The Student Room Group

Royal Holloway VS City University London

Hi, I am a prospective undergraduate student for Law. I recently received offers from Royal Holloway and City respectively, for the LLB.

And I am in a bit of a dilemma!

Being completely in-love with Royal Holloway's campus and community feel, and the fact that it's located somewhere quieter are some of the factors that drew me to it.

However, City University is located in Central London, which has it's perks nonetheless.

Ranking wise Royal Holloway does rank higher than City, however many people I've asked say that City is the better option.

I personally am fond of both, but of course I have to choose one as a Firm. And I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by wynter-rose
Hi, I am a prospective undergraduate student for Law. I recently received offers from Royal Holloway and City respectively, for the LLB.

Being completely in-love with Royal Holloway's campus and community feel, and the fact that it's located somewhere quieter are some of the factors that drew me to it.

However, City University is renowned for it's ease into the BVC and LPC, after graduating. It's also located in London, which is in itself a benefit.

Ranking wise Royal Holloway does rank higher than City, however many people I've asked say that City is the better option.

I personally am fond of both, but of course I have to choose one as a Firm. And I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice.

I think you should pick the one you like the best which is RH as they are both good Unis. It isn't difficult to get onto an LPC course after a Law degree as long as you have a 2.1 (some places would still take you with lower but not advisable due to the competitive nature of Law careers).

You would still be able to do your LPC at City even if you did your degree at RH (but there are loads of places that offer the LPC).

I cannot advise about the BPTC however
(edited 5 years ago)
Any uni can get you on the LPC or BPTC. It's a matter of being able to pay for the course; they're not that selective.

They're probably quite similar in terms of academics, because RHUL's course is so new and City does actually attract some decent academics.

Go to whichever you like more, ultimately. If that's RHUL, knock yaself out. Choosing one over the other is not gonna influence where you end up careers wise. I am curious what your predicted grades and offers are, though. If it's ABB-ish, you're probably not gonna get much better than City or RHUL in London (or Egham).

However, City University is renowned for it's ease into the BVC and LPC, after graduating. It's also located in London, which is in itself a benefit.

Hi wynter-rose!

I'm Alex, an LLB Law finalist at Royal Holloway. Congratulations on those offers! Hopefully I can give a bit of insight into life at Royal Holloway and the degree here.

You're right about the campus and community feel (I guess you've been to see us!) and that the local area is certainly a bit quieter than central London. Equally of course, London isn't far away on the train (I've been in and out quite often over the past month or so for interviews etc) so you get a good balance of leafy Surrey and the city. I guess you should ask yourself how you see yourself living the next few years: the dynamic buzz of the city, or the relative tranquility of our campus? There's no right or wrong answer of course. If you're going to live at this place for at least a few years of your life, make sure you actually want to spend your time there.

Academic staff are really important and ours are just great. While qualifications and academic standing are important, don't forget that you will be working with your academics for a few years, and you need to be able to form a good relationship with them for everything to work effectively. I hope you have managed to meet some (or will do so on an Applicant Visit Day) and see how nice they are. Oh, and don't forget they are all leaders in their respective fields and come from a great range of backgrounds (solicitors, magistrates/judges, UK, EU and international etc).

As far as careers go, I have never felt held back by my institution with regard to careers - if you have the drive and motivation to pursue your dream, it doesn't really matter which university you go to.

If you haven't been to an Applicant Visit Day yet, then it would be great to see you at one! It will offer a taste of what studying here is really like, and you'll get to see me (not for the first time if you've done an open day ahah)!

If you have any follow-up questions and want to talk to me or other students here privately you can do that by clicking here.

Best of luck with this year whatever you decide to do! The best advice is to spend as much time at both places as possible, and just pick the one that you prefer (or the one that 'feels' right) :biggrin:

Alex :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Notoriety
Any uni can get you on the LPC or BPTC. It's a matter of being able to pay for the course; they're not that selective.

They're probably quite similar in terms of academics, because RHUL's course is so new and City does actually attract some decent academics.

Go to whichever you like more, ultimately. If that's RHUL, knock yaself out. Choosing one over the other is not gonna influence where you end up careers wise. I am curious what your predicted grades and offers are, though. If it's ABB-ish, you're probably not gonna get much better than City or RHUL in London (or Egham).

I've been predicted AAAB, I applied to two other universities apart from RHUL and City, but from the start I was slightly biased on which ones I actually wanted to go to. I am waiting on one other university, but seeming unlikely that I'll get an offer. I wanted to start my further research into these two.

I was offered AAB from RHUL and
ABB across three A-Levels from City.
Yeah, I don't really wanna be taught by an "expert" magistrate. The claim is deceitful, as it implies that there are academics who are not experts in their field, found at other unis. I don't know many unis which do not have a comparable or superior quality of academics to RHUL's lot.

I've been predicted AAAB, I applied to two other universities apart from RHUL and City, but from the start I was slightly biased on which ones I actually wanted to go to. I am waiting on one other university, but seeming unlikely that I'll get an offer. I wanted to start my further research into these two.

I was offered AAB from RHUL and
ABB across three A-Levels from City.

I think you can do better than City and RHUL with AAA(B). Why are you tying yourself to London?
Reply 6
Original post by Notoriety
Yeah, I don't really wanna be taught by an "expert" magistrate. The claim is deceitful, as it implies that there are academics who are not experts in their field, found at other unis. I don't know many unis which do not have a comparable or superior quality of academics to RHUL's lot.

I think you can do better than City and RHUL with AAA(B). Why are you tying yourself to London?

I don't want to move out of London, I prefer to stay at home and go to university, so thats one of my main reasons to stay in London.
Reply 7
(Original post by J-SP)RH isn’t even really in London....

Yeah, but it isn't too far out, and especially from the boroughs that are in South West London.
Reply 8
Original post by J-SP
True - although not easy to get to unless you drive

From my nearest station it's about 25 minutes by train, whereas City is about 40-50 minutes by train. But I don't mind the travelling if the University is worth it of course.
From my nearest station it's about 25 minutes by train, whereas City is about 40-50 minutes by train. But I don't mind the travelling if the University is worth it of course.

Don't overlook the walk to and from the train station, which could add a significant chunk of time. I think people overestimate their tolerance for commuting. It's a miserable bore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending