The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Is Open University considered full time study with DWP if undertaking 120 credits

This is an important question. Most searches on the internet have a range of answers. Something transparent would be good. The recommended hours per paper, from experience vary on a student level according to experience
Reply 1
Hi,

I'm a little confused with your question, mainly because of your use of the word 'paper', which unlike brick universities isn't used at the OU. But I'll try to answer anyway.

To the DWP and others, I'm quite certain if you're over 18/19 (depending on your birthday) and study 120 credits you're classed as studying full time, unless it's under 22 hours of study per week.

The OU recommends 32-36 hours of study time per week for 120 credits (Full Time).

I would though, recommend just calling the DWP and asking a bunch of questions. As you said, the internet can say polar opposite things which is then hard to trust. The DWP cannot punish you or review your files just by enquiring. It's better to get a straight answer from the DWP. :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Original post by Fwd
Hi,

I'm a little confused with your question, mainly because of your use of the word 'paper', which unlike brick universities isn't used at the OU. But I'll try to answer anyway.

To the DWP and others, I'm quite certain if you're over 18/19 (depending on your birthday) and study 120 credits you're classed as studying full time, unless it's under 22 hours of study per week.

The OU recommends 32-36 hours of study time per week for 120 credits (Full Time).

I would though, recommend just calling the DWP and asking a bunch of questions. As you said, the internet can say polar opposite things which is then hard to trust. The DWP cannot punish you or review your files just by enquiring. It's better to get a straight answer from the DWP. :smile:

Thanks. Paper is a old fashioned term for module (a bit of a giveaway to my ancient age) The Open University does not qualify as a institution that enables students to receive a maintenance loan, as it does not have a campus. Uniquely if someone has experience in a field of study, the recommended hours may be lighter. I rang DWP general enquiry line, evidently if study is undertaken by distance it is not full-time even at 120 credits, as the hours committed by the student vary to the recommended hours listed by The Open University and those are undertaken at home in varying ways. The Department of Education and Training have a list of courses that are recognised by DWP as full-time which I will try and check online to see if any of The Open University courses are listed. The general enquiry line did say ESA and DLA clients can study at Open University, therefore it would be considered a client transitioning (albeit ready to or not) to UC, JSA could continue and are eligible for that support whilst looking for work. If anything comes to light different to that I will post a comment.
Original post by majordarkruler
Thanks. Paper is a old fashioned term for module (a bit of a giveaway to my ancient age) The Open University does not qualify as a institution that enables students to receive a maintenance loan, as it does not have a campus. Uniquely if someone has experience in a field of study, the recommended hours may be lighter. I rang DWP general enquiry line, evidently if study is undertaken by distance it is not full-time even at 120 credits, as the hours committed by the student vary to the recommended hours listed by The Open University and those are undertaken at home in varying ways. The Department of Education and Training have a list of courses that are recognised by DWP as full-time which I will try and check online to see if any of The Open University courses are listed. The general enquiry line did say ESA and DLA clients can study at Open University, therefore it would be considered a client transitioning (albeit ready to or not) to UC, JSA could continue and are eligible for that support whilst looking for work. If anything comes to light different to that I will post a comment.

Okay, further to my question or concern. There is a DWP policy for deciding. It is not available through a google search. Something I noticed was there is also a change in its consideration towards a person on ESA. (not a part of my original question) Mine was in regards to the JSA UC type client, however I found that change interesting. Evidently a distance learning or if at, The Open University with an 'equivalency of full-time; study does allow you to be eligible for UC, JSA as you can meet the criteria to look for work for more than or for 3 days of a week. It is not at all transparent and those policies are not accessible in search. You could argue that is an issue in itself. If you should undertake a course and then find yourself confronting the question. I would hope that information direct from DWP is correct
Okay, further to my question or concern. There is a DWP policy for deciding. It is not available through a google search. Something I noticed was there is also a change in its consideration towards a person on ESA. (not a part of my original question) Mine was in regards to the JSA UC type client, however I found that change interesting. Evidently a distance learning or if at, The Open University with an 'equivalency of full-time; study does allow you to be eligible for UC, JSA as you can meet the criteria to look for work for more than or for 3 days of a week. It is not at all transparent and those policies are not accessible in search. You could argue that is an issue in itself. If you should undertake a course and then find yourself confronting the question. I would hope that information direct from DWP is correct

The people you should be asking is Citizens Advice and the OU. I've never heard of their being an issue with taking 120 credits and claiming ESA/UC - but best to check with the relevant officials.
Yes thanks. That was an answer from DWP
This is an important question. Most searches on the internet have a range of answers. Something transparent would be good. The recommended hours per paper, from experience vary on a student level according to experience

You will need to look it up in the cpag UC credit guide at the library or get CAB ro look it up for you.
Assuming credits are the same as uni credits, then 120 would be the same as a full time student.
They are strict about the purpose of UC is you are looking for a job and not to fund your studies.

You have to declare it. Your work coach has to be satisfied you are spending 35 hours a week looking for a job. the answers will be in cpag, which they will have a copy of at the library.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-and-students
(edited 5 years ago)

It is always considered part time by the student finance companies, even if you study 120 credits in a year.

Quick Reply

Latest