The Student Room Group

Is it right that concert tickets cost so much

Scroll to see replies

ok. i can see i'm the only one who thinks it's unjust that the rich get richer in this way.
case closed.
millionaires are making more millions out of our pocket money and we just go along with it. madness.
Original post by Anonymous
millionaires are making more millions out of our pocket money and we just go along with it. madness.

If you don't want to contribute, then don't buy a ticket and don't go to the concert. It's not difficult.
Yes I expected somene would say this, but it doesnt make it right imo and a lot of people are priced out.

At the end of the day, money talks.
A musician worth a billion pounds can charge 500 quid to be seen in concert, and make millions of pounds in this way. Is it right that ordinary people should pay this much while filling the pockets if someone who is already extremely wealthy? And how does the artist justify this to themselves?

people DO pay 500 quid though so they think it's worth the price

Also they have limited space so they know that they will fill up with 500 pounds so charging less than that is not as profitable.

In the end I think it's WAY too much but apparently others think it's worth it so..

people are weird

it's really simple to force them to reduce the price: no one goes but eh we always have the fans that care not about the price so that's not changing anytime soon.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by LeapingLucy
If you don't want to contribute, then don't buy a ticket and don't go to the concert. It's not difficult.

I would go but Im poor and I just wish theyd price the tickets reasonably.
Reply 26
I’ve never heard of a concert costing £500 at face value unless it’s a VIP package. Also don’t know of many musicians worth more than £1bn? Even Michael Jackson, one of the best acts in musics, charged £50-£75 at face value for one of the most demanded shows in history. He could’ve easily sold out 10 nights at £1000 per ticket, I think he could’ve justifed it though - poor finances, the effort he needed to get back in shape to perform, iconic music, iconic performances, amazing dancer and voice, music performed with actual instruments not playback, demand to see him, etc etc. But I don’t see how anyone else could justify, most music is awful today (surprisingly the good music is found at the cheaper shows), it’s all playback. But people are idiots today, they consume like dogs, quality means nothing just hype it to them and watch them act like fools.

You’re mostly talking about resell tickets, if so it’s a known problem. Musicians hate it, tour promoters hate it and venues hate it. The only people who like it are ticket administrators as they get money for selling the ticket then even more money from commission of reselling.

Drake tickets are a bit of a joke but why would you even want to see him live? It’s more of fashion statement than an appreciation of music, and fashion ain’t cheap. Drake can’t dance, there’s no actual live music it’s all on playback except the rapping, it’s hardly a show.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Bio 7
This isn’t a case of right or wrong. You are not forced to go and pay that much so who cares.

There are other issues in the world, the price forma concert ticket isn’t one of them.

Not according to parliament, it’s been debated a few times and there’s legislation being passed and made, ticket resales are a big issue at the moment and could be made illegal at extortionate prices.
Reply 28
ithink that concert tickets shouldn't be exspensive as its for enjoyment not for ripping money out of us
Original post by 3121
I’ve never heard of a concert costing £500 at face value unless it’s a VIP package. Also don’t know of many musicians worth more than £1bn? Even Michael Jackson, one of the best acts in musics, charged £50-£75 at face value for one of the most demanded shows in history. He could’ve easily sold out 10 nights at £1000 per ticket, I think he could’ve justifed it though - poor finances, the effort he needed to get back in shape to perform, iconic music, iconic performances, amazing dancer and voice, music performed with actual instruments not playback, demand to see him, etc etc. But I don’t see how anyone else could justify, most music is awful today (surprisingly the good music is found at the cheaper shows), it’s all playback. But people are idiots today, they consume like dogs, quality means nothing just hype it to them and watch them act like fools.

You’re mostly talking about resell tickets, if so it’s a known problem. Musicians hate it, tour promoters hate it and venues hate it. The only people who like it are ticket administrators as they get money for selling the ticket then even more money from commission of reselling.

Drake tickets are a bit of a joke but why would you even want to see him live? It’s more of fashion statement than an appreciation of music, and fashion ain’t cheap. Drake can’t dance, there’s no actual live music it’s all on playback except the rapping, it’s hardly a show.

Spoiler

:ninija:
Reply 30

Spoiler

:ninija:

Even at face value his tickets were Mostly under £100…
Original post by 3121
Even at face value his tickets were Mostly under £100…

Where did you get that from? I didnt see anything for less than 300.
Reply 32
Where did you get that from? I didnt see anything for less than 300.

Face value? Which site? I assume face value/primary sale tickets sold out in seconds though.

Also as for your point about him being a billionaire and wanting more money, you do know he does plenty of free shows?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 3121
Face value? Which site? I assume face value/primary sale tickets sold out in seconds though.

Also as for your point about him being a billionaire and wanting more money, you do know he does plenty of free shows?

I wasnt targeting him in particular, it was just an example.
Reply 34
Original post by KimNoel
ithink that concert tickets shouldn't be exspensive as its for enjoyment not for ripping money out of us

Everything is to rip money from us, entertainment is just a method for it.
Original post by Bio 7
Everything is to rip money from us, entertainment is just a method for it.

What a sad way to look at it.

Why do you have more of a right than anyone else to see <whichever artist> perform?
Original post by Drewski
Why do you have more of a right than anyone else to see <whichever artist> perform?

I never said I had more right than anyone else.
Reply 38

It's the truth.
I never said I had more right than anyone else.

But you feel like you're owed the right to buy a ticket at a price you can afford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending