5. Plan ahead

6. Buy single

7. Go to the larger supermarkets

8. Shop around

9. Use your university card

How do you save money on food shopping?

See full blogpost by Hallam student Hannah Parker here :clap2::excited:
Hey Acsel,

Thank you for your reply! Yes I hate it when everyone pushes and fights to get reduced food, so silly!!

Very good point that your time is very valuable, however if you are a student, especially in first year and you do have a lot of spare time then shopping around could be a good option as it give you something to do and to get out and you also get cheaper meals!

I find I don't have the freezer or fridge space as I share with three others. Which would you suggest would be better if you don't have the space for bulk buys like me?

Thanks,
Sophia :smile:
Its definitely worth using vouchers if you can.
Loyalty cards (such as tesco clubcard and sainsburys nectar card) can also help.
Find out what time they do reduce food at your local supermarket for the best bargains, but yes don't fight someone for it and make good use of your freezer and freezer bags. whenever i find reduced bagels or other breakfast items, i pre slice them then just defrost them in my toaster when i need them and they tend to last a month in the freezer.
Putting things in your room is a great idea! Didn't think of this so thanks!!
Yes non food products count as well! I do tend to share things like washing up liquid and dishwasher tablets with my roomies so this defo helps!!

Thanks,
Original post by Emma:-)
Its definitely worth using vouchers if you can.
Loyalty cards (such as tesco clubcard and sainsburys nectar card) can also help.

Hey Emma,
Yes great point! I use Sainsburys nectar card and that has given me quite a bit off before!!
Sophia
Original post by claireestelle
Find out what time they do reduce food at your local supermarket for the best bargains, but yes don't fight someone for it and make good use of your freezer and freezer bags. whenever i find reduced bagels or other breakfast items, i pre slice them then just defrost them in my toaster when i need them and they tend to last a month in the freezer.

Hey Claire,

How would you find out when they reduce their food? Yes great idea, I have done this a few times but forgot to pre-slice the bagel which made it a bit tricky when I wanted to eat it haha!
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey Claire,

How would you find out when they reduce their food? Yes great idea, I have done this a few times but forgot to pre-slice the bagel which made it a bit tricky when I wanted to eat it haha!

Just visiting at different times of the day then you ll get a feel for it, Asda do it at about 11 30am for most stuff
Go to the discount section in supermarkets and get most of your shopping from there. thats what i did all through uni
only if you're really uptight would you be put off by dates, most products can actually last a few more days beyond their best before date. i've always eaten food that have been up to two or three days out of date (including sandwiches) and never got ill once

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending