The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Is St. Andrews boring?

I’ve got an offer for St. Andrews to start studying in September so I’ve been watching a few videos about accommodation and life and everything but the University seems to want to put across a certain type of person, one that comes across to me as someone I won’t really get a long with. I don’t want to be judgemental but everyone looks kind of quiet, awkward whereas I’m very sociable and like going out as well as the academic kind of life.

I was just wondering if this representation of St. Andrews is accurate? I really want to go there as it the course is amazing and the town is lovely but I’m just afraid I won’t really fit in and I’m more suited to a university like Leeds or Loughborough??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by caitlinhayes
I’ve got an offer for St. Andrews to start studying in September so I’ve been watching a few videos about accommodation and life and everything but the University seems to want to put across a certain type of person, one that comes across to me as someone I won’t really get a long with. I don’t want to be judgemental but everyone looks kind of quiet, awkward whereas I’m very sociable and like going out as well as the academic kind of life.

I was just wondering if this representation of St. Andrews is accurate? I really want to go there as it the course is amazing and the town is lovely but I’m just afraid I won’t really fit in and I’m more suited to a university like Leeds or Loughborough??

Firstly, I’d say St.Andrews is a better uni in terms of academics and job prospects than those two univerisities for mot degrees.

However, St.Andrews is very small, and this is something I’m worried about also.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by That'sGreat
Firstly, I’d say St.Andrews is a better uni in terms of academics and job prospects than those two univerisities for mot degrees.

However, St.Andrews is very small, and this is something I’m worried about also.

I guess uni life is what you make it??? But the people there just come across as so boring omg

You need to visit the university and see what your gut feeling about the place is. It's a right pain the backside to get to (they don't have a railway station) and driving there is a nightmare (30mph villages in between 60mph NSL country lanes constantly)

...but if you're going to spending at least 4-years of your life there, you may as well spend a day or two visiting the place, speaking to lecturers and students etc.

@wolfmoon88 is a student there

Moved to University of St Andrews
My best friend went there for an open day six years ago but thought something was a bit off with the atmosphere.
St Andrews is smaller, with limited transport links and a quieter more private environment.
The weather is often cold, icy and the degrees last for four years.
It often attracts a more reserved and conservative type of student.

It's very different from studying in London, which I prefer.
But student satisfaction with St Andrews seems quite high, the academic reputation is good and graduates are generally well regarded by most employers.

It's very much what you make it, and I'd never call it boring. There are dozens of societies to join and socialize with, there are house/flat parties, hall events, uni events, plenty of schoolwork to keep you occupied, trains and busses to Dundee, Edinburgh, and Glasgow, etc. In my 5 years there I met every sort of person you could imagine, and definitely not everyone is quiet and awkward. I'm certainly not.

It's not the place to be if you want to go clubbing every night, but there are plenty of parties and events and other ways to socialize. You have more time to do all of that, too, because you're not having to bus/train everywhere like you do in London. I did a semester in London and found that I actually had less time to have fun because I spent so much time (and money!) on transportation.

I would recommend visiting if you can. That said, I hated St A the first time I visited, went there anyway, and ended up loving it.
Reply 6
I firmed my offer yesterday (I absolutely loved it at the open day) and I consider myself a really sociable person, so I’m sure there’ll be more of us!
I think it’s a case of who you’re with, rather than where you are in terms of nights out and things.
I know a few people who are there already, and they have plenty of fun! Lots of partying too if their instagram accounts are anything to go by, lol.
Original post by keeks.tb
I firmed my offer yesterday (I absolutely loved it at the open day) and I consider myself a really sociable person, so I’m sure there’ll be more of us!
I think it’s a case of who you’re with, rather than where you are in terms of nights out and things.
I know a few people who are there already, and they have plenty of fun! Lots of partying too if their instagram accounts are anything to go by, lol.

I'm thinking of firming my offer as well! I've spoken to so many people know who seemed to have loved their time there. What are you going to study there?
Reply 8
I'm thinking of firming my offer as well! I've spoken to so many people know who seemed to have loved their time there. What are you going to study there?

I applied to do Spanish with a yeah abroad, but think I’ll pick up Italian and Persian too! How about you? X
I applied to do Spanish with a yeah abroad, but think I’ll pick up Italian and Persian too! How about you? X

I've applied to History but I'm not really sure yet about what else I'm going to pick up, maybe we'll walk past each other unknowingly in September ahaha, good luck with your exams x
I've applied to History but I'm not really sure yet about what else I'm going to pick up, maybe we'll walk past each other unknowingly in September ahaha, good luck with your exams x

Good luck to you too! I have the same username on Insta if you want to add it 😇
I did history at AS & the workload is pretty hugeee so I feel for you!! X
Good luck to you too! I have the same username on Insta if you want to add it 😇
I did history at AS & the workload is pretty hugeee so I feel for you!! X

I'll follow you now x
I'm currently in first year in St. Andrews and I was slightly worried about this as well. Compared to universities in bigger cities the nightlife isn't fantastic but it's not bad, there's a club in the union, plenty of bars, societies, flat/house parties and always lots going on in town. Dundee is also only half an hour away at most on the bus and they have one of the best student unions in the UK and loads of clubs, it's a great night out there if every now and then you want to go somewhere a little more varied and busy. Glasgow and Edinburgh are also only an hour or two away on the train and bus. There are definitely a fair few stereotypical St. Andrews students but honestly most students aren't like that at all and it's a great place to be
Original post by georgiamusgrove
I'm currently in first year in St. Andrews and I was slightly worried about this as well. Compared to universities in bigger cities the nightlife isn't fantastic but it's not bad, there's a club in the union, plenty of bars, societies, flat/house parties and always lots going on in town. Dundee is also only half an hour away at most on the bus and they have one of the best student unions in the UK and loads of clubs, it's a great night out there if every now and then you want to go somewhere a little more varied and busy. Glasgow and Edinburgh are also only an hour or two away on the train and bus. There are definitely a fair few stereotypical St. Andrews students but honestly most students aren't like that at all and it's a great place to be

That’s reassuring, what are you studying and how are you finding your first year altogether? I’ve heard so many people say that the first year at Scottish universities are pointless, is that true???
That’s reassuring, what are you studying and how are you finding your first year altogether? I’ve heard so many people say that the first year at Scottish universities are pointless, is that true???

I'm studying Spanish and Italian and both this semester and last semester I've done a module in linguistics for my third subject. I'm really enjoying it and personally I've never really heard that but I'm from Scotland so I don't know much about other universities to compare it to haha, I find it reassuring that I have this year to settle in and get used to the change in learning environment and if I don't do great in my exams it shouldn't really affect my degree. Obviously the university set up of classes and exams are pretty different to high school so I'm glad that I can get used to it before the workload gets a lot higher and more important
I'm studying Spanish and Italian and both this semester and last semester I've done a module in linguistics for my third subject. I'm really enjoying it and personally I've never really heard that but I'm from Scotland so I don't know much about other universities to compare it to haha, I find it reassuring that I have this year to settle in and get used to the change in learning environment and if I don't do great in my exams it shouldn't really affect my degree. Obviously the university set up of classes and exams are pretty different to high school so I'm glad that I can get used to it before the workload gets a lot higher and more important

I’m glad you’re enjoying it! You’re definitely making St Andrews more appealing ahah
I’m glad you’re enjoying it! You’re definitely making St Andrews more appealing ahah

Hahaha I'm glad! It's a lovely place it's beautiful here and it's a proper student town, there's a real sense of community which is really nice, if you haven't already look up Raisin Weekend and May Dip, they're two of many traditions and they're great fun

I’m really interested in picking up Italian to read alongside Spanish and I’d absolutely love to do a module in linguistics, how are you finding it? Do you mean third subject as in, instead of taking up a third course? (Applied for Spanish, was thinking of taking up Italian & Persian because I’ve heard you need to do three? Not 100% sure how it works yet!)
I’m really interested in picking up Italian to read alongside Spanish and I’d absolutely love to do a module in linguistics, how are you finding it? Do you mean third subject as in, instead of taking up a third course? (Applied for Spanish, was thinking of taking up Italian & Persian because I’ve heard you need to do three? Not 100% sure how it works yet!)

I'm really enjoying it! You have to do three subjects in first year and I picked Foundations of Languages because it was slightly related to what I was doing and nothing else appealed to me and I'm so happy I did. St. Andrews doesn't do it to degree level anymore so I'm actually kinda sad I won't be able to do it next year haha
:shock: Well I hope I don't come across as boring :hide:
I don't really get how people have come up with this stereotype of St Andrews being for 'quiet people'. Sure there are people who don't like partying but you get that at every uni. If anything, I'd say the majority of the student body go out quite often, especially as quite a lot of students are American, so they like to make use of the UK drinking laws :lol: Obviously there aren't that many clubs, but the union being our main 'club' is, in my opinion, better, as drink and entry prices are way cheaper (since they're for students), plus there are sooo many pubs dotted around town, and there's always the option of flat parties, or even travelling to nearby cities like Dundee (you can get a really cheap night bus pass which gives you unlimited travel to nearby cities) if you really do get bored, but personally I never have because there's always plenty going on here :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending