Spanish - 6
Religious education - 6
Geography - 8
Business studies - 6
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Slade786
Hi, I was wondering if I would be able to get into a med school with my GCSEs:Maths - 7English Language - 6English Literature - 4Biology - 8Chemistry - 7Physics - 7Spanish - 6Religious education - 6Geography - 8Business studies - 6Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

What year are you in now
Reply 2
Original post by IMD16
What year are you in now

I’m in year 12
Reply 3
I’m in year 12

Well for year 12, I would recommend you do your a levels first before we can properly tell but the grades u have given are all quite good and are all passes. They will mainly look at maths, English and science which I can see are pretty good. But work hard for your a levels and see what grades you get then
Reply 4
Original post by IMD16
Well for year 12, I would recommend you do your a levels first before we can properly tell but the grades u have given are all quite good and are all passes. They will mainly look at maths, English and science which I can see are pretty good. But work hard for your a levels and see what grades you get then

Ok thanks for the help.
moved to medicine
Reply 6
Original post by entertainmyfaith
moved to medicine

???
Depends on your UCAT and/or BMAT scores - apply tactically
???

your post was in the gcse forum but it was a query about medicine so i moved it to medicine. there's a good few medics that hang around this area so they'll be able to give you advice.
Reply 9
Original post by entertainmyfaith
your post was in the gcse forum but it was a query about medicine so i moved it to medicine. there's a good few medics that hang around this area so they'll be able to give you advice.

Oh ok thanks for the help.
yes you could get in with your GCSE's.

Just make sure to check the GCSE requirements of the medical schools that you are applying to!!
I got 50A*s at GCSE and 100A* at A Level - worried its not enough to get an interview for medicine :frown:
yes!!! some uni's don't even look at gcses too much. Cardiff want 8A*, Birmingham the figure is at 10A*. Yet some unis don't care, e.g. Bristol and Liverpool. Apply strategically and you'll be ok! Good luck!
Reply 13
Original post by darkmed123
yes!!! some uni's don't even look at gcses too much. Cardiff want 8A*, Birmingham the figure is at 10A*. Yet some unis don't care, e.g. Bristol and Liverpool. Apply strategically and you'll be ok! Good luck!

Thanks for the help
Reply 14
Hi, I was wondering if I would be able to get into a med school with my GCSEs:
Maths - 7
English Language - 6
English Literature - 4
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 7
Physics - 7
Spanish - 6
Religious education - 6
Geography - 8
Business studies - 6

GCSE and A level minimum requirements are here:
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

But bare in mind for some med schools you will need far more than the minimum to be considered for interview. This will just let you know which ones may be a no-go based on your grades thus far. However, they are quite good enough for most medical schools
Reply 15
Original post by GANFYD
GCSE and A level minimum requirements are here:
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

But bare in mind for some med schools you will need far more than the minimum to be considered for interview. This will just let you know which ones may be a no-go based on your grades thus far. However, they are quite good enough for most medical schools

Do you have any recommendations for which med schools I should apply to?
all i’d say is apply tactically!!! and don’t underestimate the leverage having an above ukcat gives you. ive got offers from both leicester and notts so far and they’re my top two and i couldn’t be more over the moon! getting into medicine is a check list which is irritating because they won’t truly get to know you until you get there i believe, you’ve got the GCSEs, now get the work experience, ukcat and the personal statement(they list qualities they want on their website) etc good luck! it’s been the most demanding process so far for me but now that i have offers all i’m doing is just revising for a levels!! also a little tip i’d give you is do your ukcat in summer as to not take up time of the school year in september !!! :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by anikaxox555
all i’d say is apply tactically!!! and don’t underestimate the leverage having an above ukcat gives you. ive got offers from both leicester and notts so far and they’re my top two and i couldn’t be more over the moon! getting into medicine is a check list which is irritating because they won’t truly get to know you until you get there i believe, you’ve got the GCSEs, now get the work experience, ukcat and the personal statement(they list qualities they want on their website) etc good luck! it’s been the most demanding process so far for me but now that i have offers all i’m doing is just revising for a levels!! also a little tip i’d give you is do your ukcat in summer as to not take up time of the school year in september !!! :smile:

Thanks for the help and good luck with your a levels
As others above have stated, apply tactically. That is a very good set of GCSE results, but some universities do an initial sift of applicants based on a combination of GCSE scores and UCAT/BMAT results.

I would avoid the med schools that sift on GCSEs with 2A* 3A and 4B, but you would have a more competitive shout at the unis which score more holistically.

Have you been getting in voluntary/paid experience in healthcare settings? That's vital for you personal statement in the Autumn.

If you're doing AS exams this summer, the module marks can also be a useful indicator for the med schools. Do your UCAT/BMAT by August, and then you will know which are the best options come application day in October.

Best wishes.

Hi, I was wondering if I would be able to get into a med school with my GCSEs:
Maths - 7
English Language - 6
English Literature - 4
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 7
Physics - 7
Spanish - 6
Religious education - 6
Geography - 8
Business studies - 6
Reply 19
Original post by 学生の父
As others above have stated, apply tactically. That is a very good set of GCSE results, but some universities do an initial sift of applicants based on a combination of GCSE scores and UCAT/BMAT results.

I would avoid the med schools that sift on GCSEs with 2A* 3A and 4B, but you would have a more competitive shout at the unis which score more holistically.

Have you been getting in voluntary/paid experience in healthcare settings? That's vital for you personal statement in the Autumn.

If you're doing AS exams this summer, the module marks can also be a useful indicator for the med schools. Do your UCAT/BMAT by August, and then you will know which are the best options come application day in October.

Best wishes.

I have currently started voluntary work at a care home and I am looking to do work experience in the summer. Also, I have done work experience in a pharmacy, but I am not sure if this is relevant anymore Adam I had done it in Year 10. Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending