The Student Room Group

Two different marks for the exact same essay

I recently handed a piece of coursework in late. I had extenuating circumstances, and submitted the piece TWICE. Once on the original submission page, once on the extenuating circumstances page.

The essays were absolutely identical up to and including the file name.

The piece was marked on the original page around a week ago, by the module leader, as 65%. I have a complete feedback form with different marks for different parts of the criteria attached to the original submission form.

Today, (a week or so later) after I received an email from the module leader stating that I had achieved 76% for the essay. Attached was a feedback form for the EXACT same essay, marked by the EXACT same module leader.

My assumption is that the module leader released marks for all of the standard submissions around a week ago, and has now today directly forwarded feedback to those with extenuating circumstances.

I have now ended up with two different feedback forms, and two different grades with a discrepancy of 11% making the difference between a 2:1 and a first. I have no idea what to do. The essays are identical, the marker was the same, and there is a massive difference in grades.

For example, on 65% the summary feedback was 'An interesting essay'. On the 76% the summary feedback was 'A good essay. This is a thoughtful and well written essay, more empirical substantiation would have helped secure higher marks'.
On one feedback sheet I received 7/10 for references, on the other I received 9/10. One one feedback sheet I received 19/30 for understanding of theory and another I received 22/30.

Can somebody please advise me what I should do? I have already emailed the module leader (playing dumb) asking why it says 65% on the submission page when their email says 76%. I was wondering if I have any ground to stand on if they try to lower the mark? I find it unbelievable that my mark has depended on pure luck/the mood the marker was in when the marked it. They're identical essays!
Original post by throwaway1998
I recently handed a piece of coursework in late. I had extenuating circumstances, and submitted the piece TWICE. Once on the original submission page, once on the extenuating circumstances page.

The essays were absolutely identical up to and including the file name.

The piece was marked on the original page around a week ago, by the module leader, as 65%. I have a complete feedback form with different marks for different parts of the criteria attached to the original submission form.

Today, (a week or so later) after I received an email from the module leader stating that I had achieved 76% for the essay. Attached was a feedback form for the EXACT same essay, marked by the EXACT same module leader.

My assumption is that the module leader released marks for all of the standard submissions around a week ago, and has now today directly forwarded feedback to those with extenuating circumstances.

I have now ended up with two different feedback forms, and two different grades with a discrepancy of 11% making the difference between a 2:1 and a first. I have no idea what to do. The essays are identical, the marker was the same, and there is a massive difference in grades.

For example, on 65% the summary feedback was 'An interesting essay'. On the 76% the summary feedback was 'A good essay. This is a thoughtful and well written essay, more empirical substantiation would have helped secure higher marks'.
On one feedback sheet I received 7/10 for references, on the other I received 9/10. One one feedback sheet I received 19/30 for understanding of theory and another I received 22/30.

Can somebody please advise me what I should do? I have already emailed the module leader (playing dumb) asking why it says 65% on the submission page when their email says 76%. I was wondering if I have any ground to stand on if they try to lower the mark? I find it unbelievable that my mark has depended on pure luck/the mood the marker was in when the marked it. They're identical essays!

If the original essay was late, then this may be the mark with late deductions included, and these may have been waived for the second essay if they are then considering your extenuating circumstances. Equally, the second mark may be more lenient due to your extenuating circumstances. However ultimately no one will really know and getting in contact with the module leader/marker for your essay will get the true answer. But either way, both marks are really good so well done!
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
If the original essay was late, then this may be the mark with late deductions included, and these may have been waived for the second essay if they are then considering your extenuating circumstances. Equally, the second mark may be more lenient due to your extenuating circumstances. However ultimately no one will really know and getting in contact with the module leader/marker for your essay will get the true answer. But either way, both marks are really good so well done!

The deduction for the original essay would be 0% because it was over a day late.

I think you're probably right that they were more lenient due to it being extenuating circumstances, but that shouldn't be the case - its not right. Either my piece is worth 65% or 76%? Your marks shouldn't depend on bias like that.

Thank you for your kind words, I'm quite worried the original mark will show on my statement of results (65%) instead of the higher mark. Do you think there's anything I can do if this happens?
The deduction for the original essay would be 0% because it was over a day late.

I think you're probably right that they were more lenient due to it being extenuating circumstances, but that shouldn't be the case - its not right. Either my piece is worth 65% or 76%? Your marks shouldn't depend on bias like that.

Thank you for your kind words, I'm quite worried the original mark will show on my statement of results (65%) instead of the higher mark. Do you think there's anything I can do if this happens?

The whole purpose of extenuating circumstances is that the marker is more considerate that it may have been hard for the individual to complete the work, they may not have been able to attend seminars etc, dependent on the circumstances ofc, and thus may give more leeway when marking. It does seem to be quite a jump from 65 to 76 but I suppose it’s still feasible. As I said, your best bet is to find out directly from the module leader as you’re already doing.

If one of the marks is wrong, I’m not 100% sure what happens and I imagine it would be dependent on the uni and course - it may explain in your course handbook. I would guess that another marker may look at the essay to get another opinion but I’m purely guessing. But 65 will not significantly damage your chances as it’s a mid 2.1, so a very strong mark so even if they do award you that mark then I wouldn’t stress too much. However how they will decide that I’m not fully sure!
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
The whole purpose of extenuating circumstances is that the marker is more considerate that it may have been hard for the individual to complete the work, they may not have been able to attend seminars etc, dependent on the circumstances ofc, and thus may give more leeway when marking. It does seem to be quite a jump from 65 to 76 but I suppose it’s still feasible. As I said, your best bet is to find out directly from the module leader as you’re already doing.

If one of the marks is wrong, I’m not 100% sure what happens and I imagine it would be dependent on the uni and course - it may explain in your course handbook. I would guess that another marker may look at the essay to get another opinion but I’m purely guessing. But 65 will not significantly damage your chances as it’s a mid 2.1, so a very strong mark so even if they do award you that mark then I wouldn’t stress too much. However how they will decide that I’m not fully sure!

Hmm. Interesting point about being more considerate etc. Still I think it would be more objective and a yes/no does the individual do this. At my university extenuating circumstances is generally only used to justify late submissions. I'm interested to see what they reply and hoping that I will be awarded the higher grade - at the end of the day I suppose universities want their students to succeed, and they would rather award the grade than admit there are some serious issues with their judgement.
Reply 5

This is always going to happen with subjective tasks like essays. They try and mitigate through having external examiners but it can come down whether they rolled out of bed the wrong side or not. Perhaps both the external and your module leader felt a little more lenient that day.

MCQ's are the only way to objectively grade students (even those can be more of a memory test than knowledge test at times).

If you were given extenuating circumstances to begin with, then that mark should be the one that is awarded, regardless of any others.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending