The Student Room Group

Why are all British expats in places like Benidorm so pro-Brexit?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ambitious1999
It was in a travel and tourism magazine I read.

Which one?

Established expats living in Benidorm weren't given the opportunity to vote in the referendum.
Im only going off the stats.

I once went to Benidorm and that is literally what it is like. The Brits think they own the place and complain if there are too many Spanish.

Here is a classic!
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/uknews/7008546/brit-gran-not-first-complain-spanish-tourists-in-benidorm/

A lot of the visitors to the resort have no respect at all for the locals, how they dress and behave yet they are the first to complain about foreign people back in England and thus voted Brexit also largely based off what they read in the Sun. They probably think after Brexit they will get Benidorm all to themselves and the Spanish will be forced to leave.

In fact you don’t even need to visit Benidorm to see what it’s like. Just watch the TV series and you’ll see what we mean.

So your sources are the Sun and a TV "sitcom".
Oh and some travel and tourism magazine.
You have got me there, lol.
Also because you've gone for the lowest common denominators there could you please point me to the Guardian articles, or the bbc4 documentaries about the hordes of youngsters flocking to Italy, France et Al, or are they older folk as I said.
You also mentioned Magaluf as the second most pro Brexit destination, are you going to try to tell me that everyone that goes there is old and decrepit too? You really do seem quite contemptuous of the working classes.
(edited 5 years ago)
Going on holiday doesn't make you an expat...at any rate, actual expats will get bitten in their ass. They will no longer have medical care in Spain, they will need to buy private health insurance. Dumbasses.
Original post by yudothis
Going on holiday doesn't make you an expat...at any rate, actual expats will get bitten in their ass. They will no longer have medical care in Spain, they will need to buy private health insurance. Dumbasses.

They don't have health care worth a jot now anyway, the European health card is worth very very little.
Reply 24
The majority of British people who go on holiday to Benidorm are very pro Brexit as are the majority of ex pats in Benidorm. Surely they know their holidays will become much more expensive due to Brexit and if it’s a no deal Brexit which is becoming an increasing certainty, they might not even get to Benidorm for their annual holiday.
A lot of Brits go to Benidorm to work in bars and cafes but after Brexit they will need Spanish work permits which likely to be scarce and only available to Brits who have qualifications and skills that Spain is in need of not for Cafe assistants and kitchen porters!
Life for ex pats will become much harder too.

So it’s like Turkeys voting for Xmas.

The only good thing is seeing the Spanish reclaim Benidorm from Brits why think it belongs to them.

Why do they support Brexit?

Because they view it as respecting the sovereignty of the British parliament and it's justice system. Why should the European Union/ECJ be able to decide our laws? Otherwise, why bother having judges or MPs in Britain? Also, there seems to be some issues surrounding control of British borders.
Taking holidays abroad etc issues I think are much exaggerated as an issue; if tourism dries up it will affect Europe as well because it is a billion pound industry for them as well!
because they're not very bright.
Reply 26
Original post by j6666leo

Really? lol.
Original post by mgi
Really? lol.

It is indeed a very well thought out reply that proves that particular posters superior intellect.

Brilliant, care to explain why you have labelled a vast demographic you don't know a derogatory term.

Just posting bigoted things like this shows the same unsavoury attitude racist, sexist, ageist, etc people also share.
Original post by Burton Bridge
Brilliant, care to explain why you have labelled a vast demographic you don't know a derogatory term.

Just posting bigoted things like this shows the same unsavoury attitude racist, sexist, ageist, etc people also share.

Because, typically Benidorm expats are working class. Typically, working class people voted Brexit. Working class people voted Brexit because they feel ignored by the establishment and this was their cry for attention.

Unfortunately, although a legitimate concern, voting to leave the EU has consequences that outweigh concerns around working class voices being suppressed.
If those who supported Brexit have to pay more for their holidays, or expats supporting it have to return home, then there is a second benefit to Brexit. The first being 22 UKIP MEPs being unemployed.
Reply 31
Because, typically Benidorm expats are working class. Typically, working class people voted Brexit. Working class people voted Brexit because they feel ignored by the establishment and this was their cry for attention.

Unfortunately, although a legitimate concern, voting to leave the EU has consequences that outweigh concerns around working class voices being suppressed.

Original post by DSutch
If those who supported Brexit have to pay more for their holidays, or expats supporting it have to return home, then there is a second benefit to Brexit. The first being 22 UKIP MEPs being unemployed.

Most expats in Benidorm or anywhere didn't get a vote. They are excluded from UK elections and referendums.

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jun/27/labour-betraying-british-citizens-abroad-who-cannot-vote?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fpolitics%2F2018%2Fjun%2F27%2Flabour-betraying-british-citizens-abroad-who-cannot-vote

“More than 60% of the estimated 4.9 million British people living abroad could not vote in the [EU] referendum"

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
I think the Spanish will be better off. There are plenty of other Europeans who can take the place of Brits, many Europeans who don’t go to Benidorm at present because of its reputation for drunkenness and hooliganism.
There are also a lot of rich Russians who are increasingly holidaying in Spain. They will bring a lot more money to the resort than Brits do and who are unlikely to get drunk and cause trouble, litter the place or put strain on police services and healthcare.

I live in Spain and is very embarrassing the behavior of this people and in Magaluf... :mad: This british people shed a very unflattering to rest of UK people. There are many old british people in Benidorm who voted Brexit and they have not idea about the consequences. But is a big mistake because they can be have many problems to stay in Spain if they don't have the visas.
Reply 33
Original post by Gossamer
There are many old british people in Benidorm who voted Brexit and they have not idea about the consequences. But is a big mistake because they can be have many problems to stay in Spain if they don't have the visas.

No. See my post above, most didn't vote at all, because they weren't allowed to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
No. See my post above, most didn't vote at all, because they weren't allowed to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh so sorry! You have reason of that. I don't know about this but many spaniards who live in UK have many problems for vote when in Spain there are election:
Spain new: https://www.elboletin.com/noticia/170955/nacional/miles-de-espanoles-en-el-extranjero-se-quedaran-sin-votar-pese-a-las-promesas-del-gobierno-de-sanchez.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending