The Student Room Group

"Genuine Error" from Uni when giving out an offer

Hi!!

Recently I received a conditional offer from a uni with the terms of their offer being that I achieved the IB Diploma. I made it my firm and consequently I was emailed saying their had been a "genuine error" mistaking my predicted and real grades and that I wouldn't be given a place. I already received my IB Diploma (meeting the requirements of their offer) so I am in a situation where I really don't know what to do.

How can I appeal to the university?
Original post by ppstudent245
Hi!!

Recently I received a conditional offer from a uni with the terms of their offer being that I achieved the IB Diploma. I made it my firm and consequently I was emailed saying their had been a "genuine error" mistaking my predicted and real grades and that I wouldn't be given a place. I already received my IB Diploma (meeting the requirements of their offer) so I am in a situation where I really don't know what to do.

There’s very little point appealing.

Do you have any other offers? The university should have contacted ucas to revert your choices so that you can pick a new firm
Seems extremely unprofessional. While it may not be worthwhile to appeal, if I were you, I’d ask for feedback. How committed were you to this university?
Hi!!

It can't hurt to appeal it if you really want to, but don't expect too much to come from it.
Reply 4
If you already have the qualification surely the offer should become unconditional and not withdrawn?
which uni was it?
Hi!!

This is perplexing. If I understand it correctly, you applied with your IB grades, and they made you an offer. They thought, though, that your actual grades were merely predicted grades.

But the offer they made you (based on what they thought were predicted grades) had already been met by the grades which you had told them you already had?

If that's the case, I do not understand why they would then withdraw the offer. The fact that they mistook your grades for predictions is moot, surely?
I thought that once an offer was made, mistake or otherwise, universities were not allowed to rescind them. You should contact UCAS.

If you firmed the uni, it's not fair for them to rescind it and they shouldn't be allowed to do so.
Original post by Quick-use
I thought that once an offer was made, mistake or otherwise, universities were not allowed to rescind them. You should contact UCAS.

If you firmed the uni, it's not fair for them to rescind it and they shouldn't be allowed to do so.

You thought wrong. Universities are allowed to revoke offers in the case of a genuine error as long as they explain the situation to the applicant
The same happened to me last year. I wrote to the department that made the offer and explained. They had to contact UCAS to reverse the decision. Definitely worth it if it is the uni you wanted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending