I shouldn't be saying all this as I Ieft revision until 4 weeks before, but I was stupid and thought GCSE's were pointless (still managed to get all A's tho hehe)
It is only February, and have you finished all the topics though?
Anyway, what you want to do is experiment with different kinds of revision methods and see which is the best for you.

But I suggest you read through all the textbooks for subjects like sciences, R.E or geography, try to learn a majority of the info day by day. You also don't need to do a lot of hours yet. Then apply what you have learned in past papers. Keep grinding and soon you will learn how the exam board wants you to answer questions.
I only used past papers and nothing else to revise. No notes, nothing. Mainly because I had no time :frown:
All I did was try past papers then if I got a question wrong I would check my school book or revision book from the exam board (if you don't have any, you can try your local library as I couldn't be bothered to buy them lol) to help me answer, or if I still don't get it I would copy it down from the mark scheme and learn it.
But obviously, as you are not me this method might now work for you. Many people also find flash cards really useful. (I used flash cards only for Welsh, which was a few months before my main exam period so I experimented a little.)
For maths, you just need to keep doing questions and past papers, that is the best way.

(Sorry if I sound aggressive at the start, I just don't know how else to put it xD )

Good Luck :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

I know you said you were working hard but by the looks of things, it doesn't really seem that way. I'm not trying to be rude, but it'd be best for you to try another revison technique like doing past papers and re-writing/making notes I'm starting my first two GCSEs this year so I have no idea what the actual exams are like, but my brother managed to mostly achieve 8s and he only started 3 months before the exams. If you start now, you'll get into the habit of it and it's best to focus on education now than regret it when you're older. Good luck.
Original post by kurro
If you think you have been working hard, then it should reflect on your grades. You clearly said you have no notes, and barely did past papers so it's pretty obvious why you have bad grades. So what did you exactly do as 'hard work'?

I know I shouldn't be saying all this as I Ieft revision until 4 weeks before, but I was stupid and thought GCSE's were pointless (still managed to get all A's tho hehe)
It is only February, and have you finished all the topics though?
Anyway, what you want to do is experiment with different kinds of revision methods and see which is the best for you.

But I suggest you read through all the textbooks for subjects like sciences, R.E or geography, try to learn a majority of the info day by day. You also don't need to do a lot of hours yet. Then apply what you have learned in past papers. Keep grinding and soon you will learn how the exam board wants you to answer questions.
I only used past papers and nothing else to revise. No notes, nothing. Mainly because I had no time :frown:
All I did was try past papers then if I got a question wrong I would check my school book or revision book from the exam board (if you don't have any, you can try your local library as I couldn't be bothered to buy them lol) to help me answer, or if I still don't get it I would copy it down from the mark scheme and learn it.
But obviously, as you are not me this method might now work for you. Many people also find flash cards really useful. (I used flash cards only for Welsh, which was a few months before my main exam period so I experimented a little.)
For maths, you just need to keep doing questions and past papers, that is the best way.

(Sorry if I sound aggressive at the start, I just don't know how else to put it xD )

Good Luck :smile:

So, if i put more effort e.g. 6 hours a day and they are effective I'll pass?, how do i get rid of my negative mindset/ stress
So, if i put more effort e.g. 6 hours a day and they are effective I'll pass?, how do i get rid of my negative mindset/ stress

Exactly, but start off with maybe 30mins or 1 hour, then in crease weakly. I would only suggest doing a max of 4 hours and this is in the holidays. Do more if you absolutely must.

But to get rid of the negative mind set, I would suggest to not overwork yourself. You still need to do fun things everyday. Such as time with family, going out with friends, basketball, etc.
(For me it was the gym, me and my friends would go almost everyday and mess around, this helped me get my mind off everything and concentrating lifting that god damn weight haha)

You need to remember gcse's are not everything. If You don't pass them that doesn't make you any less than someone that got all A*'s.

Quick Reply

Latest