The Student Room Group

Commonwealth Shared Scholarship 2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Nas25
Thanks for the encouragement. Just wanted to ask questions relating to References. Are we only required to submit a reference letter if nominated for the CSSS, because that is the info I'm seeing in the CSSS portal.

True. This surprised me to be honest.
The norm before was that after each application, an automatic mail is sent to your referees.
But with what they said, I think we're to still provide the details of our referees but they'll only be asked to submit references if we're nominated or on reserve list.
My two cents.
Reply 21
Its confusing indeed. It means decisions will be made without input from your referees. I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing.
Reply 22
Original post by Nas25
Its confusing indeed. It means decisions will be made without input from your referees. I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

Yea. It depends on how you see it, though. For one, references will no longer hinder the number of applications one can make. Again, the CSC probably realised that some candidates craft very convincing references by themselves, create emails and send the references on behalf of their referees.
But as you said, it means the references are no longer used in evaluating the academic merits of candidates. It's now based on examination results, awards and publications. Anyway, all things work together for our good.

My two cents.
Original post by Olasosweet
Wow, congratulations!!!
Your first class truly puts you at an advantage. Ensure you write a beautiful essay on benefits to home country and you are good to go. I heard that section of the application carries most of the marks.

Original post by eureka01
Congratulations!!!
I also applied to Cranfield though they'll let me know of their decision by the eighteenth of February.
At this stage, its difficult to say anything about the possibility of getting nominated. Cranfield has 10 slots and that's likely to attract many applications to them. But with your first class, it should put you at an advantage, though.
Just keep hope alive. Cheers.

My two cents

Thank you guys...
Applications hasn’t closed yet but niggur is so anxious😟
Yes and I think it makes sense.
Referees will submit reference to the universities in support of your studies anyway.
This is how I’ve always prayed it should be made. Then, it was overly stressful chasing Professors and other lecturers for recommendation for about 5 or more CSC EAS Applications then in the end your application turnout unsuccessful or you’re on the reserved list and not considered later. It makes going to them again for reference the following year very difficult.
Now what I think the CSC is going to do with the after nomination reference is to aid in confirming provisional nominees.
Obviously average reference or bad reference could push them to decline your provisional nomination and give opportunity to the reserve if his/hers is better.
Reply 25
Original post by Patrick Quaye
Referees will submit reference to the universities in support of your studies anyway.
This is how I’ve always prayed it should be made. Then, it was overly stressful chasing Professors and other lecturers for recommendation for about 5 or more CSC EAS Applications then in the end your application turnout unsuccessful or you’re on the reserved list and not considered later. It makes going to them again for reference the following year very difficult.
Now what I think the CSC is going to do with the after nomination reference is to aid in confirming provisional nominees.
Obviously average reference or bad reference could push them to decline your provisional nomination and give opportunity to the reserve if his/hers is better.

Hey Patrick, didnt know you applied before...how did you find the entire process last time out, i am a first time applicant
Reply 26

It's still sort of confusing though. But it's relieving nonetheless. The implication of this is that the volume of application each school receives will be increased. Longer term implication is that if you end up as a reserve, it will be almost a good a news as being nominated. And if you're nominated, the tension just got a notch higher.

My two cents.
I did before. The process isn’t anything different from this, just that this time around, CSC considered our query by requesting for reference only when applicants are being nominated or reserved.
last year I was only able to put in two applications and I was reserved for one which later turned out unsuccessful.
The focus is not on only the Development Impact statement (Country benefit). Your application is considered with all its content just that most attention is given to your country benefit before the panel proceeds to look at other things that you have better than others.
Now everybody knows the country benefit statement fetches marks so people are putting in a good one. When everybody’s own is good, they’ll turn to look at personal statement, objectives during the award, long and short term statements to make a consideration.
Last year a friend who made a second class upper was considered over me for the same programmme we both applied for.
You know why?
I was complacent and didn’t have time to craft good essays.
Thought “FIRST CLASS” 😂 will take me through

In short, have time to craft your entire application to look captivating.

(Original post by Nas25)
Hey Patrick, didnt know you applied before...how did you find the entire process last time out, i am a first time applicant
Who else is aware applications to SOAS, University of London for admission is closed for applicants interested in CSSS?
Reply 29
Who else is aware applications to SOAS, University of London for admission is closed for applicants interested in CSSS?

That's not possible. The CSC made it clear that all applications should end the same date, which in this case is the 14th of next month. How did you come about that conclusion?
Reply 30
I did before. The process isn’t anything different from this, just that this time around, CSC considered our query by requesting for reference only when applicants are being nominated or reserved.
last year I was only able to put in two applications and I was reserved for one which later turned out unsuccessful.
The focus is not on only the Development Impact statement (Country benefit). Your application is considered with all its content just that most attention is given to your country benefit before the panel proceeds to look at other things that you have better than others.
Now everybody knows the country benefit statement fetches marks so people are putting in a good one. When everybody’s own is good, they’ll turn to look at personal statement, objectives during the award, long and short term statements to make a consideration.
Last year a friend who made a second class upper was considered over me for the same programmme we both applied for.
You know why?
I was complacent and didn’t have time to craft good essays.
Thought “FIRST CLASS” 😂 will take me through

In short, have time to craft your entire application to look captivating.

(Original post by Nas25)

This is kind of comforting to know that there is no senseless bias for first class candidates over second class folks (sorry about that though).
Seeing this kind of comment from a past applicant wants to make me look at my essay twice.
By the way, who else is noticing that the round of applications for this year isn't so viral among candidates. I mean, few people are talking about this. Or are all candidates on ghost mode?
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Reply 31

Yeah I submitted my admission application to SOAS on the 6th of February which happened to be the deadline for consideration for the CSSS. The notice is on their website
Reply 32
This is kind of comforting to know that there is no senseless bias for first class òcandidates over second class folks (sorry about that though).
Seeing this kind of comment from a past applicant wants to make me look at my essay twice.
By the way, who else is noticing that the round of applications for this year isn't so viral among candidates. I mean, few people are talking about this. Or are all candidates on ghost mode?
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Candidates will come around after the deadline, some are just too busy submitting admission applications and preparing documents and essays for the scholarship application. Its after the deadline when people have nothing to do but wait is when people usually come around to discuss their experiences...
Reply 33
Original post by Nas25
Yeah I submitted my admission application to SOAS on the 6th of February which happened to be the deadline for consideration for the CSSS. The notice is on their website

OK. I didn't see the post well enough. I thought it was application for the scholarship.
Original post by Nas25
Candidates will come around after the deadline, some are just too busy submitting admission applications and preparing documents and essays for the scholarship application. Its after the deadline when people have nothing to do but wait is when people usually come around to discuss their experiences...

OK then, thanks.
Reply 34
Greetings everyone, this forum has been silent for a bit, hope all is going well with you eurek01, olasosweet and Patrick Quaye.
Reply 35
Original post by Nas25
Greetings everyone, this forum has been silent for a bit, hope all is going well with you eurek01, olasosweet and Patrick Quaye.

Thanks dear. Yea, all is going well. We just believe in God to perfect this. I guess the others are swamped with crafting killing arguments... Lol.

By the way, who has applied to Uni of Bristol? It seems there's no waiver on taking the IELTS test for students from Nigeria. Anyone with an idea?
Reply 36
Thanks dear. Yea, all is going well. We just believe in God to perfect this. I guess the others are swamped with crafting killing arguments... Lol.

By the way, who has applied to Uni of Bristol? It seems there's no waiver on taking the IELTS test for students from Nigeria. Anyone with an idea?

I didn't apply to uni of Bristol but some universities do accept WAEC as an equivalent...Uni of Reading gave me a conditional offer with the condition of 6.5 in IELTS, I wrote to them telling them I did WAEC and they wrote back saying the equivalent score for WAEC was a C6, I intend to submit my WAEC results to meet this condition.
Reply 37
Original post by Nas25
I didn't apply to uni of Bristol but some universities do accept WAEC as an equivalent...Uni of Reading gave me a conditional offer with the condition of 6.5 in IELTS, I wrote to them telling them I did WAEC and they wrote back saying the equivalent score for WAEC was a C6, I intend to submit my WAEC results to meet this condition.

Exactly. All the schools that gave me admission either demanded for WAEC or asked for proof that you were taught in English. I have both and didn't think I would have issues meeting the English language conditions.
That's a shame though. Bristol used to be my first choice.. Pity.

On other news, so you're a Nigerian. That makes three of us now. I think Patrick is Ghanian, from the name. Might be wrong though. Cheers.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah I’m a Ghanaian 🇬🇭
eureka whatsapp with Cranfield University?
My twin sister got a bad news yesterday from Cranfield regarding her request to be considered for CSSS

(Original post by eureka01)
Exactly. All the schools that gave me admission either demanded for WAEC or asked for proof that you were taught in English. I have both and didn't think I would have issues meeting the English language conditions.
That's a shame though. Bristol used to be my first choice.. Pity.

On other news, so you're a Nigerian. That makes three of us now. I think Patrick is Ghanian, from the name. Might be wrong though. Cheers.
Why is it that I can’t post images here.
I’d wanted to post the content of the message from Cranfield Uni to my twin sister regarding her request here

Quick Reply

Latest