The Student Room Group

Civil Service Reserve List AO Caseworker

Not sure whether there’s already a thread for this but couldn’t find one!

I had an interview for AO caseworker in Liverpool back in June, was told I passed my assessment and through to interview. Scored all 6’s in my assessment and interview and had an email about a week later to say I’m on a reserve list that I can be on for up to 12 months and they will make me aware when a vacancy becomes available. Anyone else in this position or know roughly how long I’ll have to wait if I do get a position? Hoping I hear back soon!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Not sure whether there’s already a thread for this but couldn’t find one!

I had an interview for AO caseworker in Liverpool back in June, was told I passed my assessment and through to interview. Scored all 6’s in my assessment and interview and had an email about a week later to say I’m on a reserve list that I can be on for up to 12 months and they will make me aware when a vacancy becomes available. Anyone else in this position or know roughly how long I’ll have to wait if I do get a position? Hoping I hear back soon!

Hi! We must have been in the same batch of Assessment Centres. There is a thread called Home Office Caseworker which chronicles the journey of the last merit list that was in place for these roles. Many of the people on there originally applied back in March 2017, were initially told they'd not made the cut after online tests but were called to an assessment centre in November. Some of those are still waiting on start dates. So I think that our merit/reserve list is dependent on them being placed first. I'm not sure if there was a merit list before that of people who were called to assessment centres in March.

Sounds like it is pretty chaotic at the minute - getting all of them started/trained is something of a monumental exercise. According to what people on there say, they may have only been on the reserve list a matter of weeks before the provisional offer came along but I don't think you can look on that as typical as it depends on the demand.

We are waiting for a provisional offer initially which involves us having to have the counter terrorism check and pre-employment checks done prior to a firm offer of a start date. This can take months, it seems.
Ah thanks for your reply! Oh wow really, that’s ages isn’t it they have been waiting! I have a friend who went for an EO role sometime last year, must have been just after the summer and she only started last month! The new settlement scheme is supposedly meant to go live in October, so hopefully we should hear back soon :smile: xx
Reply 3
Original post by heidimattocks
Ah thanks for your reply! Oh wow really, that’s ages isn’t it they have been waiting! I have a friend who went for an EO role sometime last year, must have been just after the summer and she only started last month! The new settlement scheme is supposedly meant to go live in October, so hopefully we should hear back soon :smile: xx

Here's hoping! Come back and let us know if you hear anything. :smile:
Hi guys,I interviewed for the AO caseworker role in June and again was replaced on a reserve list. I am wondering myself if anyone has of yet been offered a position?I only got 4,4,4 in my interview so I am probably right at the bottom of the list.Anyone knows anymore it would be good to hear.Thanks.
Reply 5
I interviewed 6 June and went on the reserve list. I got a provisional offer on 13 September. I'm currently undergoing pre-employment checks but haven't had the ctc link yet. I got 7 7 5 in the Assessment Centre. Some were made offers on the day or later in the month and now have start dates in November. Hang on in there!
Anyone found anything else out yet? I got 4,4,4 so much be right at the bottom of the list :-/
Reply 7
Still waiting on checks to complete.
They probably will get you all in and trained before they make anymore appointments :/
I got 6,6,5 and got a provisional offer last week. They are doing pre employment checks now. I have CTC clearance until Sep 19 from previous job so hopefully may speed things up a bit.
That’s good :-) it looks like the numbers are slowly coming down and they are on the six and fives and employing quickly :-) probs where I am I’ll say it will be after Christmas before I get an offer if they are still employing which benefits me anyway :-)
how do these reserve lists work?
Normally when a job is advertised they take a chunk of people they need and then keep a reserve list for people that may be neede in future. This was slightly different, as it was advertised stating it did not need people until end of year or beginning of next, so really everyone started on a reserve list. Everyone who passed interview was placed on a list in order of marks achieved from Interview and the assessment.When roles come up they offer them to people on the list.They must expect they will need plenty of people, I’ve never seen them hold so many Interviews/Assessments and use hotels before. In the few years I previously worked in the HO they never went to this much trouble.
So there’s not a definite chance but a high possibility that I will be appointed for a role and it might take a while though because I am probably with my scores near the bottom.
Reply 14
Original post by Gradjobhunter1
So there’s not a definite chance but a high possibility that I will be appointed for a role and it might take a while though because I am probably with my scores near the bottom.

There are never any guarantees but the last reserve list (which was started about May 2017 and replenished in about December) for AO/EO caseworkers at Liverpool was exhausted and at my interview in June, it was intimated that they would employ everyone on this one. Bear in mind, some of those on the list from December last year are only now being taken on, so it could be a long wait. If you are currently unemployed or in a job you hate, it might be worth considering looking for something else while you wait. My big insecurity is if Brexit doesn't happen, as these are, I believe, for Euro casework - that's just my personal deep, dark fear. Common sense would say that they need everyone in place for March...but since when did common sense prevail in this recruitment process? :biggrin:
It looks as if they are working through it just depends how many people are on the list and how many people they have a remote to employ. Hopefully I’ll hear something before Christmas :-)
Original post by Screenager77
Normally when a job is advertised they take a chunk of people they need and then keep a reserve list for people that may be neede in future. This was slightly different, as it was advertised stating it did not need people until end of year or beginning of next, so really everyone started on a reserve list. Everyone who passed interview was placed on a list in order of marks achieved from Interview and the assessment.When roles come up they offer them to people on the list.They must expect they will need plenty of people, I’ve never seen them hold so many Interviews/Assessments and use hotels before. In the few years I previously worked in the HO they never went to this much trouble.

Thanks. so they offer jobs according to your scores? Is there anythign else they take into account?
Original post by Simonthegreat
Thanks. so they offer jobs according to your scores? Is there anythign else they take into account?

Not that I know of. I think the reserve list is made from your combined scores from test and assessment.

Nothing else is looked at, they don’t even look at any of your information before or during interview. Your details are only checked after your provisional offer.
Original post by Screenager77
Not that I know of. I think the reserve list is made from your combined scores from test and assessment.

Nothing else is looked at, they don’t even look at any of your information before or during interview. Your details are only checked after your provisional offer.

Cheers:smile:
Reply 19
Has anyone had a start date recently?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending