The Student Room Group

Blood test tomorrow help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
I’m 16 years old and I’m having an emergency blood test tomorrow morning. I have never had a blood test in my life and I don’t really know what to expect, how should I mentally prepare myself for this? Also how long does the taking of blood typically take? Thanks

It feels exactly like a scratch with your nail,
Original post by halsx11
30 seconds..if that

Ah ok, that’s much better than I thought, thanks 😊
Ah ok, that’s much better than I thought, thanks 😊

Yeah you won’t realise! Good luck hon! Tell me how it went 👍
Original post by halsx11
Yeah you won’t realise! Good luck hon! Tell me how it went 👍

Thanks very much, I’m more worried about the result of the test as I’m being tested for quite a serious medical condition so I’m praying to god that the test is going to come back negative
Thanks very much, I’m more worried about the result of the test as I’m being tested for quite a serious medical condition so I’m praying to god that the test is going to come back negative

Oh hope ur okay! And Dw everything will go well!
Original post by halsx11
Oh hope ur okay! And Dw everything will go well!

Thanks, I’m hoping it will be ok but my doctor said based on my symptoms it’s probably not going to be good news...
I’m 16 years old and I’m having an emergency blood test tomorrow morning. I have never had a blood test in my life and I don’t really know what to expect, how should I mentally prepare myself for this? Also how long does the taking of blood typically take? Thanks

Hi. I hope all goes well wihh the blood test and surrounding things.
They can be pretty scary especially if it's your first, but honestly it's not too bad. It's mostly the anxiety that gets to people.
Do whatever you normally would before unless told otherwise (so don't fast, don't chug water etc). Take a little snack and some water with you so you can have some after if you're feeling a bit iffy. Only thing is it's probably best not to have a huge meal before or have anything that might make you feel a bit sick. It's not a big deal really, but it would just mean you're more likely to feel unwell.
Go in, say its your first and your a bit nervous so the nurse can be extra nice to you. You will sit in a chair or lay on one of those benches, they'll put a strap on your arm, poke a needle in then use vials to collect the blood. You can barely feel anything other than that first poke. All in all it should be a couple of minuets. Only a few seconds for the actual blood drawing part.

I would suggest you look away and read a poster, count marks on the wall or have a chat with the nurse/ somebody you've brought with you. You might like to take something to squeeze just for some comfort.

Some people do react badly to blood tests, but at the end of the day if you're one of those people you're one of those people. There's not much that's going to change the outcome. If you do feel unwell tell the nurse. If you do throw up or faint you'll get over it quickly so don't worry. Chances are you'll just go "oww" and that's it.
Even if it's a totally awful experience with the nastiest nurse in the world it will only be for a short time.

I hope the test goes well and doesn't come up with bad news. If you do want to vent or anything now or later you can post back here or call a support service like the mix or one specific to that condition. Sorry to hear you're obviously not feeling well.
Original post by Kindred
Hi. I hope all goes well wihh the blood test and surrounding things.
They can be pretty scary especially if it's your first, but honestly it's not too bad. It's mostly the anxiety that gets to people.
Do whatever you normally would before unless told otherwise (so don't fast, don't chug water etc). Take a little snack and some water with you so you can have some after if you're feeling a bit iffy. Only thing is it's probably best not to have a huge meal before or have anything that might make you feel a bit sick. It's not a big deal really, but it would just mean you're more likely to feel unwell.
Go in, say its your first and your a bit nervous so the nurse can be extra nice to you. You will sit in a chair or lay on one of those benches, they'll put a strap on your arm, poke a needle in then use vials to collect the blood. You can barely feel anything other than that first poke. All in all it should be a couple of minuets. Only a few seconds for the actual blood drawing part.

I would suggest you look away and read a poster, count marks on the wall or have a chat with the nurse/ somebody you've brought with you. You might like to take something to squeeze just for some comfort.

Some people do react badly to blood tests, but at the end of the day if you're one of those people you're one of those people. There's not much that's going to change the outcome. If you do feel unwell tell the nurse. If you do throw up or faint you'll get over it quickly so don't worry. Chances are you'll just go "oww" and that's it.
Even if it's a totally awful experience with the nastiest nurse in the world it will only be for a short time.

I hope the test goes well and doesn't come up with bad news. If you do want to vent or anything now or later you can post back here or call a support service like the mix or one specific to that condition. Sorry to hear you're obviously not feeling well.

Thanks very much, I get my result back on Thursday so I’ll let you know how it went 😊
Thanks, I’m hoping it will be ok but my doctor said based on my symptoms it’s probably not going to be good news...

Just don’t think about it x
Reply 29
No worries, do not look at the needle, just relax, it is not painful at all
Hey guys thank you so much for the supportive kind messages. Unfortunately my blood test didn’t go very well, 2 hours afterwards I fainted in the middle of a lesson (it was very embarrassing) and I got sent home. My teachers think I should stay off school until I have the results of the test. What do you think?
Hey guys thank you so much for the supportive kind messages. Unfortunately my blood test didn’t go very well, 2 hours afterwards I fainted in the middle of a lesson (it was very embarrassing) and I got sent home. My teachers think I should stay off school until I have the results of the test. What do you think?

Oh hope you feel better! You fainted cuz u were thinking too much about ur results just don’t think about ur results for now just chill! I think you should do what’s best for you! R u in ur last year?
Original post by halsx11
Oh hope you feel better! You fainted cuz u were thinking too much about ur results just don’t think about ur results for now just chill! I think you should do what’s best for you! R u in ur last year?

I’m year 12, I think I fainted because I didn’t eat anything afterwards. Normally they offer you a biscuit or something but they didn’t for me
I’m year 12, I think I fainted because I didn’t eat anything afterwards. Normally they offer you a biscuit or something but they didn’t for me

That’s just sad really, you should’ve gone home and ate before you went to school oh well! It’s up to you really but I wouldn’t think about my results and distract myself with school if Ugm! Cuz if you at home your going to keep on thinking about it whereas if your in Skwl you have friends and you learning at the same time! It’s upto you really I would go to skwl as a distraction to forget about it!
DON'T LOOK the needle. In my first blood test i looked the needle and after, i fainted.
EDIT: So sorry, but don't worry. Most people do! (Like me haha)
(edited 5 years ago)

They give you a biscuit if you give blood. They don't do it for a simple blood test.

Sorry to hear it didn't go great. If you have blood tests in the future try to make sure you eat and drink something after (even if it means talking to your teachers and being allowed to eat a snack in class or be late to a lesson).

If you should be off school or not really depends on how you're feeling and how long the results will take. It sounds like you're feeling pretty unwell and the results will be relatively quick to come in so perhaps taking some time off school, doing half days or spending your school day in a quiet room where you can chill out a bit as you work would be a good idea.
Basically if you feel like school is a bit of a struggle right now then think about it, but if school is totally fine or you feel like you'd go a little bit crazy spending all day at home then maybe don't.

Have a chat wihh your parents and school about it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest