The Student Room Group

Do you feel people asking lots of questions In a convo awkward?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks

usually sweet but not when it becomes an interrogation
Reply 2
if theyre about me personally then not really

otherwise then yeah, it makes you feel like the other person is rlly listening to and its so much easier to break the ice and move on from small talk

one of my favourite people ive ever met does this and shes just so easy to get on with
Reply 3
Original post by sotor
if theyre about me personally then not really

otherwise then yeah, it makes you feel like the other person is rlly listening to and its so much easier to break the ice and move on from small talk

one of my favourite people ive ever met does this and shes just so easy to get on with

Hmm. What do you mean by “if they’re not about you personally”? How indirectly about you personally can the question?

But yeah I mean the latter. Is your friend well liked then? And is this because of how well socially intelligent she is? Is that then a typical sign of charisma?
Sometimes.
It usually depends on the type of questions, whether they are spoken or shouted and if there is any aggression/unpleasantness/negative agenda.
Some people have a habit of asking a lot of questions because they have a lot of curiosity, low attention span or want to dominate the conversation on their own terms.
Reply 5
Original post by londonmyst
Sometimes.
It usually depends on the type of questions, whether they are spoken or shouted and if there is any aggression/unpleasantness/negative agenda.
Some people have a habit of asking a lot of questions because they have a lot of curiosity, low attention span or want to dominate the conversation on their own terms.

What’s bad about people wanting to dominate the conversation on their own terms especially if they possess good social skills?
Reply 6
Thanks

No, i actually think it shows signs of interest. If you aren’t asking questions then how do you keep conversations going?
Reply 7
Original post by HateOCR
No, i actually think it shows signs of interest. If you aren’t asking questions then how do you keep conversations going?

Well shouldn’t a conversation be a back and forth exchange of ‘questioner’ and ‘answerer’?
What’s bad about people wanting to dominate the conversation on their own terms especially if they possess good social skills?

It can depend on the situation and agenda of the people involved.
A friendly conversation between two reasonable adults is supposed to be two way, with neither person trying to dominate.

Bullies, religious zealots and domestic abusers will often try to dominate a conversation to prove that they have all the power.
For example- a conversation with a jehovah's witnesses trying to convert you on your doorstep, after you say "no thanks I'm not interested".
Uusually involves: threats of hell, accusations of defying the almighty, questions about whether you are afraid of death/living in ignorance/evil.

Because a pleasant conversation should be a two way thing, with each participant contributing an equal amount to the conversation dynamic. If one person is dominating the conversation, then it either becomes a lecture or a "shout-down".
Thanks

This is an interesting question, especially for those with anxiety.

Depends what they are asking?
Who is asking?
How they ask.?
Why they ask?

I would normally assess all those 4 factors. If it gets to the stage of awkward I would ask why.
If I felt they were off in any of those categories I would shut it down by deflection, refusal or challenge.
I never give out information I am uncomfortable with and I dont have to or wish to.
If someone was anxious then they should learn these techniques including how to be more assertive, how to read people, how to divert them and controlling a conversation.
Well shouldn’t a conversation be a back and forth exchange of ‘questioner’ and ‘answerer’?

Not necessarily? If someone told me about their trip to like Spain i’d expect the conversation to revolve around them. It depends on the situation, its really hard to answer this thread question without a basis for me to elaborate on.

Dominating a conversation does not equate to good social skills, quite the opposite.
Depends on the question. Things like ‘how much do you earn’ ‘what road do you live on’ ‘what’s your mothers maiden name’ - could fit into awkward category.

Things like ‘what do you think about (recent news article)’ etc = not annoying as it’s conversational, in a good way.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by HateOCR
Not necessarily? If someone told me about their trip to like Spain i’d expect the conversation to revolve around them. It depends on the situation, its really hard to answer this thread question without a basis for me to elaborate on.

If you revolve a conversation about yourself then surely it makes you narcissistic (not you personally)?
If you revolve a conversation about yourself then surely it makes you narcissistic (not you personally)?

It depends whether or not the person you’re talking to is interested. If they’re not and you are persistently talking about yourself then yes you probably are narcissistic
Original post by HateOCR
It depends whether or not the person you’re talking to is interested. If they’re not and you are persistently talking about yourself then yes you probably are narcissistic

No that is wrong. A narcissist wouldn’t simply enter a conversation for the sake of not being interested

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending