The Student Room Group

My top 25 universities for international and domestic students.

Average of international and domestic reputation.
1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. UCL
5. LSE
6. Bristol
7. Warwick
8. Manchester
9. Durham
10. St. Andrews
11. Edinburgh
12. Leeds
13. Birmingham
14. Southampton
15. KCL
16. Glasgow
17. Sheffield
18. Nottingham
19. York
20. Bath
21. Exeter
22. Lancaster
23. QMUL
24. Newcastle
25. Cardiff
How have you measured “reputation”?
Original post by PQ
How have you measured “reputation”?

By taking the average of the average domestic (The Complete University guide and The Guardian) and International ranking (QS and THE).
Original post by Bothurin
By taking the average of the average domestic (The Complete University guide and The Guardian) and International ranking (QS and THE).

Please explain your methodology here.

Those don't measure reputation though :confused:
You've taken rankings that use different data sets and that aim to measure different things to create some arbitrary rank, what's this supposed to accomplish???

Arguably what you've created is a big confusing mess because of how different each ranking is. This doesn't even touch on the fact that rankings are basically glorified spin/puff pieces.
Original post by Notoriety
Please explain your methodology here.

As far as rankings go, I'm pretty confident that this list accurately measures their reputation. (The computer science numbers were not included in this ranking).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Wow. Leeds is better than KCL? What happened to King's? I thought this used to be one of the 'big five' or part of England's 'golden triangle' for higher education.
(edited 5 years ago)
As far as rankings go, I'm pretty confident that this list accurately measures their reputation. (The computer science numbers were not included in this ranking).

Fair enough. But as PQ rightly points out, how unis perform in the rankings (e.g. as to student satisfaction and investment in new labs) does not indicate reputation.

Your logic is flawed even for what you've set out to do. You've restricted your sample only to the top 25 in the QS. A university that came 26th in the QS but top 10 in all the other tables you're considering wouldn't be included in your top 25.

You've basically just re-sorted the top 25 in the QS in one year by a bunch of other arbitrary factors.
If you want the real worldwide reputations of UK unis to the world it’s more like :-

1. Oxford
2. Cambridge
“Where’s that is it in London?”
Original post by PQ
Your logic is flawed even for what you've set out to do. You've restricted your sample only to the top 25 in the QS. A university that came 26th in the QS but top 10 in all the other tables you're considering wouldn't be included in your top 25.

You've basically just re-sorted the top 25 in the QS in one year by a bunch of other arbitrary factors.

You're right but let's be honest after QS top 25 it quickly goes south. The only universities that may have missed out are Loughborough and Surrey.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Moments
If you want the real worldwide reputations of UK unis to the world it’s more like :-

1. Oxford
2. Cambridge
“Where’s that is it in London?”

Yeah, the international students asking where you're from. "Teesside, is that near Canary Wharf?"
ranking is trash
Reply 14
League tables are only useful for comparing things like student satisfaction or graduate prospects between 2 unis. That's the only reason I use them.
Original post by Ragboi
League tables are only useful for comparing things like student satisfaction or graduate prospects between 2 unis. That's the only reason I use them.

In which case you’re better off using unistats as it shows the full breakdown of student satisfaction results and more detailed information on graduate employment...and more importantly it shows the information for specific courses instead of for broad subject groups
Regardless of 'reputation' , 'rankings' and all other nebulous nonsense, if you choose 5 top/high grade Unis then you are risking either no offers, or having no lower offer to use as your Insurance., and potentially no place if it goes wrong on Results Day,

The usual advice is
1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - below your predicted grade

More advice on How to Avoid 5 Rejections here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending