The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

I love Durham but hate my allocated college - advice?

Hi all,

I was really excited to see I’d received an offer to study law at Durham a few weeks ago as it’s my dream university.

I initially applied to St Mary’s and absolutely loved it but when I checked today I saw that I’ve been allocated Hatfield and I’m pretty upset.

I love Durham but having looked more at Hatfield it seems much too “rawh” and posh for me - having come from a relatively, poor state school background I’m worried I won’t fit in.

The issue of sharing rooms is also something I don’t want as I’ve always valued my own space.

I don’t want to not go to Durham as it’s been something I’ve really pushed and worked hard for but I’m really put off my Hatfield and am getting cold feet.

Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi I got reallocated too, I think the rah thing is really a stereotype so I wouldn’t worry to much. Try speaking to some Hatfield students and you’ll be able to get a better feel for the environment there, it’s really not too different from St Mary’s, mine is completely different and I’m upset so I can relate :/
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by jarratel
Hi I got reallocated too, I think the rah thing is really a stereotype so I wouldn’t worry to much. Try speaking to some Hatfield students and you’ll be able to get a better feel for the environment there, it’s really not too different from St Mary’s, mine is completely different and I’m upset so I can relate :/

Thank you, it’s still very disappointing though, which I know you understand.

Where did you get reallocated from and to where?
I hated mine when I was there, hence chose private accommodation. It's an option you may want to consider.
Original post by random_matt
I hated mine when I was there, hence chose private accommodation. It's an option you may want to consider.

Potentially, I just don’t want to feel as though I’m missing out or did it not negatively effect your social life? Where did you initially get allocated to?

Any knowledge about Hatfield as well or am I over exaggerating?
Original post by Anna_mcgregor
Potentially, I just don’t want to feel as though I’m missing out or did it not negatively effect your social life? Where did you initially get allocated to?

Cuths, but the self catering was a long way from the science site, so went to some studios on Newcastle road (Also miles away, lol). You are probably over exaggerating, know nothing of Hatfield to be honest, but it will be alright.

i think you are.

if you were a 5ft 5, scrawny state-school boy i could understand the fear of being surrounded by rowdy middle-class rugger buggers for 3 years, but the reality is as a girl, your only problem is if you have a prejudice against posh people, which i am sure you don't. they are nice when you get to know them, just dont display a chip on your shoulder and hatfield will be great fun.
Cuths, but the self catering was a long way from the science site, so went to some studios on Newcastle road (Also miles away, lol). You are probably over exaggerating, know nothing of Hatfield to be honest, but it will be alright.

Thank you, it’s just a bit disheartening I suppose.

How do you find the social life at Durham on the whole?
Thank you, it’s just a bit disheartening I suppose.

How do you find the social life at Durham on the whole?

Terrible, I'm almost 34.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
i think you are.

if you were a 5ft 5, scrawny state-school boy i could understand the fear of being surrounded by rowdy middle-class rugger buggers for 3 years, but the reality is as a girl, your only problem is if you have a prejudice against posh people, which i am sure you don't. they are nice when you get to know them, just dont display a chip on your shoulder and hatfield will be great fun.

Thank you, that’s lifted my spirits somewhat :smile:

I’m just worried I won’t fit in I suppose and was so set on St Mary’s that I don’t know how to take the news; do you have any knowledge on Hatfield?
Terrible, I'm almost 34.

Oh that makes more sense then haha 😂
i think you are.

I’m worried about sharing a room though - I’ve always valued my privacy and don’t think sharing a room would work for me.

In freshers especially I intend to let myself go a little and bring guys back and imagine that’ll be a little difficult with a room mate! :colondollar:

Is there anyway to guarantee a single room?
Thank you, that’s lifted my spirits somewhat :smile:

I’m just worried I won’t fit in I suppose and was so set on St Mary’s that I don’t know how to take the news; do you have any knowledge on Hatfield?

yeah it's as public school as it gets. but as i said, being female you are probably not going to have the same problem with big rugby lads as if you were a boy. i even suspect you might like rugby lads ha. i went to a uni full of poshos and they are really lovely for the most part.
I’m worried about sharing a room though - I’ve always valued my privacy and don’t think sharing a room would work for me.

In freshers especially I intend to let myself go a little and bring guys back and imagine that’ll be a little difficult with a room mate! :colondollar:

Is there anyway to guarantee a single room?

and with regards to single rooms... i cannot comment. i got out of shared rooms in my uni by using a medical excuse. room mates can really help fit in, which, as you say is your main concern. i am sure partners work out how to spend time with eachother despite having roommates, normally the showers tbh lol
and with regards to single rooms... i cannot comment. i got out of shared rooms in my uni by using a medical excuse. room mates can really help fit in, which, as you say is your main concern. i am sure partners work out how to spend time with eachother despite having roommates, normally the showers tbh lol

Do you think I could feign some sort of medical excise to try and get a single room? It’s something I really think would effect my experience.

What’s the social life like at Durham as a whole though?
Do you think I could feign some sort of medical excise to try and get a single room? It’s something I really think would effect my experience.

What’s the social life like at Durham as a whole though?

i suppose you could try, but it would only work if hatfield have any single rooms in the first place.

the social life is limited but nice, it's obviously a lovely town with a very small number of student clubs. regular trips to newcastle are prob very good. have you considered any other unis?
i suppose you could try, but it would only work if hatfield have any single rooms in the first place.

the social life is limited but nice, it's obviously a lovely town with a very small number of student clubs. regular trips to newcastle are prob very good. have you considered any other unis?

I’ve gotten offers from Nottingham, Exeter, York and Newcastle but very undecided.

I’m leaning towards Durham from a prestige point of view but really no idea!
Thank you, it’s still very disappointing though, which I know you understand.

Where did you get reallocated from and to where?

From St Johns to Trevelyan. I’m really disappointed and it’s honestly made me not want to go to Durham anymore... I’m more upset then when I was rejected from Oxford!
I’ve gotten offers from Nottingham, Exeter, York and Newcastle but very undecided.

I’m leaning towards Durham from a prestige point of view but really no idea!

i don't reckon Durham will be seen as that prestigious in a few years time because they are expanding sooo much (most unis are but Durham particularly) that it's going to lower the selectivity, a bit like how Manchester is a very good uni but not that selective by way of having 40,000 students.

and that's not even mentioning how much prestige actually matters. it helped & mattered a lot to me but doesn't matter for 80% of people. you will get great job prospects from all 5 of youear choices, with Newcastle and Notts having a great nightlife.
i don't reckon Durham will be seen as that prestigious in a few years time because they are expanding sooo much (most unis are but Durham particularly) that it's going to lower the selectivity, a bit like how Manchester is a very good uni but not that selective by way of having 40,000 students.

and that's not even mentioning how much prestige actually matters. it helped & mattered a lot to me but doesn't matter for 80% of people. you will get great job prospects from all 5 of youear choices, with Newcastle and Notts having a great nightlife.

Thank you that’s helpful :smile: I think I really just need to analyse my choices a bit more and see as right now I really have no idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending