The Student Room Group

Is it right that concert tickets cost so much

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Are you looking at prices on reseller sites such as Viagogo? In which case they are not face value & are ridiculously inflated. That money does not go to the artist, but to unscrupulous resellers that charge whatever price they can get. A lot or artists now won’t honour resold tickets unless they are resold at face value through approved reseller sites such as Twickets.
Original post by BBx2
Are you looking at prices on reseller sites such as Viagogo? In which case they are not face value & are ridiculously inflated. That money does not go to the artist, but to unscrupulous resellers that charge whatever price they can get. A lot or artists now won’t honour resold tickets unless they are resold at face value through approved reseller sites such as Twickets.

I think it was the official site.
I suspect in many cases it's not that much to do with the artists, more the strats of various mangement, venue, staffing, insurer, promoter, marketer...ect...ect, they will, for the most part, charge what the market will bear.

Prices in general have rocketed last decade or so, I suspect the monetisation of festivals played a large part as well, it's only a short step for a promoter to think 'well if folk will pay that for a festival, will they pay that for 1 or 2 acts? lets find out..'.
Reply 43
i wish that the tickets would just be one price for every artists
Original post by Drewski
But you feel like you're owed the right to buy a ticket at a price you can afford.

What gives an artist the right to charge extortionate prices, or people to resell tickets at an even higher price?
Original post by Anonymous
What gives an artist the right to charge extortionate prices, or people to resell tickets at an even higher price?

Because they have something that you want but do not need? Plenty other artists and prices out there.

They are not providing a public service.
Their music, their creative and performing talent, their time, their investment in putting on the show.
They can invite people to pay whatever they want and you choose to buy a ticket or not.
I wouldn't pay the ridiculous prices demanded by some artists, I mostly choose to see live music performed by local up and coming performers.
Reply 47
Original post by KimNoel
i wish that the tickets would just be one price for every artists

Never going to happen. We go to loads of gigs from tiny venues where tickets are only a few quid (sometime free if you get on the guest list or sign up on band websites as they sometimes giveaway a few), to around £100 for stadiums. I’ve never paid more than that (other than festivals). The cost of putting on the shows for the bands varies considerably from turning up with their own equipment in a van to full on massive stage production. If they can sell out a stadium why wouldn’t they charge more?
What I totally disapprove of is when gigs sell out in minutes & tickets are immediately on resale sites at hugely inflated rates. That’s the rip off, as it’s not fans selling out the gig it’s resellers falsely inflating the prices.

Because it belongs to them. They can charge whatever they want.

It doesn't belong to you, you have no inherent right to anything.
Original post by Drewski
Because it belongs to them. They can charge whatever they want.

It doesn't belong to you, you have no inherent right to anything.

The fact you don't get that speaks volumes.

what's your damage?
you seem unnecessarily spiteful about the whole thing. if you can't have a calm and reasonable debate then don't post here.
Original post by BBx2
Never going to happen. We go to loads of gigs from tiny venues where tickets are only a few quid (sometime free if you get on the guest list or sign up on band websites as they sometimes giveaway a few), to around £100 for stadiums. I’ve never paid more than that (other than festivals). The cost of putting on the shows for the bands varies considerably from turning up with their own equipment in a van to full on massive stage production. If they can sell out a stadium why wouldn’t they charge more?
What I totally disapprove of is when gigs sell out in minutes & tickets are immediately on resale sites at hugely inflated rates. That’s the rip off, as it’s not fans selling out the gig it’s resellers falsely inflating the prices.

agreed, I have little respect for artists who don't do something about this and allow fans to pay extortionate prices.
what's your damage?
you seem unnecessarily spiteful about the whole thing. if you can't have a calm and reasonable debate then don't post here.

I'm using perfectly ordinary language, as are the others on this thread. You're the one seeking out vitriol and abuse where there is none, you're the one posting anonymously for reasons passing understanding.

There's no debate to be had; you're saying X should be fact, everybody else is saying no. Then you're accusing people of not understanding.

That's not a debate. That's you trying to preach.

And failing.
A musician worth a billion pounds can charge 500 quid to be seen in concert, and make millions of pounds in this way. Is it right that ordinary people should pay this much while filling the pockets if someone who is already extremely wealthy? And how does the artist justify this to themselves?

Because people are willing to pay it. If nobody bought them at that price then they won't sell them at that price.
agreed, I have little respect for artists who don't do something about this and allow fans to pay extortionate prices.

They don't need respect when they're laughing all the way to the bank and having their accountants singing high praises...

You really think these artists care about their fans?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Blue_Cow
They don't need respect when they're laughing all the way to the bank and having their accountants singing high praises...

You really think these artists care about their fans?

um...yes?
it is the fans that make them. these artists care about approval.
um...yes?

Yeah, in the early stages of their career perhaps.

Fans at the end of the day are faceless. The artist does not know you and you don't really know the artist either.

It's all about the money pal.
um...yes?

And as soon as the fans stop buying tickets, the policy will change. Until then, what motivation do they have?

spiteful trash.

:rolleyes:

:troll:
Reply 57
i looked up shawn mendes ticket prices and it came up with this: Shawn Mendes ticket prices range from $49 to $9499. There are always great deals to be found at Vivid Seats. Currently, Shawn Mendes tickets 2018 start at $49.
It’s fine. If you do like, don’t pay.
Original post by Drewski
And as soon as the fans stop buying tickets, the policy will change. Until then, what motivation do they have?

:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending