The Student Room Group

Unfairly rejected by UCL

I-a
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m pretty sure UCL says on their website that they don’t accept readjusted predicted grades. I’ll try to find it.

Edit:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/academic-manual/sites/academic-manual/files/annex_1.1.1_ug_admissions_policy_0.pdf

Page 4, number 22. Did you follow those procedures listed? I agree it’s unfair but did you not think it sensible to contact your universities? You could always appeal if you really want to go to UCL, which is what I’d do.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by anonymous1231231
I’m pretty sure UCL says on their website that they don’t accept readjusted predicted grades. I’ll try to find it.

Edit:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/academic-manual/sites/academic-manual/files/annex_1.1.1_ug_admissions_policy_0.pdf

Page 4, number 22. Did you follow those procedures listed? I agree it’s unfair but did you not think it sensible to contact your universities? You could always appeal if you really want to go to UCL, which is what I’d do.

I wasn't aware that I had to contact the university as my referee said that she had resolved the issue (which she hadn't)
It’s not an unfair situation, if they have stated procedures that weren’t followed. It’s a predictable situation, like it or not.
Original post by MaterialDesign
I wasn't aware that I had to contact the university as my referee said that she had resolved the issue (which she hadn't)

It was up to your referee to sort UCAS, but up to you to sort out your universities. Appeal if you want, but the issue is that they’re procedure for cases like this is clearly stated on their website. Unfortunately, your negligence towards this I’ll probably not bode well. I’d still appeal if you really really want UCL, there’s no harm in trying. But it’s unreasonable to claim their rejection as unfair or unwarranted.
Reply 5
ultimately its negligence on your referee’s part, not on ucl’s part. they made the decision fairly based on the information they were given, as unfair as it may be in retrospect. it would be understandable if your referee contacted them before the 15th jan and ucl were negligent in changing them, but any time past that doesn’t fulfil ucl protocol, as harsh as it is.
ultimately predicted grades are only one of the factors for getting in, but if you really want to go to ucl you could reapply thru ucas extra OR reapply next year with your actual results.

You've had a setback in life, how are you going to deal with it? One option is to take a gap year and reapply for 2020.
Getting rejected by a university is something you need to just accept. Even if you met the MINIMUM grades you might still have been rejected. Look at it from the universities angle. Someone didnt meet the grades so the school might have upped them to get their student into university. Your option is either to reapply next year with your actual grades or decide to go to another university. Rejection is part and parcel of life and something we all need to get used to.
I am a Yr.13 student and applied to UCL on the 14th of December for the course Computer Science. However, I got rejected by the university a couple days ago as my predicted grades were lower than the minimum grade, on UCAS. However, the predicted grades on UCAS were incorrect and my referee contacted UCAS regarding it to adjust it before the Christmas half-term, allowing me to meet the minimun requirement (A*A*A). However, it seems that due to my referee negligence, she had to contact the university directly according to UCAS. Even when my referee attempted to clarify the situation with them after the rejection, UCL still declines to reassess my application, blaming its the school fault, even though my other universities were fine with it. Is this allowedm and why am I getting punished for it?

You haven't been unfairly rejected u sent an application they judged it and said No. You then edited the application and they declined to re-look. (not your fault, but its not UCL's ether). They don't have the time to set a track record of re-reviewing applications. It also means candidates could unfairly attempt to change their application for an unfair advantage if they get rejected. get over it or re-apply next year, not a lot u can do now

Quick Reply

Latest