The Student Room Group

Proof of car insurance - keep in car?

I have been getting conflicting information about what to do with my proof of car insurance document. Some people told me I need to keep it in my car in case I have an accident and the police request to see it. Others say that I shouldn't keep it in the car in case it gets lost and to protect my identity.

I already have a separate card in my glove compartment with my insurer's contact details and my policy number, so I'm not sure if it's necessary to have my insurance documents in the car too?
I don't keep any documents in my car, all I have is my licence in my wallet. If someone were to steal your car and you had all your documents in the glovebox they'd have valuable information to commit further crimes.

If the police want to see licence and insurance, they'll give you 7 days to produce it at a police station. You could also just show them your policy on your phone and most would be happy with that.
Reply 2
There's no need really.

If you get pulled by the police, they'll be able to cross check against their databases so no need for physical proof.
If you're in an accident you take their personal details and car details.
Original post by Aaron702
I don't keep any documents in my car, all I have is my licence in my wallet. If someone were to steal your car and you had all your documents in the glovebox they'd have valuable information to commit further crimes.

If the police want to see licence and insurance, they'll give you 7 days to produce it at a police station. You could also just show them your policy on your phone and most would be happy with that.

True, I have a PDF of my insurance certficate in a passcode-protected file on my phone from when I bought my car, so I could use that at the time if they accept it.
Reply 4
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I have been getting conflicting information about what to do with my proof of car insurance document. Some people told me I need to keep it in my car in case I have an accident and the police request to see it. Others say that I shouldn't keep it in the car in case it gets lost and to protect my identity.

I already have a separate card in my glove compartment with my insurer's contact details and my policy number, so I'm not sure if it's necessary to have my insurance documents in the car too?

Keep it in there if you like, don't if you don't. There's no reason to, really.
No you don't need proof of insurance document in your car. The police can check the system anyway as long as you know who your insured with they will contact the company to verify that you have insurance. It isn't a good idea really to keep your insurance document in the car just in case anything happens to your car you will have lost the document and also someone is likely then to have some of your personal details.

You can keep the card with your insurance provider contact number on in the car
Original post by scorpion95
No you don't need proof of insurance document in your car. The police can check the system anyway as long as you know who your insured with they will contact the company to verify that you have insurance. It isn't a good idea really to keep your insurance document in the car just in case anything happens to your car you will have lost the document and also someone is likely then to have some of your personal details.

You can keep the card with your insurance provider contact number on in the car

I agree
Yeah what others have said, no reason to carry it in the car as police can check on the spot. If you're in an accident you're required to give YOUR personal and car details, not the insurance.details at that stage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending