The Student Room Group

Maths A-Level Revision Paper Help?

This is how I plan to do papers after revising the rest of the spec at home:

I have around 3.5 chapters of Pure and 2 for Mechanics + revision of everything else + Large Data Set.

Mixed exercise- > Review exercise- > C3/C4 Past Papers (Edexcel) -> Solomon papers (C1-4 & M1/2) - > Delphis papers (C1-4 & M1/2) - > Edexcel Practice Paper Booklet - > 2018 As & A2 Maths Papers -> MadAsMaths Papers

Is this suitable revision method for roughly 130 days? If not how should the order change? Thanks :smile:
help?
???
Reply 3
Seems pretty good but maybe you should put in the IAL papers C12 and C34 ones in aswell as they are longer so more like the actual paper you will sit. I dont really know about the delphis papers but you have got a load already listed so if you are running out of time I wouldn't worry about not really doing these. The C2 papers for the old spec arent bad or anything so I'd do a few of those aswell, if you cba to do them all you could just do the gold papers which i think just group up the harder questions from different years.

also Madasmaths papers I would do before the actual new papers as they are sometimes a bit weird, i rememer the stats and mechanics ones especiallly like they are rly good practise but not exactly what you should expect for the real things.

There are quite a few of the madasmaths papers and also crash maths make their own aswell so there is quite a lot of material specific for new spec so dont think you will run out of them extremely quickly. Edexel also made a load of practise papers for the new a level which your teachers will give to you later on

Also i remember M2 papers not being amazing they had a load of stuff we hadnt covered, maybe i just looked at it too early and didn't look at them again after learning everything but i didnt do any. I did go through questions by topic of P&MT on the M2 stuff i think to look at some harder questions but that was it rly, i found the textbook and everything else gave enough practise for the mechanics but obviously do what you want. If you have anymore questions I am happy to answer.
Original post by number0
Seems pretty good but maybe you should put in the IAL papers C12 and C34 ones in aswell as they are longer so more like the actual paper you will sit. I dont really know about the delphis papers but you have got a load already listed so if you are running out of time I wouldn't worry about not really doing these. The C2 papers for the old spec arent bad or anything so I'd do a few of those aswell, if you cba to do them all you could just do the gold papers which i think just group up the harder questions from different years.

also Madasmaths papers I would do before the actual new papers as they are sometimes a bit weird, i rememer the stats and mechanics ones especiallly like they are rly good practise but not exactly what you should expect for the real things.

There are quite a few of the madasmaths papers and also crash maths make their own aswell so there is quite a lot of material specific for new spec so dont think you will run out of them extremely quickly. Edexel also made a load of practise papers for the new a level which your teachers will give to you later on

Also i remember M2 papers not being amazing they had a load of stuff we hadnt covered, maybe i just looked at it too early and didn't look at them again after learning everything but i didnt do any. I did go through questions by topic of P&MT on the M2 stuff i think to look at some harder questions but that was it rly, i found the textbook and everything else gave enough practise for the mechanics but obviously do what you want. If you have anymore questions I am happy to answer.

thanks man after considering what you have said I'll create a updated list and show it in a bit. gotta sleep now lol
bump
Original post by number0

What about now?

I want to keep balencing revision between pure and applied so I grow in all of them at once.

Mixed exercise- > Review exercise- > C3/C4 Past Papers (Edexcel) -> Solomon papers (C1-4 & M1/2) - > IAL Papers(C1-4 & M1/2) -> Edexcel Practice Paper Booklet - > MadAsMaths Papers -> 2018 As & A2 Maths Papers
bump as well
Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner
What about now?

I want to keep balencing revision between pure and applied so I grow in all of them at once.

Mixed exercise- > Review exercise- > C3/C4 Past Papers (Edexcel) -> Solomon papers (C1-4 & M1/2) - > IAL Papers(C1-4 & M1/2) -> Edexcel Practice Paper Booklet - > MadAsMaths Papers -> 2018 As & A2 Maths Papers

You've made a great plan, and it's perfectly possible to complete it all, unless you spend an absurb amount of time learning the content. :smile:
Original post by Infinite Series
You've made a great plan, and it's perfectly possible to complete it all, unless you spend an absurb amount of time learning the content. :smile:

As stated above: I have around 3.5 chapters of Pure and 2 for Mechanics + revision of everything else + Large Data Set. I wanna get through this ideally by end of half term
What about now?

Looks good, in my opinion tho it doesn't have to be so like formulaic you can mix it up a little but if you like it more this way then for sure do it. when you do the main bulk of the old spec past papers, cause this will take a while if you do it all in the order you set, just remember to look over some of the topics that are new to the A level, newton raphson springs to mind even tho they arent rly difficult, just to keep refreshed.

It is harder to do revision for the applied especially the stats compared to the pure, with the old spec past papers not being amazing in comparsion to C3,4 etc but then again it is much less marks compared to the pure anyway. I remember in the exam last year you had to have more detailed knowledge of the large data set then i expected, you dont need to know it inside out but just do be familiar with all the different types of data that pops up in it.
Original post by number0
Looks good, in my opinion tho it doesn't have to be so like formulaic you can mix it up a little but if you like it more this way then for sure do it. when you do the main bulk of the old spec past papers, cause this will take a while if you do it all in the order you set, just remember to look over some of the topics that are new to the A level, newton raphson springs to mind even tho they arent rly difficult, just to keep refreshed.

It is harder to do revision for the applied especially the stats compared to the pure, with the old spec past papers not being amazing in comparsion to C3,4 etc but then again it is much less marks compared to the pure anyway. I remember in the exam last year you had to have more detailed knowledge of the large data set then i expected, you dont need to know it inside out but just do be familiar with all the different types of data that pops up in it.

Thx, i will adjust it again lol. Btw, I have the integral:

https://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?%5Cint%20%5Cfrac%7B2%7D%7Bx+1%7D%20-%20%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7Bx-2%7D

to integrate this, can I split it up into 2 seperate integrals? (Indefinite integral btw)
Thx, i will adjust it again lol. Btw, I have the integral:

https://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?%5Cint%20%5Cfrac%7B2%7D%7Bx+1%7D%20-%20%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7Bx-2%7D

to integrate this, can I split it up into 2 seperate integrals? (Indefinite integral btw)

Btw you don't have to like take on board everything i say, in the end of the day its ur revision so do what you feel is right, but hopefully what i say is slighty helpful. and yeh you can split it up into 2 seperate integrals but i dont rly know why you would, you can just integrate them both at the same time without splitting it into two different integrals.
Original post by number0
Btw you don't have to like take on board everything i say, in the end of the day its ur revision so do what you feel is right, but hopefully what i say is slighty helpful. and yeh you can split it up into 2 seperate integrals but i dont rly know why you would, you can just integrate them both at the same time without splitting it into two different integrals.

Well u have done the exam so I guess you are a Further maths student. Na cause i was doing the inspection method so i thought it was better to split it up cause of the factor thing. well anyway i got the right answer thx
Well u have done the exam so I guess you are a Further maths student. Na cause i was doing the inspection method so i thought it was better to split it up cause of the factor thing. well anyway i got the right answer thx

yeh took it last year as we do maths a level year 12, further maths year 13. I was annoyed to be first year doing the new spec but after doing the exams i think it was actually a blessing, the new spec is so much better. Good luck in ur revision!!
Original post by number0
yeh took it last year as we do maths a level year 12, further maths year 13. I was annoyed to be first year doing the new spec but after doing the exams i think it was actually a blessing, the new spec is so much better. Good luck in ur revision!!

Ithink modules would hav been better i dunno and gd luck to u. wht else do u take?
Ithink modules would hav been better i dunno and gd luck to u. wht else do u take?

Each to their own, but the grade boundaries got ridiculous with the modules, whilst for us last year it was something ridiculous like 75% for the A* so i dunno. And maths, further maths, chemsitry. I was taking physics but dropped it cause didn't rly enjoy it and didn't need it for uni.
Original post by number0
Each to their own, but the grade boundaries got ridiculous with the modules, whilst for us last year it was something ridiculous like 75% for the A* so i dunno. And maths, further maths, chemsitry. I was taking physics but dropped it cause didn't rly enjoy it and didn't need it for uni.

what you doing for uni?

Quick Reply

Latest