The Student Room Group

English Language A Level Paper 3 - Investigating Language

Is anyone else studying for Paper 3 English Language, the investigation that we got given pre release materials?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
I am. I have been trying to find a past paper to use but apparently you need an edexcel account to download them. I have practically no idea what we are supposed to be doing. Any ideas on where to find past papers? Maybe we could help each other?
hey! I have found past papers for the paper 3, but I find it so hard because obvs what we are doing is so different to what’s been done like I know it’s examples at least but still finding it so hard... what topic from the pre release material are you studying?
Reply 3
Original post by hannahlouise444
hey! I have found past papers for the paper 3, but I find it so hard because obvs what we are doing is so different to what’s been done like I know it’s examples at least but still finding it so hard... what topic from the pre release material are you studying?

I know right? I just wanted an idea of what sort of questions would be asked but you can't get a full idea as it changes every year. We are being taught things for gender identity and dialect but for my investigation, I'm hoping to do gender identity and superhero comics. What about you?
Yeah!!!! And I started off with doing that one but struggling so much like I’ve never read a comic before so is so hard for me... I changed to the behaviour management one :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah!!!! And I started off with doing that one but struggling so much like I’ve never read a comic before so is so hard for me... I changed to the behaviour management one :smile:

Neither have I but I find it really interesting and there's a site a friend of mine found i think that you can read them on. Have you started tour investigation then? We're still being taught about georgie dialect which is so boring by the way in my opinion and gender identity. Apparently we get to actually do the investigation after half term. We just had an assessment on dialect and have another on fender tomorrow. We got a sheet on how to anser the questions. I could show you if you'd like?
Yeah we started it as soon as the pre release materials came out the first week of January! But I’m hating the superhero stuff so changed :smile:) yes please I would like to see it!!
Reply 7
Yeah we started it as soon as the pre release materials came out the first week of January! But I’m hating the superhero stuff so changed :smile:) yes please I would like to see it!!

You're so lucky! I wish we could start it already. Instead we have to research Geordie dialect and I hate it. We've been doing it since the materials came out and I've had to do an essay on it even though I'm never going to use it again. I'll send you pictures of the sheet we got in a bit. Can't send it right now.
Original post by KitCat37
Neither have I but I find it really interesting and there's a site a friend of mine found i think that you can read them on. Have you started tour investigation then? We're still being taught about georgie dialect which is so boring by the way in my opinion and gender identity. Apparently we get to actually do the investigation after half term. We just had an assessment on dialect and have another on fender tomorrow. We got a sheet on how to anser the questions. I could show you if you'd like?

I've chosen that topic too! its so difficult trying to figure out what to do for it though
I don't suppose anybody got any further with the Gender and Identity topic in Superhero Comics, have they? Our class is kind of stuck in a little bit of a rut at the minute trying to find some good sources. We're happy to share our stuff with anyone that can help us out. Thanks, everyone!
I'm still really stuck and starting to panic. No one else in my class is doing this topic
Original post by Noonieiom
I don't suppose anybody got any further with the Gender and Identity topic in Superhero Comics, have they? Our class is kind of stuck in a little bit of a rut at the minute trying to find some good sources. We're happy to share our stuff with anyone that can help us out. Thanks, everyone!
Original post by Becca_67
I'm still really stuck and starting to panic. No one else in my class is doing this topic

I think some of the suggested books are available online, although I can’t remember which ones. A good place to start is with the 3 D Models (Deficit, Dominance and Difference) and use these to go through comic books and try and prove/disprove them. There is an online vault of comic books that you can access. Also try making a mind map of all the different levels (graphology, grammar, phonology, lexis etc.) that should hopefully help get you to know where you need to do some more research :smile:.
How's everyone feeling about tomorrow?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending