The Student Room Group

Weil Gotshal & Manges

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I have not even gotten the test email
Original post by petriegypt
Reading with interest. I don't understand how non law and law first years can apply for the same schemes. How will the lawyers at the firm expect non law people to know as much?

1st year schemes require no legal knowledge, and also non law students apply for vac schemes alongside law students. These schemes are not looking for people with legal knowledge, but rather transferable skills and the right attitude to be a lawyer e.g. research, drafting etc. :smile: the exercises you get asked to do for example are commercially focussed case studies, negotiations etc. Sorry if i've just waffled and hope that kind of makes some sense? :smile:

PS non-law students can have legal experience- I'm a non law student and spent a year as a legal assistant (along the lines of a paralegal) so like to think I have some legal knowledge :wink:
Did VI - think I messed it up. Anyone had a reply post-interview?
I did the Watson Glaser several days ago and still not heard anything. I assume this means I was unsuccessful?
that's interesting mate, and slightly concerning if true... could I ask if you work at Weil?
Original post by daysnake
Did VI - think I messed it up. Anyone had a reply post-interview?

Not necessarily! I thought I made a huge mess of mine and got invited to phone interview after they’d reviewed it! Still hope for you!
Original post by petriegypt
I did the Watson Glaser several days ago and still not heard anything. I assume this means I was unsuccessful?

I’m in the same boat - not looking great to be honest as I know people who took the test at the same time and received a VI invite the next morning. Then again there are also people who haven’t even received a WG test yet so it seems they have a strange approach nonetheless.
Original post by lawboi98
I’m in the same boat - not looking great to be honest as I know people who took the test at the same time and received a VI invite the next morning. Then again there are also people who haven’t even received a WG test yet so it seems they have a strange approach nonetheless.

I didn't even get a WG invite LOOL.
Original post by Blancosdos
I didn't even get a WG invite LOOL.

Would you consider yourself a strong applicant otherwise? ee at a top uni, said you were predicted 2:1, AAB min a level etc etc
phone interview tomorrow- apparently it's only meant to be 15 minutes which seems v short but not complaining... currently learning the very very basics of the technical side of Private equity and it is NOT going well- in fact learning is the wrong word :jester:
Original post by biscuitsnsquash
Would you consider yourself a strong applicant otherwise? ee at a top uni, said you were predicted 2:1, AAB min a level etc etc

Defiantly. Meet all of those requirements.

I have got interviews at some other places, so I don't have any reason to worry... Oh well.
Original post by eleanor27
phone interview tomorrow- apparently it's only meant to be 15 minutes which seems v short but not complaining... currently learning the very very basics of the technical side of Private equity and it is NOT going well- in fact learning is the wrong word :jester:

Good luck!
Defiantly. Meet all of those requirements.

I have got interviews at some other places, so I don't have any reason to worry... Oh well.

Good I'm glad you don't have anything to worry about! I'd really hoped I'd get a video interview as I thought my application was quite strong, Cambridge etc. Oh well, just wait and see and apply to more :smile:
Good I'm glad you don't have anything to worry about! I'd really hoped I'd get a video interview as I thought my application was quite strong, Cambridge etc. Oh well, just wait and see and apply to more :smile:

Good luck!

thank you!
Where else has everyone applied to? we had a 1st year scheme chat last year where we all discussed these things (like the vac scheme one) but there doesnt seem to be one this year :frown:
(^to clarify im a 2nd year on 4 year course hence why was also applying to 1st year schemes last year)
I applied to CC and A&O. Awh lucky you getting to apply to them twice! How about you?
I applied to CC and A&O. Awh lucky you getting to apply to them twice! How about you?

nah can't apply twice just was eligible for some last year and some this year :smile:
applied to and got CC and also Clyde&co this year. Last year I did White & Case and Shearman
Have apps in pending for Weil (no, really?! ;P) simmons, A&O and HSF
nah can't apply twice just was eligible for some last year and some this year :smile:
applied to and got CC and also Clyde&co this year. Last year I did White & Case and Shearman

Well done about CC! How long do you spend on each of those applications?

I'm applying for W&C too... do you have any tips or suggestions(for the 1st year scheme). Good luck with CC Spark too!
Well done about CC! How long do you spend on each of those applications?

thank you! Ahah a long time best advice I ever recevied was that apps are like an extra uni module and including research, drafting and redrafting i'd go as far as almost 20 hours on some and literally 17 drafts
I'm applying for W&C too... do you have any tips or suggestions(for the 1st year scheme). Good luck with CC Spark too!

they're non-rolling (or were last year) I applied really close to the deadline when I had just won positions on society execs so I had more to talk about. The written app is the only stage there's no interview or tests so you really have to impress
Reply 39
Has anyone applied and not received a WG invite? I applied on the day of the deadline (31st Jan)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending