The Student Room Group

A referendum on Irish unity it is time.

Wether you voted remain or leave it has to be said that a referendum on Irish unity is the strongest it has been since the 6 counties were partitioned.

So Unionist or Nationalist, Republican or Loyalist - this is the time when the future of our country should be decided by us as Irish/British citizens.

The main point I'd say to any leave person rubbishing this is the fact that when the Good Friday Agreement was signed it made Belfast different from Dublin as much as it made Belfast different to Finchley therefore we cannot be treated the same.

To any remain person that rubbishes this fact I'd just like to point to your total and utter hypocrisy at not respecting referendum outcomes and not wishing referendums on countries that deserve them.

If the North of Ireland remains or leaves within the UK so be it, but the time for a referendum on Irish unity is upon us.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/13/no-deal-brexit-would-lead-to-vote-on-united-ireland-says-sinn-fein

Scroll to see replies

I don't think so I don't think the Irish want it and personally nor do I.

It's a no from me
Original post by Burton Bridge

It's a no from me

Are you from the mainland if so, your opinion is ofcourse valid but if we include your vote we must include the people of the Republic of Ireland.

It's a no from you and you don't think the Irish want it. Well ofcourse there is unionists in Ireland that don't but there is also Nationalists who do. That's what democracy is.
The aftermath of a possible referendum on Irish unity will plunge NI back to the dark ages, if you thought Brexit was divisive enough wait till the unionists and loyalists start fighting...
Original post by Gingertraveller
Are you from the mainland if so, your opinion is ofcourse valid but if we include your vote we must include the people of the Republic of Ireland.

It's a no from you and you don't think the Irish want it. Well ofcourse there is unionists in Ireland that don't but there is also Nationalists who do. That's what democracy is.

We get it you are a Sinne Fein supporter.

Btw the article doesnt say that, but dont let that stand in your way.
Original post by hello_shawn
The aftermath of a possible referendum on Irish unity will plunge NI back to the dark ages, if you thought Brexit was divisive enough wait till the unionists and loyalists start fighting...

So what you are saying is be held to ransom by people who incite violence?

In reality this was the goal of the IRA to bomb the brits out initially. If UK deserves it within leaving the EU we as a country deserve it.
Reply 6
I've noticed a softening of attitude lately, I must admit. I think reunification is the closest now than it has ever been, but I'm still not sure there's a majority for it.

I'm from the mainland
Original post by 999tigger
We get it you are a Sinne Fein supporter.

Btw the article doesnt say that, but dont let that stand in your way.

Lmao me a Sinn Fein supporter? Give me a break 😂

Saying we deserve a referendum does not make me a Sinn Fein supporter, not does my using a link about them.
Reply 9
Lmao me a Sinn Fein supporter? Give me a break 😂

Saying we deserve a referendum does not make me a Sinn Fein supporter, not does my using a link about them.

Well I'll hazard you aren't DUP...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Well I'll hazard you aren't DUP...

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if I'm not DUP member/supporter I must be a Sinn feiner 😂

Wise up mate.
So what you are saying is be held to ransom by people who incite violence?

In reality this was the goal of the IRA to bomb the brits out initially. If UK deserves it within leaving the EU we as a country deserve it.

Hmmm, that seems to be what's happening right now with the whole backstop issue, what's good for the goose my friend.
Reply 12
So if I'm not DUP member/supporter I must be a Sinn feiner 😂

Wise up mate.

Catch yourself on, big lad!

I'm just messing with you.
Just exactly how is a yes / no vote on something as complex as the NI issue going to solve anything?

I mean - it isn't exactly as if the Brexit referendum has settled the issue of our relationship with Europe has it?
Original post by ByEeek
Just exactly how is a yes / no vote on something as complex as the NI issue going to solve anything?

I mean - it isn't exactly as if the Brexit referendum has settled the issue of our relationship with Europe has it?

Agreed 100%
Wether you voted remain or leave it has to be said that a referendum on Irish unity is the strongest it has been since the 6 counties were partitioned.

So Unionist or Nationalist, Republican or Loyalist - this is the time when the future of our country should be decided by us as Irish/British citizens.

The main point I'd say to any leave person rubbishing this is the fact that when the Good Friday Agreement was signed it made Belfast different from Dublin as much as it made Belfast different to Finchley therefore we cannot be treated the same.

To any remain person that rubbishes this fact I'd just like to point to your total and utter hypocrisy at not respecting referendum outcomes and not wishing referendums on countries that deserve them.

If the North of Ireland remains or leaves within the UK so be it, but the time for a referendum on Irish unity is upon us.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/13/no-deal-brexit-would-lead-to-vote-on-united-ireland-says-sinn-fein

I have always felt either all of Ireland should be in the union or none of it should be. As the republic won’t be joining then I agree a poll should be carried out as to if NI want independence.

I don’t think it should be for them to join the ROI that should be a separate vote for them. It doesn’t mean if they vote for independence they should immediately leave the union as it would inevitably lead to needing a vote ASAP on union with the south and therefore discussions would need to be had.

If they lost that vote they could prepare to be an independent nation if they win they could simply transition to becoming one nation.

I also think we would have to have a scheme where unionists could move to the mainland,.
Original post by paul514
I have always felt either all of Ireland should be in the union or none of it should be. As the republic won’t be joining then I agree a poll should be carried out as to if NI want independence.

I don’t think it should be for them to join the ROI that should be a separate vote for them. It doesn’t mean if they vote for independence they should immediately leave the union as it would inevitably lead to needing a vote ASAP on union with the south and therefore discussions would need to be had.

If they lost that vote they could prepare to be an independent nation if they win they could simply transition to becoming one nation.

I also think we would have to have a scheme where unionists could move to the mainland,.

I'm not sure they would unionists belong in this land as much as nationalist and that would be a great failure in a united country if unionists decided they had to leave based on it being no longer the uk they can't be stopped, but right thinking unionists would know this is their country too.

The North I don't believe could sustain itself in its own economy and with the farce set up of how politics works here. Our politics our decades behind any other of the isles they argue about flags still not about public services. The currently defunct set up of government here is nothing but a sectarian head count really.
Original post by Burton Bridge

It's a no from me

Plenty of us do.
What makes people think that people in mainline Ireland want want this?
Reply 19
Original post by Andrew97
What makes people think that people in mainline Ireland want want this?

The GFA indicated they did. But yes it requires the agreement of the majority of people in both the North and rest of the island.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending