The Student Room Group

Can I study a prestigious LLM without an LLB ? (and advice)

Good afternoon,

(Please note that the title does not sum up all the subtility of my question)

Having recently applied to several British universities for Undergraduate programs (UCL and LSE for Politics and International relations, Edinburgh for Int. relations and Int. Law and King's College for PPL) as a French student and having only been made an offer yet (from the university of Warwick), I wanted to know if you assume it would be possible for me to apply and enter an LLM in a prestigious university (British or American) after a BA and not an LLB.
In fact, I have only applied to one LLB, which is Politics, Philosophy and Law at King's, but it is so competitive that I am afraid I may be rejected...
Knowing that the degree I have been made an offer for at Warwick is also PPL, but is sadly not, contrary to King's, considered as an LLB.

Also, as I am not a British student (thus not very familiar with all of this), I would like to know if you recommend Warwick to me, as well as this new program, as I am still hesitating between pursuing studies in the UK or in France.
To be even clearer, I have ambitious career prospects and want to make sure that I am making the right decision, choosing the best way to get there, as of course doing a British uni as a French student is good, but it has to be a great one, because if it is actually just average it won't be as "door-opening", rewarding and gratifying as I want it to be, and in this case, I might continue (at least for few years) my studies in France.

I hope you will manage to understand what I mean. Thank you in advance for you help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Castle11
Good afternoon,

(Please note that the title does not sum up all the subtility of my question)

Having recently applied to several British universities for Undergraduate programs (UCL and LSE for Politics and International relations, Edinburgh for Int. relations and Int. Law and King's College for PPL) as a French student and having only been made an offer yet (from the university of Warwick), I wanted to know if you assume it would be possible for me to apply and enter an LLM in a prestigious university (British or American) after a BA and not an LLB.
In fact, I have only applied to one LLB, which is Politics, Philosophy and Law at King's, but it is so competitive that I am afraid I may be rejected...
Knowing that the degree I have been made an offer for at Warwick is also PPL, but is sadly not, contrary to King's, considered as an LLB.

Also, as I am not a British student (thus not very familiar with all of this), I would like to know if you recommend Warwick to me, as well as this new program, as I am still hesitating between pursuing studies in the UK or in France.
To be even clearer, I have ambitious career prospects and want to make sure that I am making the right decision, choosing the best way to get there, as of course doing a British uni as a French student is good, but it has to be a great one, because if it is actually just average it won't be as "door-opening", rewarding and gratifying as I want it to be, and in this case, I might continue (at least for few years) my studies in France.

I hope you will manage to understand what I mean. Thank you in advance for you help.

Aux States, tu peux faire un JD (Juris Doctor) ayant n'inmporte quel bachelor. Tu dois juste avoir un bon dossier et bien reussir au test LSAT. Un LLM aux States ca te sert a rien, si tu veux faire une carriere de juriste, et je pense pas que c'est faisable sans un bachelor (LLB ou notamment JD) en droit. T'auras besoin d'un JD. En Angleterre, chepa trop, mais certainement t'as besoin du LLB pour faire juriste. LLM sans LLB, chepa si c'est possible, mais c'est peu probable...
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
D’accord merci :smile:
It's not really a matter of the course being called LLB or BA (the Oxbridge ones are BAs, for example). It is about the law content on the course, normally being at least 50% law for LLM programmes. Ordinarily politics courses don't have enough law for LLM programmes, never mind the more prestigious ones.

I am not really sure why you're looking at LLMs before you've even begun your undergrad. If you're interested in politics, what need would you have to do a law postgrad?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
As in the United States a JD and not an LLM is required to become a lawyer, I suppose my question is more: can I be admitted for a JD into an American university after a BA from Warwick university ?
Reply 5
As in the United States a JD and not an LLM is required to become a lawyer, I suppose my question is more: can I be admitted for a JD into an American university after a BA from Warwick university ?

You can apply for a JD with a BA in any discipline.
Reply 6
(Original post by bm107)You can apply for a JD with a BA in any discipline.

I got it but what I mean is do I have a real chance to be admitted in a prestigious university (member of the Ivy League or close) knowing that I won’t come from the top 10 unis in the world ? And for my second question, if you would recommend me this uni.
Reply 7
(Original post by bm107)You can apply for a JD with a BA in any discipline.

I got it but what I mean is do I have a real chance to be admitted in a prestigious university (member of the Ivy League or close) knowing that I won’t come from the top 10 unis in the world ? And for my second question, if you would recommend me this uni.

Really don't know... Warwick is relatively well-ranked, but the downside is that it's in Coventry - don't know whether you know what kind of city is that...
Reply 8
Original post by bm107
Really don't know... Warwick is relatively well-ranked, but the downside is that it's in Coventry - don't know whether you know what kind of city is that...

Actually I have no idea, that’s why I was asking...
Thanks for your help anyway !
Reply 9

Well it's one of the ugliest cities in the UK I'm afraid... :/
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10

And that's the campus :colone: https://dtmw9u23bb9ya.cloudfront.net/uploads/image/file/3285/1072_aerial_shot_of_campus_uni_warwick20120906-2-1hlshev.jpg
Reply 11
Original post by bm107
Well it's one of the ugliest cities in the UK I'm afraid... :/

To be honest, I don’t really care whether the city in which my university is located is beautiful or not, what I wanted to know was if it could get me to a great American one... That being said I don’t think it is THAT ugly compared to other campus and knowing that it is surrounded by «nature ».
And where are you studying ?
Reply 12
To be honest, I don’t really care whether the city in which my university is located is beautiful or not, what I wanted to know was if it could get me to a great American one... That being said I don’t think it is THAT ugly compared to other campus and knowing that it is surrounded by «nature ».

In Geneva at the moment... I spent two years in the UK, though (London)
Reply 13
I see, at which university in London and Geneva ?

Original post by bm107
In Geneva at the moment... I spent two years in the UK, though (London)
Reply 14

And of course I understood your point, but it's really hard to tell if it can get you to an Ivy League uni in the US. Anyway, if you decide to go for Warwick give Lady Godiva my greetings!
Reply 15
Original post by bm107
And of course I understood your point, but it's really hard to tell if it can get you to an Ivy League uni in the US. Anyway, if you decide to go for Warwick give Lady Godiva my greetings!

I understand. By the way, who is this lady ? I don’t know her
Reply 16
I see, at which university in London and Geneva ?

Imperial and UNIGE
Reply 17
Reply 19
Original post by bm107
Imperial and UNIGE

That’s great ! Congratulations, what were you studying ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending