The Student Room Group

RAF medical

I have put in my application for the RAF but am worried about the medical when/if i get to it. Basically I used to have a bit of mild eczema on my hands but have been clear of it for a couple years now and haven’t had a prescription/been to the dr’s for it since 2017. I know ezcema is on the conditions that preclude entry list, but if i can prove i haven’t had any symtoms for the last couple years and it doesn’t affect me anymore, would I have a chance of passing the medical? Also i read that they don’t check your medical record unless something flags up in the medical, not sure if this is true but if so and my skin is clear of it anyway, will it be an issue?
Hope this makes sense.
Original post by Laura_45
I have put in my application for the RAF but am worried about the medical when/if i get to it. Basically I used to have a bit of mild eczema on my hands but have been clear of it for a couple years now and haven’t had a prescription/been to the dr’s for it since 2017. I know ezcema is on the conditions that preclude entry list, but if i can prove i haven’t had any symtoms for the last couple years and it doesn’t affect me anymore, would I have a chance of passing the medical? Also i read that they don’t check your medical record unless something flags up in the medical, not sure if this is true but if so and my skin is clear of it anyway, will it be an issue?
Hope this makes sense.

Hi

It's a bar to entry if it's 'active', if not and there's nothing else in your medical then you should be okay. Although the medical is part of the process for a reason, to make sure you're medically fit for the armed forces and service.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Hope this makes sense.

Hi Laura,

They will ask if you’ve had any past medical issues or been to see your GP/A&E for any problems. The Capita doctors will have the current up to date publications and guidelines. Don’t be concerned if they make you TMU ‘Temporarily Unfit’ - most candidates are (I included) whilst they write to your GP for any further information needed.

Best case - there won’t be any issues and you’ll be passed fit.

I’m not trying to scare-monger by any means but just be aware they may want to further investigate.

Best of luck!
Reply 3
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

It's a bar to entry if it's 'active', if not and there's nothing else in your medical then you should be okay. Although the medical is part of the process for a reason, to make sure you're medically fit for the armed forces and service.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Hi Adam,
Thank you for replying. It’s not actually active now, so fingers crossed everything will be ok. I’ve filled out the medical screening questionnair which has no mention of eczema, but is there any other forms I’d have to fill out declaring I have had eczema or just see if its picked up in the medical?
Reply 4
Original post by 0902
Hi Laura,

They will ask if you’ve had any past medical issues or been to see your GP/A&E for any problems. The Capita doctors will have the current up to date publications and guidelines. Don’t be concerned if they make you TMU ‘Temporarily Unfit’ - most candidates are (I included) whilst they write to your GP for any further information needed.

Best case - there won’t be any issues and you’ll be passed fit.

I’m not trying to scare-monger by any means but just be aware they may want to further investigate.

Best of luck!

Hi,
Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate the information! I’ve read other threads and stuff online mentioning Capita but they havent given me too much confidence; i know i’ll have to wait until the medical to find out for sure, just helps to know what to expect 🙂
I was also in your shoes a few years ago, had a small rash on hand then I was told that I had to be 3 years clear of eczema before i was eligible to join again.
Finally those 3 years have passed and im currently waiting to go to halton for BRTC in July!
Good luck!!
Hi Adam,
Thank you for replying. It’s not actually active now, so fingers crossed everything will be ok. I’ve filled out the medical screening questionnair which has no mention of eczema, but is there any other forms I’d have to fill out declaring I have had eczema or just see if its picked up in the medical?

How or why could something so small take away someone's chances at joining the RAF?
Reply 7
Original post by Gingertraveller
How or why could something so small take away someone's chances at joining the RAF?

The armed forces work to different standards than most industries. Something that would be seen as minor in, say, an office in a city, can have a very different effect in a war zone.

You can't guarantee a constant supply of medication. You can't guarantee that you won't encounter an allergen. You certainly can't guarantee that you won't encounter stress or life threatening situations.

All of those are triggers to what would normally appear as fairly benign conditions, but in an environment where people are literally placing their lives in your hands, you can't be incapacitated.

The armed forces medicals might seem over zealous to some, but everything's in there for a reason.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8

Firstly, skin conditions could become worse when they come into contact with various substances. Even if you don't think you would be using chemicals in your job on a daily basis (eg, an admin job as opposed to a technician working on aircraft) there are items such as oil for cleaning rifles that will be used during training and could cause irritation. Personnel should be fit to carry out all the requirements of the job, and it's no good if they can't carry a rucksack because of a rash on their back or use tools or a weapon because of a problem on their hands.

Secondly, you might not be in a situation where you could treat a skin condition. Even if it's something like an application of cream, you could be unable to break off from what you are doing to carry this out. Also, the prescription needs to be available to you; no good running out of medication and not being able to get a resupply.
Interesting, I guess it's common sense considering the type of job it is.

Thank you for the replies. Interesting to see though what the British forces or any forces I would imagine require the attention to detail. I think it is a shame they aren't as clinical with treating their boys after war as before bringing them in ( that's not even a political point, a cheap one that would be at that but well a point of an observer).
Reply 10
Original post by HiddenHorcrux
I was also in your shoes a few years ago, had a small rash on hand then I was told that I had to be 3 years clear of eczema before i was eligible to join again.
Finally those 3 years have passed and im currently waiting to go to halton for BRTC in July!
Good luck!!

Thats amazing, must be a big relief! Thank you replying, this has really helped eased my worrying. Good luck at Halton! 😃
Reply 11

Thats exactly what my thoughts have been like and i find it frustrating that it could prevent me from joining even tho its never affected me. Although I understand why this is, and theres no guarantee that the eczema wont be affected in the job and there wont always be treatment available if it did flare up.
Original post by HiddenHorcrux
Good luck!!

Was it specifically Capita who said you’d need to be 3 years clear of symptoms before you could apply again?
Reply 13
Original post by Graveyard94
Was it specifically Capita who said you’d need to be 3 years clear of symptoms before you could apply again?

That poster hasn't been on here for 3 years.

Latest