The Student Room Group

Fake friends at university

Okay, this is just me ranting here. But here goes.
Why is it that the people who thought are your friends, just reject you whenever you try and make an effort? I tried to make plans for my bday. It’s a big one, imma be a grown as woman and turn 21 Years old. I never get to celebrate my birthday but because I thought I had friends I could trust, at uni, that it’d be a lovely thing to do. Tell me why half of the people I invite give me the lamest and fakest of excuses??
One of them said they’ve got someone coming over. Bruh. This girl literally has people coming over every single time.
These are supposed to be good Christian girls.
Mate, I see through the lies.
If it’s about money, I get it. I was literally going to pay for them...to celebrate MY birthday with me.
I just feel kind of hurt and upset by it. Honestly if you don’t wanna be mates, then let me know cause I’m not gonna pretend with you hoes.
This is literally why I have two friends at uni (two girls I invited that were willing to join the gathering).
And two other friends from when I was in high school. I’m introvert and don’t go out much and they should’ve seen how much this meant to me to put myself out there and plan this event. I even made a WhatsApp group!!
I feel so embarrassed that I even thought I should make plans and have them broken by a measley reply of ‘can’t come, sorry busy’.
I know where I stand now though.
Please someone gimme some redemption of how I can get over this situation...and myself lol.
Reply 1
Just know that you won’t most likely see these people after you done a. Degree so don’t give a **** what they think- you can’t let other people drive your emotions. However I feel for you though but don’t worry because there obviously fake friends and you need to stay away from them.
Reply 2
Original post by Juggy12
Just know that you won’t most likely see these people after you done a. Degree so don’t give a **** what they think- you can’t let other people drive your emotions. However I feel for you though but don’t worry because there obviously fake friends and you need to stay away from them.

Thank you so much for your reply. I just needed someone to sympathise with my situation, honestly. If you don’t vibe with me then I wont vibe with you, simple. Thanks for the support, homie xxxxxxxx
Reply 3
No problem, but don’t feel emotionally hurt because of these friends it’s not worth it
Reply 4
You seem like a nice person who doesn’t deserve this **** so don’t let it get to you
Reply 5
Original post by Juggy12
You seem like a nice person who doesn’t deserve this **** so don’t let it get to you

You’re the real MVP xxxx
Reply 6
What is MVP 😂
Reply 7
sometimes you end up with some wishy-washy half arsed "friends", I suggest you try find some new ones if you can.
Original post by lactosefree
Why is it that the people who thought are your friends, just reject you whenever you try and make an effort? I tried to make plans for my bday. It’s a big one, imma be a grown as woman and turn 21 Years old. I never get to celebrate my birthday but because I thought I had friends I could trust, at uni, that it’d be a lovely thing to do. Tell me why half of the people I invite give me the lamest and fakest of excuses??
One of them said they’ve got someone coming over. Bruh. This girl literally has people coming over every single time.
If it’s about money, I get it. I was literally going to pay for them...to celebrate MY birthday with me.
I just feel kind of hurt and upset by it. Honestly if you don’t wanna be mates, then let me know cause I’m not gonna pretend with you hoes.
This is literally why I have two friends at uni (two girls I invited that were willing to join the gathering).
And two other friends from when I was in high school. I’m introvert and don’t go out much and they should’ve seen how much this meant to me to put myself out there and plan this event. I even made a WhatsApp group!!
I feel so embarrassed that I even thought I should make plans and have them broken by a measley reply of ‘can’t come, sorry busy’.
Please someone gimme some redemption of how I can get over this situation...and myself lol.

I myself is an introvert and been through that situation quite a few times the same thing happened with me on my birthday I tried every friend I knew and they all put my hopes down and I know how much that hurts and there is no easy way of getting over it.
You will just have to realise that they are not the friends who you think they are, just be around the people who actually care about you like your family and enjoy your birthday btw "HAPPY BIRTHDAY". Forget about those so-called friends it's not the time to think about them its time to have fun.
There are plenty of decent, genuine people in the world.
Don't waste your time or money on the bad apples who don't deserve any attention.
It is better to be happy and alone, than unhappy surrounded by unpleasant people who only let you down/treat you badly unless it suits them to play another game.
Original post by Juggy12
What is MVP 😂

Sarcastically "You handled it pretty well"
I mean really you don't know what a MVP is.
Original post by londonmyst
Don't waste your time or money on the bad apples who don't deserve any attention.
It is better to be happy and alone, than unhappy surrounded by unpleasant people who only let you down/treat you badly unless it suits them to play another game.

I can't agree less.
Reply 12
Man don’t associate with abbreviations anymore
Try not to take it personally. People are fickle and a lot of people have personal issues or they’re not good at socializing. I’ve made excuses a lot because I’m shy. I know it can be hurtful, but it gives you an opportunity to focus on finding real friends.
Original post by lactosefree

I’m so sorry that your friends have treated you like this. You really don’t deserve it from what I’ve just read. I myself in the past (I’m currently at sixth form, but it still kinda applies) have always found myself, especially with my old friend group in year 11 ALWAYS being the one to make plans. Nobody could ever be arsed. If we went out, that was because I had been pushing it for weeks. It was horrible, but finally I’ve got some friends that I go out with from time to time so it isn’t as bad. Before I got new friends, I literally never used to go out and it was so draining because they’d make excuses,
much like your friends. Please ditch them, or at least, distance yourself a bit from these fake people. They are a negative drain on your life, you don’t need that, especially when in higher education. Besides, if they are always making excuses and acting in this way, I doubt they’re going to be pining after you when you make new friends, so it’s kinda good in a sense. Don’t be ashamed to get rid of negative people in your life. Just my opinion. x
Original post by Juggy12
What is MVP 😂

most valuable player, basically means I think you’re the best 💜
Original post by Mystic Fang
I myself is an introvert and been through that situation quite a few times the same thing happened with me on my birthday I tried every friend I knew and they all put my hopes down and I know how much that hurts and there is no easy way of getting over it.
You will just have to realise that they are not the friends who you think they are, just be around the people who actually care about you like your family and enjoy your birthday btw "HAPPY BIRTHDAY". Forget about those so-called friends it's not the time to think about them its time to have fun.

Fellow introvert, thank you. Honestly, just hearing that you’ve been through the same thing, I am happy we can relate with each other xx
Original post by londonmyst

Oh my God, this!! Being happy and alone, those are the times I THRIVE and I’m at my best. I’d rather have a small number of people in my life that actually love and care about me, than tons who are fake xx
When is your bday? Today? Same here, though I forgot about it until I was reminded by my mum. Was about to ask for a hock-up, but meh.

Yeah, your friends might be fake or you might be thinking about that a bit too much; have you ever considered asking your friends. Note that I have just read your initial post and have not read any of the replies because I cannot be asked.
Original post by cleardays
I’m so sorry that your friends have treated you like this. You really don’t deserve it from what I’ve just read. I myself in the past (I’m currently at sixth form, but it still kinda applies) have always found myself, especially with my old friend group in year 11 ALWAYS being the one to make plans. Nobody could ever be arsed. If we went out, that was because I had been pushing it for weeks. It was horrible, but finally I’ve got some friends that I go out with from time to time so it isn’t as bad. Before I got new friends, I literally never used to go out and it was so draining because they’d make excuses,
much like your friends. Please ditch them, or at least, distance yourself a bit from these fake people. They are a negative drain on your life, you don’t need that, especially when in higher education. Besides, if they are always making excuses and acting in this way, I doubt they’re going to be pining after you when you make new friends, so it’s kinda good in a sense. Don’t be ashamed to get rid of negative people in your life. Just my opinion. x

Thank you for your sweet reply 💜
I’m glad we can relate and that you’ve been able to move past your previous experience, i am going to do the same. Not so much ‘ditch’ them, but distance myself from them. They aren’t worth my time xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending