The Student Room Group

Certificate of Higher Education??

Hi,

What does Certificate of Higher Education mean?

I applied for statement of comparability of my first degree (bs business administration, which I did in asia) and this is the comparable UK qualification.

Does that mean my bachelor's degree is useless? Does that mean I don't have a degree?

If so, does that mean I may qualify for student loan if I decide to study here in the UK for any degree?

Thanks for any input :smile:
Reply 1
bump
Original post by a0f83w
Hi,

What does Certificate of Higher Education mean?

I applied for statement of comparability of my first degree (bs business administration, which I did in asia) and this is the comparable UK qualification.

Does that mean my bachelor's degree is useless? Does that mean I don't have a degree?

If so, does that mean I may qualify for student loan if I decide to study here in the UK for any degree?

Thanks for any input :smile:

Hello,

Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) is a level 4 qualification, which is deemed as a preliminary course.

You may be eligible to apply for a Top Up for your honours degree.

Thanks, Lynsey.
Reply 3
Original post by Lynsey SFE
Hello,

Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) is a level 4 qualification, which is deemed as a preliminary course.

You may be eligible to apply for a Top Up for your honours degree.

Thanks, Lynsey.

I called the Student Finance Services and I got two contradicting answers. The first time I called, the person I talked to said that similar to what you said and that I may only qualify for one more year and the second time I called (after a few minutes becos i got disconnected), the second person said exactly the opposite. That since my qualification is level 4, that it wouldn't affect my application for a student loan, basically I can take any course I choose.

I don't know which one to believe.

So basically this is what appears on my statement of comparability:

RQF Level 4 / SCQF Level 7 / CQFW Level 4
Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE)
Reply 4
bump
Reply 5
bump
Reply 6
bump
Original post by a0f83w
I called the Student Finance Services and I got two contradicting answers. The first time I called, the person I talked to said that similar to what you said and that I may only qualify for one more year and the second time I called (after a few minutes becos i got disconnected), the second person said exactly the opposite. That since my qualification is level 4, that it wouldn't affect my application for a student loan, basically I can take any course I choose.

I don't know which one to believe.

So basically this is what appears on my statement of comparability:

RQF Level 4 / SCQF Level 7 / CQFW Level 4
Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE)

Hi there,

When you are looking to start a new course then we would take into account any years you have undertaken on the course you have stated to see what funding you would be eligible for.

What course are you looking to start in the UK?

Thanks, Erin
Reply 8
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi there,

When you are looking to start a new course then we would take into account any years you have undertaken on the course you have stated to see what funding you would be eligible for.

What course are you looking to start in the UK?

Thanks, Erin

Hi Erin, I have a BS in Business Administration from abroad which is only equivalent to CertHE RQF Level4 here in UK and I'm looking into studying Finance or Hotel Management here in London.
Hi Erin, I have a BS in Business Administration from abroad which is only equivalent to CertHE RQF Level4 here in UK and I'm looking into studying Finance or Hotel Management here in London.

Hello,

We have to look at how many years you've spent in higher education previously when assessing you for funding on your new course.

If the BS in Business Administration (Equivalent CertHE) is the only time you've spent in higher education, how long did you spend on that course?

How long will your new course be in London? 3 years full time or will it be a part time degree?

Other important factors:

- How old you are (eg are you under 60).
- Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK over the last 5 years.

Warm Regards, Dean.
Reply 10
Original post by SFE Dean
Hello,

We have to look at how many years you've spent in higher education previously when assessing you for funding on your new course.

If the BS in Business Administration (Equivalent CertHE) is the only time you've spent in higher education, how long did you spend on that course?

How long will your new course be in London? 3 years full time or will it be a part time degree?

Other important factors:

- How old you are (eg are you under 60).
- Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK over the last 5 years.

Warm Regards, Dean.

I spent about 4.5 years (one associate, one bachelors)

my age is under 60,
EU national, at least 3 years in the uk in sep19

thinking of taking a 3 to 4 year course, full time
Original post by a0f83w
I spent about 4.5 years (one associate, one bachelors)

my age is under 60,
EU national, at least 3 years in the uk in sep19

thinking of taking a 3 to 4 year course, full time

Hi,

Your previous study will affect your entitlement to funding. We look at the length of the course you want to do, add an additional year and then take away the years of previous study.

A half year counts as one year meaning 4.5 years would count as 5 years in the calculation, so if you wanted to do the 4 year course your calculation would be: 4 + 1 - 5 = 0 years of entitlement remaining. You wouldn't be eligible for Tuition Fee Loan in any year of the course.

You may be eligible for the Maintenance Loan though. Although you don't have the required years of residency in the UK you may be able to apply as a Migrant Worker. Will you be working through your studies?

Thanks,
Stuart

Quick Reply

Latest