The Student Room Group

Identify the Anime February 2019

Welcome to yet another Identify the Anime thread! :biggrin:

For anybody who hasn't taken part in earlier ones, I've posted 50 anime screenshots, all you have to do tell me what series they're from. :yes: Screenshots are divided into five rounds of ten, this time sorted by genre! The first in each round is a currently airing series, while the rest are older shows ranging from the fairly popular to the highly obscure (using Anime-Planet view count as an estimate).

Virtually all screencaps feature major characters, to give people who may not have watched much/any of the series a chance. English or Japanese names for a series are both acceptable answers, and don't worry about being too specific - if you're not sure whether an image is from, say, 'Ai Yori Aoshi' or 'Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi', I'm not that harsh and will accept either.

Post your answers here, but in spoiler tags please, to avoid spoiling things for everyone else. I'll reply and tell you which ones you got correct. :smile:

Have fun~

TL;DR 50 screenshots, name the anime.

1 - 10: Horror

11 - 20: Sci-Fi

21 - 30: Fantasy

31 - 40: Romance

41 - 50: Sports

-----

Blank answer sheet, if needed:

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Spoiler

Spoiler

Phew!! That was tough!!
Original post by Pippin4242

Spoiler

Horror: 1, 2 (I'm sorry), 3, 4 and 7 are correct, and I'll allow 10. :wink: And correct original manga-ka for 8, but that's not enough for a point.
Sci-fi: 13 is correct; wrong franchise for 20, and 12 isn't Ajin.
Fantasy: All three attempted were correct. :smile:
Romance: 32, 35, 36 and 40 correct; 38 is not Aoi Hana.
Sport: All six attempted were correct~

20 altogether!
Original post by The_Pudding_Earl

Spoiler

Phew!! That was tough!!

Horror: 1 - 5, 7, and again I'm allowing 10. 6 isn't Cencoroll, and as ever I'm loving the joke answers. :biggrin:
Sci-fi: 13, 14, 16, 18 and 20 correct; #12 isn't Full Metal Panic.
Fantasy: 22, 26 and 27 are correct. #23 wasn't KyoAni. #24... yes, but no. :p: #25 isn't the zodiac themed show in this category. :wink:
Romance: 33 and 36 are correct. #34 is indeed not Skip Beat! Leon: The Professional made me laugh. :rofl:
Sport: 42 - 46 + 48 are correct. #47 is not Yuri!!! on Ice. :zomg:

22 correct answers puts you in the lead! :king1:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
The images won't load on my school computer, damnit :frown: I was gonna try this.

I guess I'll give it a go when I get home?
Original post by todorokishouto
The images won't load on my school computer, damnit :frown: I was gonna try this.

I guess I'll give it a go when I get home?

A lot of school and college filters block imgur, it's a recurring problem with competitions here in Entertainment. :grumble: Not much I can do about it unfortunately, far too many and too large images for TSR's own uploads to handle. :s:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Horror: 1 - 5, 7, and again I'm allowing 10. 6 isn't Cencoroll, and as ever I'm loving the joke answers. :biggrin:
Fantasy: 22, 26 and 27 are correct. #23 wasn't KyoAni. #24... yes, but no. :p: #25 isn't the zodiac themed show in this category. :wink:
Romance: 33 and 36 are correct. #34 is indeed not Skip Beat! Leon: The Professional made me laugh. :rofl:

I just remembered 24 ...

Spoiler

But I guess I can't have another shot at it now :hmmmm:
Damn, why you tryna make me remember all the way back to 2008/2009 like that

I just remembered 24 ...

Spoiler

Original post by The_Pudding_Earl
I just remembered 24 ...

Spoiler

Yes you can. That makes 23!

Doesn't feel that long ago, until you realize that it was one of the final series not to be animated in HD!
:bump: There are still 3-5 from each category which haven't been named yet! :blow:

Spoiler

That was tough but fun :smile: Good too see you AJ still keeping this place alive :five:
Original post by eugenius 8

Spoiler

That was tough but fun :smile: Good too see you AJ still keeping this place alive :five:

Long time no see! :zomg: I try my best; the anime threads don't get anywhere near as many replies anymore, but I still post them out of habit. :giggle:

All correct (or close enough for #38), apart from the two joke answers. :p: 15 altogether!
:bump:

Series yet to be correctly named: 6, 8, 9, 11, 17, 19, 21, 23, 28. 29, 30, 37, 39, 45, 47, 49, 50

I usually post some alternative screenshots after a few days, in case seeing more of the characters, animation style and setting help jog people's memories... but ideally I'd like the list cut down to 10-12 (or fewer!) first. :puppyeyes:
Reply 15
Randomly stumbled upon TSR once again this morning and I'm thrilled to see another one of these. Thanks for putting this together, AJ. :biggrin:

Here's my stab at it:

Spoiler

My mind is at a blank for those I've missed out. Generally, if nothing comes to me immediately, I don't know it, but it'll be frustrating if I have seen or know of them. :tongue:
Original post by Aiko
Randomly stumbled upon TSR once again this morning and I'm thrilled to see another one of these. Thanks for putting this together, AJ. :biggrin:

Here's my stab at it:

Spoiler

My mind is at a blank for those I've missed out. Generally, if nothing comes to me immediately, I don't know it, but it'll be frustrating if I have seen or know of them. :tongue:

Great to see you again! :biggrin: All correct (including your comments on #14 and #16). 47 out of 50. :zomg: Which leaves me with far fewer to grab alternate screenshots for. :giggle:
*moves off-topic chat to its own thread so that this is visible on the first page*

Here are some alternative screenshots for the three which haven't been named yet! For those who've already entered, perhaps these will jog some memories? And for anyone else who hasn't had a go yet, you're still free to try and identify all 50 in the OP (as long as you haven't looked through other people's answers, of course). :biggrin:

29 (Fantasy #9)

30 (Fantasy #10)

39 (Romance #9)

Reply 18
Great to see you again! :biggrin: All correct (including your comments on #14 and #16). 47 out of 50. :zomg: Which leaves me with far fewer to grab alternate screenshots for. :giggle:

Likewise, hope things are good on your end. :smile: Phew, seems like my memory is holding up still. :tongue:

Sadly, the extra screenshots haven't helped for the remaining three. I'm curious to find out what 30 is. I feel like I should know it and probably do. It definitely strikes me as an anime from the 80s.
:bump:

Original post by Aiko
Likewise, hope things are good on your end. :smile: Phew, seems like my memory is holding up still. :tongue:

Sadly, the extra screenshots haven't helped for the remaining three. I'm curious to find out what 30 is. I feel like I should know it and probably do. It definitely strikes me as an anime from the 80s.

Things are okay, thanks! A bit quiet on this site on the anime front though, as you may have gathered. :moon:

You're not wrong about the decade. :nah:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending