The Student Room Group

Funding for a second degree in Mathematics

Hi,

I graduated with a BEng in Civil Engineering, where I received tuition fee and maintenance loans from the SFC for those three years.

I am now looking to pursue Mathematics, and was wondering if there would be any support for any of these paths I am considering:

Path 1:

1a) Would I be eligible for funding with a 1-Year Full-time Graduate Diploma in Mathematics, at Kings College London.

1b) If no, but nevertheless I somehow managed to save for a few years and fund this programme myself, would I be later eligible for funding to subsequently undertake an MSc in Mathematics?

1c) If yes to 1a, would I be later eligible for funding to subsequently undertake an MSc in Mathematics?

1d) If the Graduate Diploma is part-time, would this make any difference?

Path 2:

2a) Would I be eligible for funding to undertake an MSc in Engineering Mathematics?

Path 3:

3a) Would I be eligible for funding to undertake an undergraduate BSc Mathematics, on a part-time basis? E.g. At the Open University or Birkbeck.

3b) Would the same be true if it were an MSc?

I hope you understand my questions. I really appreciate any assistance. Thank you!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JakePreedy
Hi,

I graduated with a BEng in Civil Engineering, where I received tuition fee and maintenance loans from the SFC for those three years.

I am now looking to pursue Mathematics, and was wondering if there would be any support for any of these paths I am considering:

Path 1:

1a) Would I be eligible for funding with a 1-Year Full-time Graduate Diploma in Mathematics, at Kings College London.

1b) If no, but nevertheless I somehow managed to save for a few years and fund this programme myself, would I be later eligible for funding to subsequently undertake an MSc in Mathematics?

1c) If yes to 1a, would I be later eligible for funding to subsequently undertake an MSc in Mathematics?

1d) If the Graduate Diploma is part-time, would this make any difference?

Path 2:

2a) Would I be eligible for funding to undertake an MSc in Engineering Mathematics?

Path 3:

3a) Would I be eligible for funding to undertake an undergraduate BSc Mathematics, on a part-time basis? E.g. At the Open University or Birkbeck.

3b) Would the same be true if it were an MSc?

I hope you understand my questions. I really appreciate any assistance. Thank you!

Hi Jake,

As you already hold a qualification higher than the one you want to study you will not be eligible for the full time 1 year Graduate Diploma course.

As long as you do not hold a masters and you are studying an eligible course then you will be able to apply for the MSc course whether it be full time or part time.

You would be eligible to apply for the part time undergraduate BSc as long as your course is in Mathematical Sciences as this is an exception.

Thanks, Chanel
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Chanel
Hi Jake,

As you already hold a qualification higher than the one you want to study you will not be eligible for the full time 1 year Graduate Diploma course.

As long as you do not hold a masters and you are studying an eligible course then you will be able to apply for the MSc course whether it be full time or part time.

You would be eligible to apply for the part time undergraduate BSc as long as your course is in Mathematical Sciences as this is an exception.

Thanks, Chanel

Hi Chanel, thanks for getting back to me.

Would this be the same for a Postgraduate Diploma? (My understanding is that a Postgraduate Diploma > BEng, but please correct me if I am wrong)

Another question: when I was originally on my Civil Engineering course, I was doing an integrated masters but decided after the third year I would stop at the bachelors. If I went back to university to complete the fourth year of my integrated master's degree, would I be entitled to the maintenance loan + tuition fees as previously (as opposed to the £10,200 master's limit)?
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi Chanel, thanks for getting back to me.

Would this be the same for a Postgraduate Diploma? (My understanding is that a Postgraduate Diploma > BEng, but please correct me if I am wrong)

Another question: when I was originally on my Civil Engineering course, I was doing an integrated masters but decided after the third year I would stop at the bachelors. If I went back to university to complete the fourth year of my integrated master's degree, would I be entitled to the maintenance loan + tuition fees as previously (as opposed to the £10,200 master's limit)?

Hello Jake,

A BEng is a Bachelor of Engineering course so would fall under undergraduate funding.

As you have obtained a degree, you would not be eligible for funding if you decided to complete the integrated master’s proportion of your course.

Thanks, Lynsey.
Reply 4
Original post by Lynsey SFE
Hello Jake,

A BEng is a Bachelor of Engineering course so would fall under undergraduate funding.

As you have obtained a degree, you would not be eligible for funding if you decided to complete the integrated master’s proportion of your course.

Thanks, Lynsey.

Thanks Lynsey,

With regards to pursuing an MSc in Maths, Chanel points out that I would be eligible since I do not currently hold a masters. If during the MSc course I decided to opt out of doing the thesis (or unfortunately failed it) and therefore graduated with a PgDip or PgCert, would there be penalties/fines with respect to the SFC loan taken?
Thanks Lynsey,

With regards to pursuing an MSc in Maths, Chanel points out that I would be eligible since I do not currently hold a masters. If during the MSc course I decided to opt out of doing the thesis (or unfortunately failed it) and therefore graduated with a PgDip or PgCert, would there be penalties/fines with respect to the SFC loan taken?

Hello Jake,

As long as the university confirmed that you studied on an eligible course and didn’t change to a non-eligible course part of the way through, then your funding should be unaffected.

The fact that you gained an exit qualification would be fine as you gained that qualification by studying on an eligible master’s course.

If you did leave the course early however we may need to block any remaining payments depending on when you left.

Warm Regards, Dean.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending