The Student Room Group

Are these A-level subjects suitable for law??????

So I'm in year 11 and I'm thinking about studying law at university (preferably at Oxbridge or a London Uni like LSE or UCL)

For my 3 subjects at A-level, I'd like to take Maths, Government and Politics and Classical Civilisations (and an EPQ on top) as I think that I would enjoy all 3.
The only problem is, and as my father keeps stressing, that I am taking only one 'facilitating subject' (Maths) and I'm concerned that top universities wouldn't shortlist me for taking 2 non-traditional subjects.
Is it better that I choose English over Class Civ? Although it wouldn't be the end of the world if I have to do English, I'd much rather enjoy Class Civ.

Also, anyone who studies/ has studied law at university, could you please give me tips on applying for law at universities? Also, how did you prepare for the LNAT - I've heard that it is among the hardest exams in the world!!

Scroll to see replies

Didn’t read your post, didn’t need to, it’s fine, whatever your choices are, as long as you get top marks.
Original post by Rithika1
So I'm in year 11 and I'm thinking about studying law at university (preferably at Oxbridge or a London Uni like LSE or UCL)

For my 3 subjects at A-level, I'd like to take Maths, Government and Politics and Classical Civilisations (and an EPQ on top) as I think that I would enjoy all 3.
The only problem is, and as my father keeps stressing, that I am taking only one 'facilitating subject' (Maths) and I'm concerned that top universities wouldn't shortlist me for taking 2 non-traditional subjects.
Is it better that I choose English over Class Civ? Although it wouldn't be the end of the world if I have to do English, I'd much rather enjoy Class Civ.

Also, anyone who studies/ has studied law at university, could you please give me tips on applying for law at universities? Also, how did you prepare for the LNAT - I've heard that it is among the hardest exams in the world!!

Tell your Dad that both Classical Civilisations and Government and Politics are both on LSE's list of "traditional academic subjects":

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information

You should check with the individual colleges as some them do favour 2 facilitating. Classics and politics are still well respected though. The other unis will be just fine.
(edited 5 years ago)

maths, history (classical civilisations may be suitable) and English lit would be better, imo.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
Tell your Dad that both Classical Civilisations and Government and Politics are both on LSE's list of "traditional academic subjects":

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information

I tried to but he seems too adamant that Class Civ is an 'arts' subject...... Even though I tried to tell him it's not even close to that
Reply 6
Original post by Maths&physics
maths, history (classical civilisations may be suitable) and English lit would be better, imo.

Problem is I didn't do history for GCSE, and I asked my teacher if it is possible to still do it for A-level, but she said it is not very wise as the new A-levels are harder and I don't have any foundation on the subject
Reply 7
Original post by TheNamesBond.
Didn’t read your post, didn’t need to, it’s fine, whatever your choices are, as long as you get top marks.

Haha, for some reason this has made my day :smile:
Problem is I didn't do history for GCSE, and I asked my teacher if it is possible to still do it for A-level, but she said it is not very wise as the new A-levels are harder and I don't have any foundation on the subject

Ok, do English lit instead and keep classical civilisations and maths.
I just got an offer from Cambridge to study law and I don't take any traditional subjects, so don't worry about it! I took Government and Politics as an AS and I'm taking Ancient History as an A Level (Which is pretty similar to Classics). So it definitely won't limit your options at all!
Reply 10
Original post by CharlieMonster
I just got an offer from Cambridge to study law and I don't take any traditional subjects, so don't worry about it! I took Government and Politics as an AS and I'm taking Ancient History as an A Level (Which is pretty similar to Classics). So it definitely won't limit your options at all!

Wow! Congrats! May I ask what GCSE grades you got and what a- levels you are doing? :tongue:
Reply 11

Do you think politics is not a respected subject?
Do you think politics is not a respected subject?

English lit would be better imo

No, OP should take what she enjoys, she already has her choice, she doesn’t need to change anything.
Original post by s.m999
Wow! Congrats! May I ask what GCSE grades you got and what a- levels you are doing? :tongue:

Thanks, and sure! My GCSE grades are absolutely rubbish compared to all those horror stories you hear about Cambridge; 1A*, 2As, 6Bs. and 2Cs.

And I'm taking Ancient History, Sociology and Law for A Level
Reply 15
Thanks, and sure! My GCSE grades are absolutely rubbish compared to all those horror stories you hear about Cambridge; 1A*, 2As, 6Bs. and 2Cs.

And I'm taking Ancient History, Sociology and Law for A Level

Wowwww! Massive congrats dude... go and celebrate!

Hopefully I'll be in the same position in a couple years!
Original post by TheNamesBond.
No, OP should take what she enjoys, she already has her choice, she doesn’t need to change anything.

100% agree! Law doesn't require any specific subjects! Most universities prefer perspective students to have a broad knowledge because law literally covers every topic ever! You could take media and it could link to copyright law or biology and link it to laws regarding the use of experiments on clones!

Also if you're aiming for the top uni's you need those top grades, which will be a million times harder to do if you're not enjoying your subjects as much as you could.
Original post by s.m999
Wowwww! Massive congrats dude... go and celebrate!

Hopefully I'll be in the same position in a couple years!

I'm sure you will be!
Reply 18
I'm sure you will be!

Did you take the LNAT? (I know that Cambridge doesn't require it but did you take it for other unis?)

If so, how difficult was it in your opinion and how did you prepare for it.
Did you take the LNAT? (I know that Cambridge doesn't require it but did you take it for other unis?)

If so, how difficult was it in your opinion and how did you prepare for it.

I did take the LNAT, I needed it for LSE, Durham and Nottingham. I found it okay. It's the only way I can think to describe it. I didn't enjoy the multiple choice section, most of the answers are very similar and it's hard to pick the right one. On the other hand, I found the essay section fairly straight forward. It's very difficult to prepare for, but the only thing I can suggest is practice like crazy! They have some online papers you can do and I highly suggest you do them. Also, the timing was a big issue for some of my friends so I'd suggest taking some time to sit down and do the papers in timed conditions. Another thing I wasn't aware of until a few weeks before my exam is that it's all on the computer so you might want to get used to typing an essay in 40 minutes. My college also had some sessions arranged to help, I'm sure other places will offer something similar.

Just so you know for Cambridge you have to take the Cambridge Law Test if you get invited to interviews and I found this very similar to the essay section of the LNAT. I hope this helped!!

Quick Reply

Latest