The Student Room Group

Applying for caring benefits

I am 17 turning 18 in 7 days and my mum still bathes me and takes care of me due ti russell silver syndrome. I am not independent and I don't go places on my own without someone. I struggle to be indeoendent. I am not at college due to illness affecting concentration and I am depressed because of that so my parents are thinking to apply for depression and carers allowance due to my disability and not being able to work or go to school. Will this affect my chances of getting accepted by a college if I was to go in the future?
Reply 1
The only time I was independent waa with studies and thats because my parents are from a working class Asian bangladeshi family and they have not been educated to the level of GCSE let alone A level.
Reply 2
Also what will happen? Will i have to go there so i can get an assessment?
Yeah you will be assessed and a decision will be made whether you qualify or not. I don’t know if it will affect your chances of getting into uni but you’ll have to state that you have a disability when applying.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah you will be assessed and a decision will be made whether you qualify or not. I don’t know if it will affect your chances of getting into uni but you’ll have to state that you have a disability when applying.

Will i have to state it even if it doesnt affect my studies?
Reply 5

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending