The Student Room Group

Summer schools!! John Locke vs King’s

Can anyone recommend me any summer schools for PPE applicants? I heard about John Locke Institute Summer School and King’s. Do you know how good they actually are??
Original post by Anyanoana
Can anyone recommend me any summer schools for PPE applicants? I heard about John Locke Institute Summer School and King’s. Do you know how good they actually are??

None of them are going to guarantee you get in or even interviewed, but they can give pratice on things like TSA. Personally I would recommend revising that yourself, and lots of reading on the subject.
Reply 2
I want to go to a summer school for the learning experience rather but I don’t know which one is the best. Can you help?
Hi, I went on JLI this summer. First off, it is hella expensive - £3k is a lot of money for anyone to spend on a fortnight. There's someone who's posted a big lambasting of the course somewhere else on the board and, to be fair to them, I do kind of get what they mean. Basically, John Locke Institute CAN be of great use. The effect it will have on your application does, though, probably depend on your age and stage of development. If you're a beginner looking for a good introduction to basics of PPE (and really you want to be at this stage at 16 or 17 at the latest), it can be a good starting point - it covers the material and can be a really good way to ignite an interest. The tutors they get in for Philosophy and Political Philosophy (at least, this year) were Oxford and Cambridge professors - really approachable and knowledgable people when it came to their respective fields.

I went on JLI to prep for my, ultimately unsuccessful, Oxford reapplication (for History rather than PPE) and it wasn't too helpful for history to be honest. I can see how a committed PPEist would find it more useful than I did in that regard. Then again, I'm now off to King's College London to do Political Economy, and I wouldn't have felt like I was in a position to do that and make the change without Political Philosophy I learned on JLI.

Don't be afraid to get in touch if you want to know more!
Hi, I am in the application stage for the John Locke Summer School, how should I prepare for the interview what happens at the interview?
Original post by Longshanks1239
Hi, I went on JLI this summer. First off, it is hella expensive - £3k is a lot of money for anyone to spend on a fortnight. There's someone who's posted a big lambasting of the course somewhere else on the board and, to be fair to them, I do kind of get what they mean. Basically, John Locke Institute CAN be of great use. The effect it will have on your application does, though, probably depend on your age and stage of development. If you're a beginner looking for a good introduction to basics of PPE (and really you want to be at this stage at 16 or 17 at the latest), it can be a good starting point - it covers the material and can be a really good way to ignite an interest. The tutors they get in for Philosophy and Political Philosophy (at least, this year) were Oxford and Cambridge professors - really approachable and knowledgable people when it came to their respective fields.

I went on JLI to prep for my, ultimately unsuccessful, Oxford reapplication (for History rather than PPE) and it wasn't too helpful for history to be honest. I can see how a committed PPEist would find it more useful than I did in that regard. Then again, I'm now off to King's College London to do Political Economy, and I wouldn't have felt like I was in a position to do that and make the change without Political Philosophy I learned on JLI.

Hi
Your feedback is really useful. I have got through the interview and have been offered a place. I am going to do the Humanities. I am planning to apply for Economics to Oxbridge later this year. As you say, it is quite expensive but wanted to know if it is really worth spending all that money. Its hard to do any work experience that links to economics. I have done some virtual ones in finance/ banking but want to do everything to increase my chances of getting to my dream University. Please let me know what you think. thanks
Original post by diptimishra
Hi
Your feedback is really useful. I have got through the interview and have been offered a place. I am going to do the Humanities. I am planning to apply for Economics to Oxbridge later this year. As you say, it is quite expensive but wanted to know if it is really worth spending all that money. Its hard to do any work experience that links to economics. I have done some virtual ones in finance/ banking but want to do everything to increase my chances of getting to my dream University. Please let me know what you think. thanks

hey, just wanted to know how your interview went (topics u discussed), I did the PPE one and I wanted to see if the interview was similar to that of the Humanities?
Original post by Longshanks1239

hey I'm applying to JLI this summer and was wondering what the social life is like?
Hi there, just wondering whether John Locke helped with your application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending