The Student Room Group

History degree- disney dissertation?

Hey!
So i really want to do a dissertation on disneys impact on animation, how he revolutionized the industry, his influence/impact on the masses etc

My tutor is concerned about a potential lack of historical focus-can anybody help with this?
Im going to include stuff about disneys propaganda cartoons in ww2 and how they impacted and influenced the US homefront, but i dont want my whole dissertation to be about this topic.

Im really struggling in picking a disney topic which is suitable for a history degree.
Original post by charliemason98
Hey!
So i really want to do a dissertation on disneys impact on animation, how he revolutionized the industry, his influence/impact on the masses etc

My tutor is concerned about a potential lack of historical focus-can anybody help with this?
Im going to include stuff about disneys propaganda cartoons in ww2 and how they impacted and influenced the US homefront, but i dont want my whole dissertation to be about this topic.

Im really struggling in picking a disney topic which is suitable for a history degree.

See no reason why the historiography of Walt Disney Studios should be any less rich than say, the C20th Greek Civil War. That said, you'll need to decide early what your focus will be - and why you believe it is worthy of study. If you do these well you may become a primary source yourself.
Original post by charliemason98
Hey!

Hey,

This sounds like a really interesting topic! I was the same when I started my own dissertation. I found it easiest to start with my possible chapters. You can find so much inspiration through different sources and the sources they've referenced.

Maybe mindmap more from the 'impact' of Disney to create your chapters to support your argument. So, the impact on the animation industry, propaganda and maybe gender roles.

Hope this helps,
Charlotte :smile:
Reply 3
Can I point out that your tutor probably knows a hell of a lot more about writing a dissertation/history than you do, and will be marking your dissertation? Isn't ignoring their feedback a bit dumb?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending