The Student Room Group

Does God exist?

Do you believe in God? What are your beliefs of the afterlife?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No god.
No afterlife, just eternal nothingness, peace.
Don’t believe in god but I am also an economist and game theory suggests that the trade offs of believing are much higher than not believing. But my rational self still won’t let me believe.
As for afterlife, ain’t no such thing honey.
Reply 3
Original post by batter mix
Don’t believe in god but I am also an economist and game theory suggests that the trade offs of believing are much higher than not believing. But my rational self still won’t let me believe.

Pascal’s wager. Total crap, any god worth the title would know you don’t really believe but just pretend to. Then all you are doing is lying for favour, which should earn you a spot in hell if afterlife exists.
Reply 4
Original post by wxgmak

No reason in discussing truth claims that have no evidence behind them.
Original post by Bio 7
Pascal’s wager. Total crap, any god worth the title would know you don’t really believe but just pretend to. Then all you are doing is lying for favour, which should earn you a spot in hell if afterlife exists.

There you go. Now I have no reason whatsoever. My rational, logical self can go on not believing peacefully. ✌️
Yes.
Reply 7
Original post by wxgmak

I am a Nichiren Buddhist. life is an eternal cycle.
absolutely.

when we die, our soul will either go to heaven or hell for all eternity.

where we go depends on whether or not we believed solely on Jesus Christ for salvation and didn't trust in our good deeds.

if we believe on Jesus, trusting in him only to save us, we go to heaven.
if we didn't, either by not believing he's true or trusting in our own good deeds, we go to hell.
Define God.

Then determine a repeatable, observable, measurable and falsifiable experiment to prove the hypothesis.

If an experiment fulfilling the criteria cannot be determined, the original question is meaningless.
I believe in God, yes :smile: I’m a Christian, although I wasn’t raised Christian so I have some views that are different than normal I suppose. As for afterlife, I believe in heaven as reunion with God, the eternal life-giving spirit. I don’t know whether I really believe in Hell as a place that humans go to but I believe in it as an underworld where evil comes from. I also believe in both heaven and hell as states of existence- heaven being close to God and hell as being far from God

:smile: I find other people’s beliefs so interesting as well!
I don't believe in God. No afterlife either.
I don't because it doesn't scientifically make sense. As for afterlife, I believe there's nothing but I want there to be reincarnation so I can have a good life next time lol.

If god does exist though he is one mean son of a b****
Reply 13
Original post by uberteknik
Define God.

Then determine a repeatable, observable, measurable and falsifiable experiment to prove the hypothesis.

If an experiment fulfilling the criteria cannot be determined, the original question is meaningless.

The logical positivism is strong with this one.

Can you define an experiment that falsifies your moms love for you?
Can you define an experiment that falsifies that statement?
Does most of the knowledge you have submit to the verification principle?
My essay on the matter, I would say that there is undeniable logic behind that or a creator, as for God...
Original post by batter mix

Not true, many Gods would punish you for worshipping the wrong God over not believing because you feel there is a lack of evidence. You can't fake belief either to hedge your bets, an omniscient being with see right through it. Pascal's Wager is fundamentally flawed.
Original post by Justbeingmyself
Not true, many Gods would punish you for worshipping the wrong God over not believing because you feel there is a lack of evidence. You can't fake belief either to hedge your bets, an omniscient being with see right through it. Pascal's Wager is fundamentally flawed.

I think life is just a dream within a dream within a dream. So at some point you'll wake up. And that's how we die.
Reply 17
Original post by Justbeingmyself

Why would you worship a punishing god?
Original post by wxgmak

If God isn't real, how are we alive?
Original post by 3smiles
The logical positivism is strong with this one.

Can you define an experiment that falsifies your moms love for you?
Can you define an experiment that falsifies that statement?
Does most of the knowledge you have submit to the verification principle?

You can't simply 'define God'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending