The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Accomodation at Warwick

Looking to start Warwick in September/October however, wanted advice on accommodation. I'll be on a budget (no more than (£130 a week) and am not a big party animal. I don't mind sharing bathrooms or being far away from anywhere. Any suggestions appreciated and anything I should really stay away from???
Original post by ATBowers
Looking to start Warwick in September/October however, wanted advice on accommodation. I'll be on a budget (no more than (£130 a week) and am not a big party animal. I don't mind sharing bathrooms or being far away from anywhere. Any suggestions appreciated and anything I should really stay away from???

https://warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/undergraduate/ugresidences

Plenty of accommodation here that suits your budget.

Hopefully someone can give some insight into the specifics.

Moved to University of Warwick
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Depending on whether you'd prefer corridor or house style living, there are definitely some great options for under £130. I'm currently in Rootes and despite its (well-deserved, admittedly) reputation as the party hall and my lack of interest in partying, it's still a decent place (especially if you're in Old Rootes - it was just refurbished) and I wouldn't want to move.

Tocil is also lovely and if I had to move somewhere else I'd choose there. It's close to central campus although a little more expensive. It's also reasonably close to Tesco's - it's on that side of campus, at least. The flats I've visited there are quite social and do party/drink together reasonably often, but like anywhere I think there are loud and quiet flats, and it never seems too loud. Tocil also have massive desks. I'm incredibly jealous of Tocil's desks.

Redfern and Tocil both feel like they have darker rooms than Rootes, probably because they're carpeted, although that might also be because of the positioning in the building of the ones I've been in!
Redfern's also a bit of a trek from central campus at the moment because of the building work, not sure when that'll be finished or how noisy it is. It seemed very antisocial when I visited so could be good if you want somewhere quiet!

As a lot of people say in these threads, Westwood is quite a walk away - personally, I only go there for the post room, but if you're in the top part of central campus or want to be convenient for Cannon Park (Tesco's, Aldi, etc) it's great. There's also a half hourly or so free shuttle that goes around campus including up to Westwood for a large portion of the day/early evening, so that's an option.

I've never actually been in Whitefields but I've walked past plenty and I always thought it was quite cute. From what I've heard, it's actually much nicer than its reputation suggests. It also usually seems quiet when I walk past in the day or the evening/night. It's very convenient for the Oculus!

I'm afraid I know very little about Claycroft and Cryfield but they're probably nice? Honestly I think if you're not a big party animal maybe try to stay away from Rootes (much though I love my room) but ultimately Accommodation will also use the little questionnaire when you apply to try to match you with similar people. I got my fourth choice place and ended up loving my flat even though it's not where I would have wanted to go! Apply before the deadline and don't set your heart on any one place in particular - your flatmates can become your close friends but it's more likely you'll bond better with people on your course and in your societies, so it's not the end of the world where you end up living!
Reply 3
Original post by ATBowers

With £130 a week you'll be look at the non-ensuite bathrooms, but you don't really notice/need an ensuite so thats fine.

If you're not a big party animal, my instinct would to say avoid Rootes (where I currently am, I love it though), although the reality is quite of the flats aren't as wild as people say. It's more social than wild. I'd try to avoid Cryfield as it looks very much like a prison and the rooms are quite small, the same with Whitefields. Westwood has a large room and is incredibly far away (you say you don't mind, but when you're having to get up at 8 for a 9am after Pop and your Rootes friend rolls out of bed at 8 50, you will) so I'd avoid to.

Tocil and Claycroft are quite well located (near central campus and Tesco!) with fairly big rooms, so I'd recommend putting Tocil as your first choice maybe? Although quite a lot of the time you wont get your first choice anyways
Original post by jolybean
Depending on whether you'd prefer corridor or house style living, there are definitely some great options for under £130. I'm currently in Rootes and despite its (well-deserved, admittedly) reputation as the party hall and my lack of interest in partying, it's still a decent place (especially if you're in Old Rootes - it was just refurbished) and I wouldn't want to move.

Tocil is also lovely and if I had to move somewhere else I'd choose there. It's close to central campus although a little more expensive. It's also reasonably close to Tesco's - it's on that side of campus, at least. The flats I've visited there are quite social and do party/drink together reasonably often, but like anywhere I think there are loud and quiet flats, and it never seems too loud. Tocil also have massive desks. I'm incredibly jealous of Tocil's desks.

Redfern and Tocil both feel like they have darker rooms than Rootes, probably because they're carpeted, although that might also be because of the positioning in the building of the ones I've been in!
Redfern's also a bit of a trek from central campus at the moment because of the building work, not sure when that'll be finished or how noisy it is. It seemed very antisocial when I visited so could be good if you want somewhere quiet!

As a lot of people say in these threads, Westwood is quite a walk away - personally, I only go there for the post room, but if you're in the top part of central campus or want to be convenient for Cannon Park (Tesco's, Aldi, etc) it's great. There's also a half hourly or so free shuttle that goes around campus including up to Westwood for a large portion of the day/early evening, so that's an option.

I've never actually been in Whitefields but I've walked past plenty and I always thought it was quite cute. From what I've heard, it's actually much nicer than its reputation suggests. It also usually seems quiet when I walk past in the day or the evening/night. It's very convenient for the Oculus!

I'm afraid I know very little about Claycroft and Cryfield but they're probably nice? Honestly I think if you're not a big party animal maybe try to stay away from Rootes (much though I love my room) but ultimately Accommodation will also use the little questionnaire when you apply to try to match you with similar people. I got my fourth choice place and ended up loving my flat even though it's not where I would have wanted to go! Apply before the deadline and don't set your heart on any one place in particular - your flatmates can become your close friends but it's more likely you'll bond better with people on your course and in your societies, so it's not the end of the world where you end up living!

Sherborne is also pretty good. It’s a good mix of sociable and friendly people. Some parties but none on the level of rootes. I think it’s the most balanced of the accommodation. A good mix of everything.
Reply 5
Original post by Professional G
Sherborne is also pretty good. It’s a good mix of sociable and friendly people. Some parties but none on the level of rootes. I think it’s the most balanced of the accommodation. A good mix of everything.

This is probably very true! The only reason I didn't include it is that it's priced above OP's budget, as far as I'm aware. Otherwise I 100% back this, Sherbourne looks lovely and I've only heard good things about it, although I've also not heard a lot of opinions about it.
Original post by jolybean
This is probably very true! The only reason I didn't include it is that it's priced above OP's budget, as far as I'm aware. Otherwise I 100% back this, Sherbourne looks lovely and I've only heard good things about it, although I've also not heard a lot of opinions about it.

It wasn’t any of my choices but so far, it’s my favourite accommodation. My only gripe is how long it takes to walk to Gibbet hill (I’m doing boomed) but other than that, it’s pretty good and very underrated. I wish I applied instead of rootes
Reply 7
Thank you for everyones help- much appreciated!

Quick Reply