The Student Room Group

Why does society do this to us

We tend to become people we admire insteading of developing our inner psyche and our true beliefs. Humans are manipulated by media and society. We changed into people based on things that we value and we base our opinions and actions subconsciously on them. We then become people that we are not. We are merely a persona and we discard our inner selves.
Its kinda natural tho. There are all types of people: from those who love cars, inanimate objects, murderers, mentally/physically challenged, skin colour, evil, good, clever, religious, atheist, depressed...

If you get what im trying to say?
Tho i agree with u, i probably won't be as shy if my parents weren't conservative, if i fitted in...
Environmental factors..
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kangaroo17
Its kinda natural tho.

See. You’ve been so conditioned to media that you find it natural. The western culture is not conventional to nature if you compare to the more natural cultures there are especially in underdeveloped places
Reply 3
If my inner beliefs are that all babies should be used as sports equipment to be hit with a baseball bat does that mean that by not following this i am a sheep to society
Reply 4
Original post by Zasty
If my inner beliefs are that all babies should be used as sports equipment to be hit with a baseball bat does that mean that by not following this i am a sheep to society

No. That’s soo irrelevant. Humans are social animals. Modern society nullifies our developments of our existential selves. Right from the moment we are born, we are socially conditioned to society for the better or worse. People don’t tend to see what they’ve lost in the process since they don’t adopt an existential perspective however

i dont get what you mean. overthinking this is fine, but you need to realise its environmental factors. We are all linked to each other, to every thing. Even galaxies millions of light years away lmao. What will a human who has developed their own beliefs and inner psyche be like?
Reply 6
An example: a young lady pressured by society to better integrate undertakes cosmetic surgery to completely change her appearance and consequently her personality. She is now an act influenced under social conditioning and she has now lost her existential self
Reply 7
Original post by bspercy
An example: a young lady pressured by society to better integrate undertakes cosmetic surgery to completely change her appearance and consequently her personality. She is now an act influenced under social conditioning and she has now lost her existential self

A young man is feels it's his duty to give his younger sister a spare kidney since they are compatible and his parents believe it is the right option. Little do his parents know he suffers from extreme health anxiety and fears having one kidney will cause him health complications in the future. he has been influenced by evil societal conditioning.
Reply 8
Original post by Zasty
A young man is feels it's his duty to give his younger sister a spare kidney since they are compatible and his parents believe it is the right option. Little do his parents know he suffers from extreme health anxiety and fears having one kidney will cause him health complications in the future. he has been influenced by evil societal conditioning.

Lol u funny ****er. You’ve ridiculed my thread now I don’t even believe what I said
It's nothing to do with society. It's human nature for us to aspire to be more like those that we look up to or admire - not just in the long term either, we subconsciously mirror the behaviours of people we're in the company of if we like them. From the day we come out of the womb, we learn how to behave by copying the behaviours of our parents. Once we're older, we consciously look further than our parents as role models or people to aspire to.
So humans are prone to behave somewhat sheep-like?

That would appear to be consistent with most mammals. The follow the herd mentality.
Makes sense to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending