The Student Room Group

Gcse aqa English literature exam

Hello please can u give me some tips on how to tackle the unseen poetry section. My target grade is an 7 but I would really love to get a 9, so if you have any tips or techniques please could u let me know. Thanks.
practising unseen poetry questions are the best way to improve- no other way really as you won't know what poem'll come up.
Original post by entertainmyfaith
practising unseen poetry questions are the best way to improve- no other way really as you won't know what poem'll come up.

Hi thank you for your reply I struggle with finding the interpretations/analysis. Any suggestions?
Original post by Jeanderson14
Hi thank you for your reply I struggle with finding the interpretations/analysis. Any suggestions?

it's a matter of looking at a poem like you would with one in the anthology :smile: obviously your analysis won't be as much in depth as it's unseen. so you'll need to look at the techniques used, rhyming patterns (if any), the structure, the tone/mood, word analysis poet's intentions... but under timed conditions
Original post by entertainmyfaith
it's a matter of looking at a poem like you would with one in the anthology :smile: obviously your analysis won't be as much in depth as it's unseen. so you'll need to look at the techniques used, rhyming patterns (if any), the structure, the tone/mood, word analysis poet's intentions... but under timed conditions

Thank you!!!
Original post by Jeanderson14
Thank you!!!

no worries, best of luck with english :smile:
You need to compile a list of poetic techniques, know what they mean and see examples in an actual poem. Learn that and practice with unseen poetry and/or past papers and you'll be fine!

Quick Reply

Latest