The Student Room Group

Two different marks for the EXACT same essay 76% vs 65%. SAME MARKER

Hello all, first time posting here.

I recently handed a piece of coursework in late. I had extenuating circumstances, and submitted the piece TWICE. Once on the original submission page, once on the extenuating circumstances page.

The essays were absolutely identical up to and including the file name.

The piece was marked on the original page around a week ago, by the module leader, as 65%. I have a complete feedback form with different marks for different parts of the criteria attached to the original submission form.

Today, (a week or so later) after I received an email from the module leader stating that I had achieved 76% for the essay. Attached was a feedback form for the EXACT same essay, marked by the EXACT same module leader.

My assumption is that the module leader released marks for all of the standard submissions around a week ago, and has now today directly forwarded feedback to those with extenuating circumstances.

I have now ended up with two different feedback forms, and two different grades with a discrepancy of 11% making the difference between a 2:1 and a first. I have no idea what to do. The essays are identical, the marker was the same, and there is a massive difference in grades.

For example, on 65% the summary feedback was 'An interesting essay'. On the 76% the summary feedback was 'A good essay. This is a thoughtful and well written essay, more empirical substantiation would have helped secure higher marks'.
On one feedback sheet I received 7/10 for references, on the other I received 9/10. One one feedback sheet I received 19/30 for understanding of theory and another I received 22/30.

Can somebody please advise me what I should do? I have already emailed the module leader (playing dumb) asking why it says 65% on the submission page when their email says 76%. I was wondering if I have any ground to stand on if they try to lower the mark? I find it unbelievable that my mark has depended on pure luck/the mood the marker was in when the marked it. They're identical essays!
Essay marking is pretty subjective, so that's not surprising honestly. That said it may be submitted essays under extenuating circumstances have a reduction in marks (this was the format at my uni for some modules - 1 day late, 10% less, 2 late, 20% etc to a minimum of 40%). Alternately, it may be they simply tried to type "65" and their fingers were one key over which would give "76", if using the number keys above the the main alphabetic keys (as opposed to the number pad).

However that doesn't account for the different component marks on the assessment sheets... I would recommend querying it, and it appropriate appealing the outcome possibly.
Original post by artful_lounger
Essay marking is pretty subjective, so that's not surprising honestly. That said it may be submitted essays under extenuating circumstances have a reduction in marks (this was the format at my uni for some modules - 1 day late, 10% less, 2 late, 20% etc to a minimum of 40%). Alternately, it may be they simply tried to type "65" and their fingers were one key over which would give "76", if using the number keys above the the main alphabetic keys (as opposed to the number pad).

However that doesn't account for the different component marks on the assessment sheets... I would recommend querying it, and it appropriate appealing the outcome possibly.

Sorry I should have mentioned, the late policy is capped at 0% over 24 hours late (which mine was). It couldn't have been a case of typing it wrong because there are individual different marks within the feedback sheets...

How do you think I can go about appealing it? I think its crazy that my mark is determined by luck/chance. Its the exact same marker as well
Original post by throwaway1998
Sorry I should have mentioned, the late policy is capped at 0% over 24 hours late (which mine was). It couldn't have been a case of typing it wrong because there are individual different marks within the feedback sheets...

How do you think I can go about appealing it? I think its crazy that my mark is determined by luck/chance. Its the exact same marker as well

Honestly I wouldn't be so surprised that your mark could vary so much - it's a huge change but one of my tutors this year openly admitted to marking while drunk. In another instance, last year I scored 100% on an exam but my transcript showed 56% - I sent an email to the course leader querying this and my transcript was rectified. Perhaps this would be an avenue to pursue?
This type of stuff is exactly why I believe humanities are harder than STEM subjects. And I'm an engineering student so I'm not even biased. The ambiguity is incredibly annoying. I had 5 maths type papers and 1 essay exam.

Got 80+ in the 5. Got 55 in the essay. I can't even complain cause idk how he marks it. With the others i pretty much marked them myself as i was taking the exam
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by dsmith23
Honestly I wouldn't be so surprised that your mark could vary so much - it's a huge change but one of my tutors this year openly admitted to marking while drunk. In another instance, last year I scored 100% on an exam but my transcript showed 56% - I sent an email to the course leader querying this and my transcript was rectified. Perhaps this would be an avenue to pursue?

Yeah, I've sent an email to them. My worry is that the transcript will show the lower mark rather than the 76%. Its so strange because both times it was marked by the same person which shows the lack of consistency in their own judgement. 11% is ridiculous
Original post by throwaway1998
Yeah, I've sent an email to them. My worry is that the transcript will show the lower mark rather than the 76%. Its so strange because both times it was marked by the same person which shows the lack of consistency in their own judgement. 11% is ridiculous

I completely agree. How creative are you allowed to be with your title pages? Perhaps exercise some psychology and try to put them in a good mood and see if you notice a bump in your marks? :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending