The Student Room Group

Dairy industry threatens vegan cheese shop for having the word cheese

In their products. They say it is misleading consumers.

What a load of bs. I think people know that if they walk into a vegan cheese shop its obvious that all the cheeses are going to have plant base ingredients. Really they only doing this just to jump on the anti vegan bandwagon as they see veganism to be a threat to their industry.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/vegan-cheese-plant-based-dairy-eu-laws-cheesemonger-a8775001.html
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The producers of traditional cheese seem to have EU law on their side.

so will the soy munchers be waving the flag for brexit?
Reply 2
Couldn't care less.
Reply 3
Original post by Joinedup
The producers of traditional cheese seem to have EU law on their side.

so will the soy munchers be waving the flag for brexit?

You realise the animals you eat consume a huge amount of soy...
Original post by DSilva
You realise the animals you eat consume a huge amount of soy...

They really don't. American meat does but not British.
Reply 5
Original post by Decahedron
They really don't. American meat does but not British.

They very much do. 80% of the soy produced in the world is fed to farm animals which are then eaten by meat eaters. So when you eat meat, you're eating soy, tonnes of it.

I also find it bizarre that adults who still drink breast milk (from a cow) describe being vegan as 'unmanly'.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DSilva
They very much do. 80% of the soy produced in the world is fed to farm animals which are then eaten by meat eaters. So when you eat meat, you're eating soy, tonnes of it.

I also find it bizarre that adults who still drink breast milk (from a cow) describe being vegan as 'unmanly'.

Most animals in the UK are fed a combination of grass and maize, soy rarely features in our food chain because we don't grow it.
Original post by DSilva

That's like saying if you eat beef you eat grass. Would you like a grass burger?
Reply 8
Original post by Ralph0211
What a load of bs.

The irony. :moo:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by jameswhughes
That's like saying if you eat beef you eat grass. Would you like a grass burger?

To be fair, I should have been more specific. But yeah you eat it indirectly, just as meat eaters eat huge amounts of soy indirectly. The average meat eater consumes around 61kg of soy a year.

The whole 'soy boy' label perpetuated by 'anti-vegans' relates to the idea that because soy contains oestrogen and vegans eat soy, that vegans are unmanly. But when you eat animals, you're eating oestrogen, plenty of it. Because animals ingest huge amounts of it.

And like I said, it's rather ironic for adult men who still drink breast milk to label vegans as 'unmanly'
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Most animals in the UK are fed a combination of grass and maize, soy rarely features in our food chain because we don't grow it.

That's simply not correct. There's this misconception that farm animals mainly eat grass. The reality is 80-90% of soy produced in the world is eaten by farm animals. UK animals are no exception. We do import food, you know.
Original post by DSilva

That's about as logical as saying when you eat meat from a grazing animal you are eating grass.
Reply 12
Original post by SerBronn
That's about as logical as saying when you eat meat from a grazing animal you are eating grass.

Look at my reply to jameswhughes.

It would be like saying when you eat meat, you are consuming the nutrients contained and hormones contained in grass.
Original post by DSilva
That's simply not correct. There's this misconception that farm animals mainly eat grass. The reality is 80-90% of soy produced in the world is eaten by farm animals. UK animals are no exception. We do import food, you know.

You call it a misconception, I call it experience. When I was in my livestock nutrition lectures not that long ago there was no mention of soy because it isn't something widely used in UK agriculture.

Provide some evidence to your claim.
Reply 14
You call it a misconception, I call it experience. When I was in my livestock nutrition lectures not that long ago there was no mention of soy because it isn't something widely used in UK agriculture.

Provide some evidence to your claim.

Your anecdotal experience doesn't counter actual data and research.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2017/oct/05/vast-animal-feed-crops-meat-needs-destroying-planet

Huge amount of soy are grown in the UK to be fed to farm animals.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DSilva

It's no good looking at global statistics and assuming they apply everywhere. The UK grows little soy and imports almost all of its needs. DEFRA figures show the amount used for livestock feed amounts to about 8-15% of the total feed requirement. Little is used to feed beef cows, and most usage is in the dairy industry.

https://sustainablefoodtrust.org/articles/dairy-cows-livestock-behind-growth-soya-south-america/

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/17/the-eco-guide-to-grass-fed
Reply 16
Original post by DSilva
Huge amount of soy are grown in the UK

There's hardly any grown in the UK. At most 10k HA out of 3 million HA is soy in the UK = 0.33% total arable crop planting.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DSilva
Your anecdotal experience doesn't counter actual data and research.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2017/oct/05/vast-animal-feed-crops-meat-needs-destroying-planet

How about some real UK data.

https://akcagric.co.uk/blog/soya-uk-real-option

From that we can see is produced, a mere 10k ha which is tiny in the grand scheme. Compared with say maize which crops about 300k ha annually.

Grass will always be our largest grown crop for obvious reasons.
Original post by Doonesbury

Best emoticon ive seen and very versatile. Are there other ones like it? A duck one with quack?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending