The Student Room Group

Isaac Physics

A spring with natural length 0.70m requires 3.2N to stretch it by 17.5cm. Work out the force required to stretch the spring to a length of 83cm.

How do i do this question

i got like 5.1 N but its wrong
Reply 1
Original post by Kimberley_P
A spring with natural length 0.70m requires 3.2N to stretch it by 17.5cm. Work out the force required to stretch the spring to a length of 83cm.

f=kx

thats it.
Reply 2
Is the answer 0.48N?
Original post by amal29
Is the answer 0.48N?

it says its wrong
Original post by josejobs
f=kx

thats it.

Thank you

Quick common sense check: how can it require a greater force to stretch it by a lesser distance? (13 cm < 17.5 cm) You should see at once that the answer has to be less than 3.2 N.

It would be better that you write your working than just the answer to demonstrate what you know.

What is the spring constant?

What is the extension of the spring when the length is 83 cm?

Apply F = kx, where x is the extension.
I got 2.4N
Reply 8
Original post by moonlight98
I got 2.4N

Yeah I typed that in and it said 2.4N was correct... unsure of how to get there though.
How did you get that? Can you explain it please?
Original post by ariana_586
How did you get that? Can you explain it please?

Work out spring constant by force / extension, 3.2 / 0.175 = 18.3N/m

Then do force = spring constant x extension = 18.3 x (0.83 - 0.7) = 2.4N

(Also hate to be that guy but instead of bumping old threads start your own if you have a question. The senior figures don’t like people doing that here for some reason).

GGG

Quick Reply

Latest