The Student Room Group

First-year scheme applications

This year I have applied for Allen & Overy's First scheme, Herbert Smith Freehills' first-year workshop and Linklaters' Pathfinder scheme (for which there is already a discussion thread here).

I have completed the online assessments for all three, and have been told I have passed A&O's and Herbert Smith Freehills'. I have yet to hear from Linklaters.

Is there anyone else on here going through the application process for these schemes? How are you getting on?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CatusStarbright
This year I have applied for Allen & Overy's First scheme, Herbert Smith Freehills' first-year workshop and Linklaters' Pathfinder scheme (for which there is already a discussion thread here).

I have completed the online assessments for all three, and have been told I have passed A&O's and Herbert Smith Freehills'. I have yet to hear from Linklaters.

Is there anyone else on here going through the application process for these schemes? How are you getting on?

ahh I remember you from last year's thread! If I remember rightly you're also on a 4 year course (or have I entirely made this up...)

Applied and got Clyde&Co and Clifford Chance. Final round phone call for Weil happening in the next hour, and also got applications in to Simmons (SJT passed, VI to do), A&O (SJT passed) and HSF (need to do the test still)
Original post by eleanor27
ahh I remember you from last year's thread! If I remember rightly you're also on a 4 year course (or have I entirely made this up...)

Applied and got Clyde&Co and Clifford Chance. Final round phone call for Weil happening in the next hour, and also got applications in to Simmons (SJT passed, VI to do), A&O (SJT passed) and HSF (need to do the test still)

Hey there, I remember you too! I feel like this year we're in a much better place to make applications. I know that for me personally I am much more knowledgeable about the different firms and the industry as a whole than I was this time last year. It's amazing the difference a year makes.
Hey there, I remember you too! I feel like this year we're in a much better place to make applications. I know that for me personally I am much more knowledgeable about the different firms and the industry as a whole than I was this time last year. It's amazing the difference a year makes.

totally agree! and so many more experiences to talk about through being on society execs etc. feel so much stronger this year!
totally agree! and so many more experiences to talk about through being on society execs etc. feel so much stronger this year!

That's true. I'm not on any society committees, but I have been doing pro bono work, I'm a course representative this year, I've been involved with negotiating again, etc. I've also obviously had the chance to attend more firm events and ask questions about life as a trainee and all that kind of thing. I also had some work experience in September so I have that under my belt too.

Did you manage to get on any of the schemes last year?
I've applied to CC, AO, Weil, Simmons and HSF. No luck so far but done various tests online so awaiting further news.

Any idea how long AO take to get back after passing the test?
That's true. I'm not on any society committees, but I have been doing pro bono work, I'm a course representative this year, I've been involved with negotiating again, etc. I've also obviously had the chance to attend more firm events and ask questions about life as a trainee and all that kind of thing. I also had some work experience in September so I have that under my belt too.

Did you manage to get on any of the schemes last year?

Yeah last year I did Sherman, White & Case and Mishcon de Reya.

I'm on 4 execs, judge the law soc commercial negotiations, am a course rep and work 25 hours a week in a restaurant (no I dont have any down time ahah).

Yeah going to more events etc. and getting to know people in the firms has certainly been super useful and I've worked on some v cool projects in my Legal Assistant job recently which gave me a lot to talk about :smile:
Original post by petriegypt
I've applied to CC, AO, Weil, Simmons and HSF. No luck so far but done various tests online so awaiting further news.

Any idea how long AO take to get back after passing the test?

After doing the A&O SJT I got an email immediately (like within a minute) saying I had passed it and been progressed
@eleanor27 gosh you do lots of stuff outside of academic studies whilst at university! I'm glad we are not allowed to work a job during term at Oxbridge, not that we would have time anyway:tongue:
So tempted to shove a lawyer joke here.

I can’t resist (sorry catus) I’ll delete the comment if you wish

What’s the only thing that doesn’t work when fixed?
A jury.
(edited 5 years ago)
Heya I'm doing CC (June) and Ashurst. I've been do a bunch of open days and will be doing Latham next Thurs. Have also applied a bunch of others and am waiting to hear back after VI on Baker and Simmons. Would love to get to know anyone else doing Ashurst!
Yeah last year I did Sherman, White & Case and Mishcon de Reya.

I'm on 4 execs, judge the law soc commercial negotiations, am a course rep and work 25 hours a week in a restaurant (no I dont have any down time ahah).

Yeah going to more events etc. and getting to know people in the firms has certainly been super useful and I've worked on some v cool projects in my Legal Assistant job recently which gave me a lot to talk about :smile:

Wow you are doing a lot! I was debating applying for White & Case, but recently I've gone off them as a firm. I don't think I like the culture of American firms and I'm even wavering on the City itself - I may just stay here in Leeds.

After doing the A&O SJT I got an email immediately (like within a minute) saying I had passed it and been progressed

Same here.

Original post by Andrew97
So tempted to shove a lawyer joke here.

I can’t resist (sorry catus) I’ll delete the comment if you wish

What’s the only thing that doesn’t work when fixed?
A jury.

It's very true.

Hey!

So far I've applied to CC, Weil, NRF, HSF, Linklaters and Freshfields. I've got on CC SPARK and all the other apps are still 'pending'. Have also tried to go to as many US Firm Open Days as possible.

The application process is quite full-on but I think has been a worthy investment, especially for vacation schemes next year.

Anyone on here applied to non-legal (Finance or Consulting) schemes as well?
Original post by lawboi98
Hey!

So far I've applied to CC, Weil, NRF, HSF, Linklaters and Freshfields. I've got on CC SPARK and all the other apps are still 'pending'. Have also tried to go to as many US Firm Open Days as possible.

The application process is quite full-on but I think has been a worthy investment, especially for vacation schemes next year.

Hey there, welcome to the thread!
I've decided I'm not really a fan of US firms personally.

I was looking to apply for other fields, but I quickly realised that I'm not that interested. Law is all I want to do.
Original post by lawboi98
Hey!

Whats the next stage after Freshfields? I don't think they specify online.
Original post by Blancosdos
Whats the next stage after Freshfields? I don't think they specify online.

I've not heard anything after submitting - maybe after the deadline they will send a WG link. Also, at an open day grad rec said that they may be doing phone interviews this year.
Has anyone applied to Simmons & Simmons?
Original post by biscuitsnsquash
Has anyone applied to Simmons & Simmons?

yeah me just did the practise tests for the logic and verbal reasoning and found them so hard- especially the logic one!!
yeah me just did the practise tests for the logic and verbal reasoning and found them so hard- especially the logic one!!

Did you apply for the spring insight scheme.

All I had to do was a situational judgement test. Did they send u a verbal reasoning test after the SJT?
I haven't had the verbal reasoning invite yet, I sent my app off about 10 mins before the deadline so they won't have had chance to review my app.

Blancos, yes they send that if you pass the test and they like your app

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending